Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord Havoc offended?

I just heard that Lord Havoc will stop contributing to the GPL darkplaces engine due to recent developments. Now, I don't have time to hang around on IRC all the time, so I am kind of relying on stuff that makes it onto the forum(s). So from all I have heard so far it is really surprising for me to hear that Lord Havoc got so offended that he decided to stop releasing code for GPL darkplaces engine. Is that true? If yes, could anyone point me to why this has happened and what Lord Havoc got so offended about?

From my (limited) point of view I cannot detect anything that Lord Havoc has done wrong to the Nexuiz community, so I'd really like to understand why there is some "cutting ties" going on here which I find rather useless and contra-productive.

I don't believe Lord Havoc would decide to stop contributing just because of the fork itself.

Thanks for a brief summary if anyone would be so kind.

EDIT: Just wanted to know if that was true, so far no one did verify this yet so most probably it isn't, so please don't get nervous about this as I only wanted to ask! Smile
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Where did you read this Halogene? Source reference is important here to avoid possibly spreading bad info.

I haven't heard anything about this. I'm kind of confused.

Hold up there...

I think this is just something people are getting confused over with this article. Which sez: shares name, not engine or any code. Thats it, nothing about quiting anything.

I have no doubt that its just confusion. For Havoc to just say: "oh Hey guise, Im done with that shiet" and by "shiet" means years and years of hard work and not atleast love. It is very hard to believe, that this would be the case. So, confused people believing they speak the truth, must more likely. NOT a abandoned poor GPL engine, by its main developer (AFAIK).

(03-26-2010, 02:29 AM)paperclips Wrote: Hold up there...

I think this is just something people are getting confused over with this article. Which sez: shares name, not engine or any code. Thats it, nothing about quiting anything.

I have no doubt that its just confusion. For Havoc to just say: "oh Hey guise, Im done with that shiet" and by "shiet" means years and years of hard work and not atleast love. It is very hard to believe, that this would be the case. So, confused people believing they speak the truth, must more likely. NOT a abandoned poor GPL engine, by its main developer (AFAIK).

That makes way more sense. I say we get over the drama that happened and move on with Xonotic. Yes, what happened was sort of sketchy, but no one really knows the full story. Let's try to keep rumors to a minimum, please.

WOHA sorry for raising the topic that badly. Let me clear it all up for you what I was on about.

When I wrote "I HEARD" that Lord Havoc wanted to quit contributing, I used that wording to indicate that I don't have any official source for that. Actually, it was ingame chat where this was raised, which is more or less equal to just gossipping around. But the very idea took me by surprise and I found it not that far fetched, given the recent slashdot articles. So all I wanted to do is ask whether this was true.

I didn't want to create a new rumor (though I most probably already did). Sorry for the confusion.

So I take it no one heard from Lord Havoc that he intends to stop releasing code for the GPL darkplaces engine. That's a relief.

Sorry again for the confusion!
My Xonstats Profile

(03-26-2010, 03:41 AM)Halogene Wrote: Sorry again for the confusion!
No need! Smile Its much better that someone speaks their mind, than its something on everyones mind after a while, since no one bothered to ask in the first place. So I raise my hat for you, good Sir! Smile

I wasn't trying to scold. I was just making sure that everyone understood that there shouldn't be so much hatred. Besides, without the fork we wouldn't be making this great game and creating such a stronger community. =)

No harm done, I didn't feel offended anyway - I just realized that asking this question does in fact raise that rumor which I didn't intend.
My Xonstats Profile

LordHavoc never said such a thing, and in fact is still working on DP.

He cannot UNDERSTAND us, but this won't stop him from developing the engine.

Thus, Adam SavageX, and Jamie Hale-man say, the myth is BUSTED.

rofl
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Offended or not I HIGHLY doubt he'll find some devs outside of IllFonic that will "fill the void" for GPL gamethatwillnotbenamed (at this point your probably thinking there's an evil mod on here lol) development.

Ffs, stop saying "gamethatwillnotbenamed." It's really annoying. Nothing is wrong with Nexuiz. And using that just makes what happened seem even more sour when it wasn't.

DarkPlaces is his children, and Its good if he continue with it, since is getting impressive good.

What is obvious is that developping a open source engine is a voluntary action, he can stop tomorrow morning because a) is bored, b) his girlfriend said so, c) just because.

Is not the only game engine coder around, but his lost would be huge. So make him happy, people, girls, dogs!.

Theres also the "What if a BUS hit LordHavoc" thing. Any developper can die, so no big software sould depend too much on a single dev.

(03-31-2010, 07:15 AM)Tei Wrote: DarkPlaces is his children, and Its good if he continue with it, since is getting impressive good.

What is obvious is that developping a open source engine is a voluntary action, he can stop tomorrow morning because a) is bored, b) his girlfriend said so, c) just because.

Girlfriends are known to be doing that.
4m038105 - Be the change.

I have definitely had many projects stopped by my girlfriend.

Which is why I don't have one. Unless a future girlfriend would be a programmer, girls + programming = Volatile Mix!

(03-28-2010, 12:51 PM)Erusavion Wrote: Ffs, stop saying "gamethatwillnotbenamed." It's really annoying. Nothing is wrong with Nexuiz. And using that just makes what happened seem even more sour when it wasn't.

Speaking just for myself ofc, i think there is/was something wrong with Nexuiz, and i consider what happened was sour and rotten. If i did not think so, i would not be here forking it. Oh and realize that saying "gamethatwillnotbenamed" is a joke.

I don't see the point in keeping this thread open since its based on misinformation. If anyone has a valid reason to the contrary plz pm me and i might re-open it.