Create an account

Poll: Kick idlers only when needed?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
83.33%
10 83.33%
No!
0%
0 0%
I have another idea... (please post it)
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Kick idlers only when needed!

Kicking idling players from servers is - if I understand - a feature to keep the servers clean and ready to welcome active players.

But when there is not much happening on the server, why kick these few people? Let them idle if it doesn't hurt anyone!

I was kicked a lot of times because I wasn't touching the client, because I didn;t have time just to play, but the servers where pretty uncluttered, so they could have kept me until I was a total waste of CPU time.

How about making servers kick idle players only when there is less then 1 free slot on the server?

An example (made right up):

A server has 8 slots, 2 players is playing and there are 4 idling, watching them or just having the game running while doing other stuff.

Then another 2 players join in and start playing. We have 8 players, which is more than server_max - 1. Now the server switches to "kick the idlers" mode Wink
It searches for a player that is doing nothing and kicks the one who has been inactive for the longest time period. This frees up 1 slot, so the server can welcome another player. If another players joins, the server will kick another idler (if there is one) and so on.

The whole point is to eliminate unneeded idlers kicking and do it only when server is getting full or overloaded

I assume that server load is no problem. The server could also kick idlers if it has trouble with performance and if the game is suffering stuttering Wink
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

+1 for you :*
LoverTaleb

(04-27-2012, 06:09 AM)N1mbus Wrote: +1 for you :*

Thanks Smile Would you like to cast a vote? To help convince others it's a god idea!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

no kicking for idlers on TDM, DUEL, CTS and CA mods (spectating is very important and its part of the gameplay, also: tournaments and all the stuff)
for kicking: FFA, CTF, and other modes.

(04-27-2012, 07:00 AM)Justin Wrote: no kicking for idlers on TDM, DUEL, CTS and CA mods (spectating is very important and its part of the gameplay, also: tournaments and all the stuff)
for kicking: FFA, CTF, and other modes.

I'd agree but I thing players playing should have priority over spectrating ones.

We can also solve this problem by making a dialog window:

.gif   nan.gif (Size: 22.46 KB / Downloads: 153)

DCC got such a message and you need to be not active for 10 minutes.

What about having an option requiring some activity when a map loads? This would mean that you get prompted to start, team selection or spectating and after a 30 second countdown, anyone who hasn't selected to play or spectate will get kicked. This means spectators would actually have to be spectating rather than sitting looking at a wall.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Alright, can this be made a standard server feature so it won't require additional changes to the CFG of the servers, just updating?

I don't know how this stuff I done, who can implement this?

Make a feature request on http://dev.xonotic.org

Put a link to this thread in the description, too.

(04-30-2012, 01:17 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Make a feature request on http://dev.xonotic.org

Put a link to this thread in the description, too.

I tried to do it, but I can't login. I changed my password, it's okay. I tried to login with it using a name I got in mail from the system, but it keeps saying: "Invalid user of password."

Could this be a problem with the tracker?

I can log out and into the tracker. So I guess something is working Tongue

Send a mail to divVerent if you think there's a problem with logging into the tracker. I don't admin and I have no way to help you personally with that.

Ok, I'll try changing my password one more time and if that doesn't help I'll poke divVerent.
It didn't Wink
Message to divVerent sent.
My account is now usable.

Here is the ticket: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/1201

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic system requirements needed RaptorFX 50 78,895 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  [SUGGESTION] Loading only one player model when forcing cccxd 1 2,778 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] A game package should contain all needed components kanatov 2 4,321 03-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Last Post: kanatov
  [SUGGESTION] Share your opinions only on weapon balance! rocknroll237 67 52,291 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Wanna kick Tribes: Ascend's ass? Lee_Stricklin 13 14,261 04-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Git and autobuild servers only for development RaptorFX 6 7,542 02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Soelen
  [SUGGESTION] Idea: auto-kick TKers Antibody 23 24,914 09-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo