Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] New Game Mode: BALANCE FIGHT

Lightbulb 
Inspired by 90% of the threads on this forum (the other ones are too short yet), I got an idea for a new game mode. I don't know if it is possible to code that, but here it goes:

You play in teams and each team plays it's own specific physics and weapon balance. Each team has a control point which to defend. If any other team manages to destroy the control point, then the team owning the destroyed control point will receive the physics and weapon balance of the destroying team. The game is won once all teams play with the same physics and weapon balance.

Control points will build themselves up again after some time (time span to be discussed), so if playing in more than two teams, another team might enforce its balance onto the team that lost it's control point.

Once a team's control point is destroyed, such team will do significantly less damage (factor to be discussed) against teams playing with the same balance (the owner of the balance or already "conquered" teams). It will, however, be able to enforce its initial balance on other teams, restoring it's inital balance when destroying the control point of the team that destroyed the own control point.

An example: we got teams (balances) A, B and C.

A destroys B's control point. Now B attacks C (with A's physics), and manages to destroy C's control point. Now C plays with B's balance. A isn't very careful and forgot to guard it's control point. B manages in a surprise rush to destroy A's control point, even though B does significantly less damage against A (since B is still playing with A's balance - and A is not doing less damage against B since it's control point wasn't destroyed!). Now A is playing with B's balance and, by destroying A's control point, B frees itself from A's balance too so all play with B's balance and B wins.

I think this is quite a unique game mode that doesn't exist so far in other games. It could be really fun, and the best is we'll have even more fun designing it since we don't only need to balance several balances, but also to balance those balances in relation to each other! Think of the endless fun discussions we could have!

Actually, while writing this, I started to like the idea despite the sarcastic soil it grew off. But I fear having multiple balances will exceed the limits of darkplaces...

Anyhow, discuss.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

For physics it is roughly doable, for weapon balance not at all (WAY too many cvars controlling that).

This is not an engine limitation, but the QC code would simply get VERY complicated...
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I agree with the last line you wrote, this would be interesting, though my balance would over power Fruitiex's for the most part due to higher health and armor average not to mention overall heavier weapons. The maneuverability under my file would also give an unfair advantage, even if Fruitiex's nex is over powered. Would still be fun though.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Yes, that's why we would need to balance the balances in relation to each other, too.

(01-06-2011, 05:31 AM)divVerent Wrote: For physics it is roughly doable, for weapon balance not at all (WAY too many cvars controlling that).

This is not an engine limitation, but the QC code would simply get VERY complicated...

:o/ Too bad. I suspected it would make problems to code that. *sigh*
My Xonstats Profile

Its doable, not that its at all easy. But the main thing i wonder is what would it prove? Its preddy much a case of comparing apples and bananas imo. So players of balanceXYZ win 99.9% of the time (g_start_weapon_minstanex anyone?); what does that mean? Is balanceXYZ better or worse then the rest?

No, that mustn't happen. That's why I wrote we would need to balance the balances in relation to each other, too. Which would be a piece of cake since we are so experienced in balance discussions already.

It would be more like teams having it's different playing styles due to their different advantages. Sort of like how Protoss/Zerg/Terran behave in Star Craft.

Edit: it also isn't intended to prove anything. This is not to test which balance is better, it's about the fun of forcing your own balance onto other players.
My Xonstats Profile

balanceZerg would win, obviously. ZOMG ZERGRUSH Big Grin

On a more serious note, as divVerent mentioned, the sheer number of cvars involved makes it quite a humongous mess to do; i dont think this is something likely to ever happen.

Yeah I think it would require a lot of restructuring the code, implementing some sort of dynamical cvar system or aliassing complete balance sets and obviously I have no idea what I am talking about.

Still, I like the idea. Even though it's not likely to happen.
My Xonstats Profile

Sounds fun... Fruitiex weapons, Stricklins Weapons and Minsta Weapons Big Grin
All in a beautiful harmony...
[Image: IUBFH.png]

Contact me on irc channel:
#Dietunichtguten @Quakenet

What? There is a "Minsta" balance, too? I thought Minsta was a game mode where the only weapon you have is the minstanex. o.O
My Xonstats Profile

(01-06-2011, 07:45 AM)Halogene Wrote: What? There is a "Minsta" balance, too? I thought Minsta was a game mode where the only weapon you have is the minstanex. o.O

Well, you are correct... Would still be fun tough ^^
[Image: IUBFH.png]

Contact me on irc channel:
#Dietunichtguten @Quakenet

If we do this, then we might as well go as far as to allow each player to pick their physics and balance sets in every gamemode by default. And balance the other physics/balances so that they are all weaker than the default, but still an option if you really really want to use one of them.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

or we could have a nixnexbalance mutator, that randomly switches to a new balance every 30 seconds.

oh, but the balance and physics would have to be COMPLETELY different from each other, and totally illogical. that would make it more fun Smile
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(01-08-2011, 09:58 PM)theShadow Wrote: or we could have a nixnexbalance mutator, that randomly switches to a new balance every 30 seconds.

oh, but the balance and physics would have to be COMPLETELY different from each other, and totally illogical. that would make it more fun Smile

That nix/nexes balance/physics sets. That sounds like it might be more doable that allowing each player their own balance/physics sets.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

BALANCE THREADITIS
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

(01-08-2011, 06:35 PM)FruitieX Wrote: If we do this, then we might as well go as far as to allow each player to pick their physics and balance sets in every gamemode by default. And balance the other physics/balances so that they are all weaker than the default, but still an option if you really really want to use one of them.

Yes, I actually thought about a system like the Empire Earth Civilisation Builder - where you can "buy" sort of special bonusses (increased weapon damage, movement velocities, and so on) for a fixed amount of points. Bonusses in the same group (let's say rocket launcher damage, push force, splash radius and turn angle) become more "expensive" when you already "bought" a bonus from that group so that you need to select wisely.

I had that idea when writing the initial post but felt it would be too complicated to throw at you - but now you had that idea already too! This is a splendid community.

Edit: another benefit from that would be that we could have even MORE balance discussion as with the initial idea, since we'd need to balance every single possible combination of bonusses you can "buy" in the Balance Builder™ against each other and against the default balance. WOULDN'T THAT BE GREAT?!!!ONE

Another Edit: And if we make the Balance Builder™ an obligatory part of any multiplayer Balance Fight game, meaning that every team HAS TO build its own balance from it in beforehand, we wouldn't even need to code the game mode itself. I can hardly imagine even ONE team agreeing on ONE balance for that team, provided it consists of more than one member.
My Xonstats Profile

We could just have a list of balance/physics cvars and the code could set them to random values before each round.
(01-05-2011, 07:17 PM)naryl Wrote: > Ubuntu is an ancient African word that means "cant configure debian"

Actually it's for "I can't install Gentoo".

This really can't be done in a good way though (As divVerent said) Tongue We cannot execute the configs every time it switches as this is BAD BAD BAD (some things won't update anyway, e.g. health balance doesn't change until all items are respawned... usually meaning a restart is required) and we cannot apply specific balances to specific players.

Besides, the idea sucks anyway. Some balances have more powerful weapons than others... nix nex already covers the different weapon idea also ^_^

Wink 
with balanceWTF.cfg Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(01-10-2011, 01:27 PM)Samual Wrote: Besides, the idea sucks anyway. Some balances have more powerful weapons than others... nix nex already covers the different weapon idea also ^_^

What? My Idea sucks? Well thank you go away I don't even listen to you! Pff.
My Xonstats Profile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Sumo game mode BuddyFriendGuy 2 1,978 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] new game mechanic: Flash Steps ballerburg9005 6 2,734 08-22-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,808 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,989 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] A NEW GAME MODE - HIDE AND SEEK! Kotangens 5 3,667 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Destroyable Health mode. Magician 11 7,717 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 5 4,833 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Casual vanilla balance martin-t 59 37,559 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Beemann
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016 hutty 28 19,663 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Borderless (Fullscreen) Windowed Mode Iokast 0 3,222 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Iokast