Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hello and a question

I've been told that something happened a while ago that causes everyone over at alienTRAP's forums to jump ship, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Though, I don't see a NetRadiant section so I'm not sure where to re-post this. Hopefully, you all still use/develop/fight with NetRadiant.

Hello, and thanks.

Quoted from alienTRAP forums:

"So I'm at it again, tinkering around in NetRadiant's scripts to see how to add/fix features.

I see in my C:/NetRadiant/quake3.game/ folder there's a document entitled "default_build_menu.xml"

It seems that the purpose of this file is to provide a "clean" reference to NetRadiant about what should be inside the "Build" menu.

However, when you customize your build menu with NetRadiant's "Customize.." option in the build menu, the changes you make there aren't reflected in this file. Those changes must be stored somewhere else. To all NetRadiant Dev's...where is that somewhere else?

What I've been doing lately is I've downloaded the NetRadiant 1.5 SVN (GIT doesn't seem to work at all, I don't know what GIT means and i'm not too worried as long as SVN works) and I'll make all of my changes to it, add the quake3 gamepacks, rewrite/remove install scripts(for os x) and add BSPC.exe to the same directory q3map2 is stored in. This way, I have a clean image of a "working" NetRadiant that maps for quake 3 right out of the box. I was just hoping I could link the internal "Build" menu choices to bspc.exe since they already link to q3map2.exe in the same directory. I wanted to avoid reverse engineering/editing the default_build_menu.xml and would rather just edit the one that NetRadiant saves to when you customize your build menu. So where is NetRadiant's customized build menu data stored?

Thanks"

Hello friend, and welcome to Xonotic! Big Grin

Basically, "default_build_menu.xml" doesn't change the items in the Build menu, but rather it sets the default commands that each Build option should execute.

For example, in q2w.game, the build command "BSP" is modified to "q2wmap -bsp "[MapFile]". So if you want to compile a BSP map for Quake II, you go to the Build menu and click the BSP option and if q2w.game is applied in NetRadiant, it will execute the necessary commands described in "default_build_menu.xml" to build the map correctly.

I hope this helps. Smile

EDIT: As for finding out where the build *MENU* options are stored, I have no idea. Perhaps ask someone more experienced, like divVerent or KipKay.

DOUBLE EDIT: GIT is a revision control system, similar to Subversion (aka SVN). You use a GIT client to connect to the dev server and download source code packages and you can commit changes back to the developers.

oh, yeah, I was hoping to find out where that menu "build" data was stored once NetRadiant opens, and is running. The file I found is just what NetRadiant re-loads from if your setting cause it to crash, or if you tell it to "clean" your settings. When NetRadiant runs, it has a customizable version somewhere in your system, I just have no idea where. I have problems like this a lot, I'm almost thinking about writing a program that monitors hard drive activity, what files are open, and what files are being written to, etc. Maybe something like that already exists? I'll go hunting later, but it would be nice to know just..so I didn't have to always find work-arounds.

I could PM those guys, but I don't wanna bug anyone, but if they happen to see this I'd appreciate pointers!

thanks.

The monitor program you're looking for is probably this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...96645.aspx
I'll point divVerent to this tread Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  heyyo sup and hello! sab 1 1,708 03-17-2019, 03:26 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Hello and thank you. ruin 4 3,412 04-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  Hello and Goodbye Mario 12 10,663 11-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Last Post: end user
  Hello to creators and players! William22 11 8,199 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Faraday
  Hello, hello. (Hello) AlDeezy 5 4,213 06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
  Hello, Privet, Shalom and Salaam Aleikum Xonotic Community! MaXus999 7 6,814 01-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Last Post: ...
  Hello hello!. (hola :D) bdvd 5 5,714 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Last Post: tux9656
  <3 Xonotic and hello icenine 2 3,559 03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m