Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downsides to an autobuild server?

Are there any? Perhaps like people not being able to connect if they aren't up to date?

I just wanna know if it's gonna mess things up if I update my server.

Autobuilds are not guaranteed to be bug-free. In fact today's one has quite a major one with weapon switching.

NEVER use autobuid for a server ...

cause the are almost guaranteed to not be bug free
and sometimes it isn't even a bug

example

in the last moth of 0.5 someone made a change in the git/autobuild which led to the server being unplayable to all 0.5 users...

also if a official map is updated in autobuild then the release users will experience odd bugs (like g-23 doors broken) (invisable obsticals on solarium)

auto build servers should be for testing ONLY ...

Ok, i guess I won't use it. Is there any other way to update my server? I would like to fix the bug where the minstagib rifle drops too much ammo.

(04-28-2012, 03:00 PM)rafallus Wrote: Autobuilds are not guaranteed to be bug-free. In fact today's one has quite a major one with weapon switching.

What weapon switching bug is that?

isn't amo amounts a config setting?

also ... it is safe to use A autobuild when you know it is safe
just DONT set it to update with each new autobuild ... cuase then you are in dangerous waters

(04-28-2012, 06:39 PM)hutty Wrote: isn't amo amounts a config setting?

also ... it is safe to use A autobuild when you know it is safe
just DONT set it to update with each new autobuild ... cuase then you are in dangerous waters
Well, I haven't messed with the minsta ammo drop much, but it's default is set to 5, yet it drops somewhere around 30 ammo(I think). There was a thread about it a few weeks ago where it was determined that it was a bug that was fixed in an update.

So I can use the autobuild to update to a specific build? I thought it automatically put you at the latest version? And can recommend a recent build that is stable?

Edit: Or better yet, there perhaps an updated r-sync-data.pk3 I can download that resolves this issue?

W4RP1G: This is the thread: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2720
I posted a workaround in the thread to make it behave the way you want it.

The bug was "fixed" in this commit: http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/xonoti...cbe6334bf7

Quote:What weapon switching bug is that?

http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/1192

(04-29-2012, 02:39 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: W4RP1G: This is the thread: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2720
I posted a workaround in the thread to make it behave the way you want it.

The bug was "fixed" in this commit: http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/xonoti...cbe6334bf7
Oh, had just scrolled to the bottom and saw that the issue was fixed through an update, I hadn't noticed your workaround. Thanks for the info.

Weapon switching bug should be fixed pretty soon! Confused

as said, auto-builds are experimental. however, if you update your auto-build server fairly often, those temp bugs that may be in there should be gone fairly quick. the larger problem is possibly incompatible clients due to experimental/new code and/or data.

If you want a "cutting edge" server, your better off using the GIT version as it just fetch the changes and not the whole damn game each update Tongue

that said, if you have a 'non release' server or really different settings, plz make sure the hostname and motd tells that.

(04-29-2012, 04:44 PM)tZork Wrote: If you want a "cutting edge" server, your better off using the GIT version as it just fetch the changes and not the whole damn game each update Tongue

It's rsync-based, so it's not checking the whole thing in every time you update :>

BTW. can you make an exclusion list for files to check for rsync-updater? Like if you modified some stuff (swapped the music in my case), to not have it redownloaded every time you update?

EDIT: switching bug seems fixed as of now.

If you want to swap music, do that in your personal data directory. That won't be touched by the updater. In general, it is strongly advised that you do not touch the install directory.

EDIT: To clarify some more: read about pk3's. You want to have the music file under the same path as the original, but in your data directory. You can do this using a pk3dir or a pk3, or no pk3 at all and directly store it under the path you want to override, in your data directory.

For example, if you want to override music/foo.ogg, you have three options:
  • Create a zip archive called zzz_blablablamymusic.pk3 containing music/foo.ogg, put it in your personal data directory
  • Create a directory called zzz_blablablamymusic.pk3dir containing music/foo.ogg, put it in your personal directory
  • Put foo.ogg in your personal directory: ~/.xonotic/data/music/foo.ogg if you're on linux for example

(04-29-2012, 11:23 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(04-29-2012, 04:44 PM)tZork Wrote: If you want a "cutting edge" server, your better off using the GIT version as it just fetch the changes and not the whole damn game each update Tongue

It's rsync-based, so it's not checking the whole thing in every time you update :>

autobuild is not "based" on any push or pull tech, its simply a build - but i did forget there's a way to rsync it, so good catch. still, its likely more effective in the long run (and certainly more flexible) to use GIT if what one wants is a always updated server.

Quote:If you want to swap music, do that in your personal data directory. That won't be touched by the updater. In general, it is strongly advised that you do not touch the install directory.

EDIT: To clarify some more: read about pk3's. You want to have the music file under the same path as the original, but in your data directory. You can do this using a pk3dir or a pk3, or no pk3 at all and directly store it under the path you want to override, in your data directory.

For example, if you want to override music/foo.ogg, you have three options:

Create a zip archive called zzz_blablablamymusic.pk3 containing music/foo.ogg, put it in your personal data directory
Create a directory called zzz_blablablamymusic.pk3dir containing music/foo.ogg, put it in your personal directory
Put foo.ogg in your personal directory: ~/.xonotic/data/music/foo.ogg if you're on linux for example

Thanks. I've moved modified xonotic-rsync-music.pk3 into personal data, and so did with maps. Looks like they are recognized by game without replacing/deleting them with each update.

The question is: if I have this other xonotic-rsync-music.pk3 in personal data, is it possible to delete old xonotic-rsync-music.pk3 to save space and not having it redownload by rsync-updater? Because it doesn't seem to be the case when I try to update.

BTW. nice mortar rounds since autobuild. Got a nice laugh.

I don't think that's possible, unfortunately.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IRC Problems with autobuild -maniac|Su- 0 227 01-25-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: -maniac|Su-
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 673 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,820 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,755 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 8,049 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,965 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,578 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit
  How to change server cfg on modified server veecho 4 4,318 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic Server crashes TF2 server Professor 2 2,950 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Professor
  0.6.0 Server not shown in server browser -maniac|Su- 2 3,745 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: -maniac|Su-