Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
8.9 earthquake and tsunami in Japan today

You are likely to be aware of this terrible disaster already since it's rather hard to not notice, but I will share it anyway. From wiki page:

Quote:The 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami (東北地方太平洋沖地震 Tōhoku Chihō Taiheiyō-oki Jishin, literally "Tōhoku region Pacific Ocean offshore earthquake") was an 8.9-magnitude megathrust earthquake that created tsunami waves of up to 10 metres (33 ft). It was measured at 7 on the Japan Meteorological Agency seismic intensity scale in the northern Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, with an initially-reported magnitude of 7.9, while the JMA's tsunami warning listed the magnitude as 8.4, later updated to 8.8. The earthquake focus was reported to be off the Oshika Peninsula, the east coast of Tōhoku on 11 March 2011, at 05:46 UTC (14:46 local time) at a depth of 24.4 kilometres (15.2 mi). News reports by Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) indicate that at least 300 people have died and another 530 are missing in six different prefectures, although it is feared the total number of dead could be far higher.
The magnitude of 8.9 made it the largest earthquake to hit Japan in recorded history and the seventh largest in the world since records began.

Related:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12710020
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKh-QaeT6rc
http://www.youtube.com/citizentube?feature=ticker
Google's resources related to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami

My sister is in japan, but thankfully she was far enough away that it didn't affect her.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Holy shit, an 8.9. Hopefully they get some major damage control under way.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Already 1000+ people died. Just sad.

Absolutely horrible. Sadly, things get even worse due to the faulty nuclear plants.
[Image: b_560x95.png]

I have friends in Japan, good thing is the one with the facebook seems ok, but the other one doesn't have one...then again, he might not be in Japan...

It sucks. I hope for the best for them and especially those tens of thousands displaced.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

Whoa that's nuts, and so soon after the NZ quakes? Hopefully their early warning systems have saved at least some lives, but best wishes to the families of victims and to the Japanese people in cleaning up after this disaster.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Apparently the tsunami made it all the way to California, although diminished to +-4 ft.

On the bright side, Japan builds their structures to withstand a 9.0 iirc. If one this strong would have hit NA's west coast, we would be looking at some major damage.

USA is shipping coolant to one of the nuclear plants that malfunctioned.

Japan was moved eight feet, the world's axis was moved four inches. Powerful stuff.

There would be many more dead, had Japan not some of the highest security standards and disaster plans.
4m038105 - Be the change.

And now one in China. Only a 4.9 though.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

In this 2011 Japan face many major problem like earth quake and tsunami, in this problem the Japan face many loss in the business, many people were die in this problem and so many problem will create in Japan.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lookie what I scored today - movie prop end user 7 13,373 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Last Post: aa
  If Quake was made today, Funny Video TickleMeElmo 25 25,832 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Music My new album is out today - on my birthday!! unfa 12 8,987 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Last Post: [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC]