Create an account

Poll: Official builds for rarer operating systems?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.89%
11 57.89%
No - useless
10.53%
2 10.53%
Maybe / I don't care
31.58%
6 31.58%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] Official builds for FreeBSD and/or OpenSolaris etc.

First of all, I want to clarify that I'm myself a Linux user so I can't actualise this suggestion all by myself. Tongue

Xonotic will be opensource and developed for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Of course, these 3 OS's consist about 99% of market share. However, I would like to see the official builds for eg. FreeBSD and (Open)Solaris (and maybe for other operating systems). Why so? It's true that, thanks to opensource, Xonotic will be definitely ported to FreeBSD and maybe to the other platforms. However, this will be done unofficially and those binaries will just appear on FreeBSD's repositories or similar way. This leads to occasion, that most of Xonotic players will never even know that this game is available for *insert OS here*.

Some may think: "Why bother?". This is my answer: Providing official builds for rarer OS's will lead to community approval and advance the popularity among the users. When FreeBSD (or other OS) users notice that Xonotic is officially supported for the OS which they love, it will sure enhance sympathy for Xonotic. And top of that, people who don't use these rarer OS's will definitely think "Wow, these guys support those rarer OS's, they must be damn good." When, for example, FreeBSD user is running an unnofficial port of the game on his/her machine, it's like Linux user running World of Warcraft on Linux with Wine. It works, but there's always feeling like "this is not official, this is just a some kind of 'hack'".

This suggestion is not impossible and should be kinda easy to actualise. All we need is 1 (or 2, or three) devs who will port the game to OS they want. As far as I'm considered, this action does not even require much work. It's enough that Xonotic is primarily developed for Windows, Linux and OSX when there is just one guy who will do the porting process. And of course, we need a appropriate download section for these binaries. So there will be a nice feature in Xonotic with a little work - supermultiplatformgame.

At this very moment, I would suggest that there will be official builds for these operating systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, FreeBSD and (Open)Solaris. If you think that there should be more (or less), then please, say it. Smile

Edit: I made a poll about this.

IIRC the engine will compile on a BSD machine already.. guess if someone offers a BSD build machine it would be possible to include, but i have really NO idea how good the BSD nvidia drivers are.
No clue about Solaris though. But i really never heared about good 3d drivers for that one Smile
Real signature is still in production!

(03-25-2010, 09:38 AM)esteel Wrote: IIRC the engine will compile on a BSD machine already.. guess if someone offers a BSD build machine it would be possible to include, but i have really NO idea how good the BSD nvidia drivers are.
No clue about Solaris though. But i really never heared about good 3d drivers for that one Smile
BSD nVidia drivers should be somehow same like on Linux. However, they managed to implement 3D acceleration on 64bit BSD drivers just a few months/weeks (?) ago. On 32bit 3D acceleration should have been ok a while. nVidia also support OpenSolaris drivers, and they should also be somehow same like on Linux. At least FreeBSD and OpenSolaris drivers have same version numbering and same features.

I've found this guide about compiling Nexuiz on OpenSolaris (this could be useful), but it's Nexuiz 2.4 and year 2008. But it shouldn't be a big problem, should it? http://blog.sartek.net/2008/04/nexuiz-on...laris.html

If you have a solaris or bsd machine just try to compile the engine and see what happens :-)

Well, I _could_ try it at first on Virtual Machine. If it's a success, then I could try to install OpenSolaris or FreeBSD (or PC-BSD, because it's easier) on my desktop computer and see what happens. Tongue

But, I have no time to do this atm. :F And therefore it would be more useful if someone BSD or Solaris geek gave his/her helpful hand. Tongue

Is bumping allowed?

Bump

Oh no, we've got a bumper.

As much as I love opensolaris, thanks to the oracle overlords, looks like its about to die Sad

[Image: sig2.png]
Check out my site: www.alisdairrankine.com!

And also: If you can setup a 24h build machine, please come to the dev channel to talk to div et. al. about getting automated builds running..
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

I think it would be usefull.

For instance, how about an official build guide for people who use CentOS? Tongue
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

How 'bout support for GNU Hurd, and µC/OSII? Big Grin

I've been thinking... Should I ask my (more nerd than me) friend to dedicate one of his many computers for OpenSolaris and/or FreeBSD so we could try building Xonotic on these OS's? That one computers should consist kinda modern hardware. If he's okay with that, I'll contant you guys on IRC about these builds. But I can't promise anything - and as I have said, it would be much better if old-school FreeBSD and/or OpenSolaris geek did these builds. I'm just a newbie. Sad

(04-01-2010, 02:21 PM)Vordreller Wrote: I think it would be usefull.

For instance, how about an official build guide for people who use CentOS? Tongue

Isn't CentOS just GNU/Linux? So why should we need a specific building instructions just for CentOS when Linux building is ok?

'master[mind Wrote:How 'bout support for GNU Hurd, and µC/OSII? Big Grin

If you insist. Big Grin

CentOS is like OOOLD stable debian right?

(04-02-2010, 06:29 PM)esteel Wrote: CentOS is like OOOLD stable debian right?

Mm.. No? It's based on Red Hat Enteprise Linux code while RHEL is commercial. Unless you mean by "old" that it has old packages etc. - I don't know about that.

Wikipedia knows all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centos

Let's stop offtopic, shall we?

Let's bump the ancient topic. Wink

Any new opinions? I stand still for this.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. Id be willing to run builds on my server if I am able to do it inside a VM, as I don't want to reformat my Linux server atm. I'm no experienced BSD user either though.

It would certainly no be a bad thing - but we need at a user of each system to donate a build machine, and preferably some users accentually using it too Tongue Proly we would also need the some ppl who knows how to program, or at least how to make things compile, on those platforms too.

So unless we see more interest from ppl on those systems, my vote goes to the "i dont care" option.

(06-04-2011, 02:54 AM)tZork Wrote: It would certainly no be a bad thing - but we need at a user of each system to donate a build machine, and preferably some users accentually using it too Tongue Proly we would also need the some ppl who knows how to program, or at least how to make things compile, on those platforms too.

So unless we see more interest from ppl on those systems, my vote goes to the "i dont care" option.

A friend of mine is getting touch with FreeBSD. I could ask him about this is he's interested.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Add pickup bot to official IRC channel? poVoq 2 2,013 06-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  [SUGGESTION] Official Instagib Tournaments/Pickup games vega 8 12,778 09-16-2017, 04:52 AM
Last Post: vega
  [SUGGESTION] Precompiled binary for freebsd snake 2 3,030 04-14-2017, 04:01 PM
Last Post: snake
  [SUGGESTION] Make instagib/overkill = official asyyy 49 36,805 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Drauts
  [SUGGESTION] Should There be an official Xonotic T-Shirt? Zeo 13 17,174 01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Thumbs Up [SUGGESTION] Hoverboards etc poVoq 45 32,351 07-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic 0.5.0 builds for openSUSE Creation 0 2,898 12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Creation
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,274 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] buddy search function, average statistics, etc Rage_ATWM 9 10,793 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  [SUGGESTION] A codex that provides info on gametypes, backstory, etc. Lee_Stricklin 5 5,553 03-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Will