Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It suddenly starts to suck in European Union...

Council of Europe has NO lawmaking powers. But, Council of Europe is being listened to by EU Parliament lawmakers who don't want to think about the law they're making, or, in worst case, European Commission, which recently banned light bulbs above 75W.
They are supposed to watch over human rights and all that, but they probably got bored, or someone didn't look at the date (which must've been 1.04.2011) on that e-mail with the proposal of this ban.
They're planning on banning ALL mobile phones in schools, as well as WiFi, and then creating a wave-free zones, which would ban ALL mobile, WiMAX, WiFi and 3G towers/APs. And then, slap a big sticker on everything that emits electromagnetic radiation. You know, for kids!
So, aside from making IP over Avian Carrier a serious proposal, this makes me question how STUPID the CoE is. They're talking about banning all electromagnetic radiation in the wave-free zones. WHAT? Did those guys go to any school? Not for examples of mobile and WiFi usage (although that would also work), but to learn a basic thing: Pretty much everywhere you look, you see EM radiation. Yeah, like GODDAMN LIGHT. Suddenly the analog bulb ban seems a right thing to do... right? With that said, schools, being the designated wave-free zones, would have to have the power cables removed (induction) and Faraday cages build around them. WHICH IS STUPID!
Their argument is 'electrosensivity', which is completely non-existent unless you're a magnet-fearing faerie. There is no such thing as 'electrosensivity'. Oh, sure, you see the visible spectrum, and you feel the zap when touching a live wire (which is not recommended BTW), but you can't feel ALL the signals that are whizzing around you. This renders all their further argumentation moot, and further proves that you do not let politicians decide what's good for you, at least not on that kind of level. Frankly, I hope this never gets passed.

You can read more here: http://www.google.com/search?q=ue+bans+wifi+in+schools

So... Any comments?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Oh for the love of Jebus...

What a petty over reaction. Fairly certain the radiation is of such low energy its not going to do jack shit. Haven't studies been done on this that have consistently proven that wifi is harmless?
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

America suddenly looks less stupid.

I find it of much higher importance that bananas have a certain shape, weight and form. Luckily, there's a regulation for this, too, as all my other regulation needs are eagerly being met by this institution even before I ask them to do so. Isn't this great?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

> America suddenly looks less stupid.

Sorry, nothing can look more stupid than USA while MAFIAA is alive.

Also
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

Europe suddenly looks more stupid than America, AND AMERICA IS PRETTY DAMN STUPID.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I don't think they've even consulted Wikipedia first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionising_radiation and more importantly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ionising_radiation

Also http://xkcd.com/radiation/ is beautiful.

QUICK, SOMEBODY BAN POTASSIUM!

Halogene Wrote:I find it of much higher importance that bananas have a certain shape, weight and form.

THAT MEANS YOU, MY DELICIOUS YELLOW FRIENDS!
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Though I have to admit that the recent ban on light bulbs DOES make me a bit nervous, personally. WHERE WILL THIS ALL END?
My Xonstats Profile

In countries dropping away from European Union to have slightly less secure but way more normal lives.

I hope they don't ban halogene lamps.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(05-23-2011, 06:12 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Europe suddenly looks more stupid than America

[Image: not-sure-if-trolling-oio5s.jpg]

ahahaha. you get more radiation from eating a banana than living near a nuclear power plant for a year.

@Minkovsky: are you allowed to petition your ruling government about laws and stuff? if so, you should start an internet petition and see how many people you can get to sign it. i'm sure you would get an overwhelming amount of you spammed it enough places.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(05-24-2011, 10:40 AM)theShadow Wrote: ahahaha. you get more radiation from eating a banana than living near a nuclear power plant for a year.

@Minkovsky: are you allowed to petition your ruling government about laws and stuff? if so, you should start an internet petition and see how many people you can get to sign it. i'm sure you would get an overwhelming amount of you spammed it enough places.

Nobody can exactly oppose the dictatorship of European Commission. You wouldn't get that many votes (all of Europe would have to vote for bulbs). But, we can oppose this recommendation if it hits Parliament.

Should the action start now? Myself, I'd wait for a proper opinions on this one.

I'd sign a petition against a ban for halogene lamps.

Not that such ban would affect me personally, of course. Just out of empathy.
My Xonstats Profile

The lightbulb ban kinda made green sense, over the many many countries it would add up to a lot of inefficiency. However, now I cant find a decent fucking lightbulb anywhere that actually provides LIGHT!

Minkovsky Wrote:It suddenly starts to suck in European Union

hah suddenly... Suddenly you say...
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(05-24-2011, 03:04 PM)kuniu the frogg Wrote:
Minkovsky Wrote:It suddenly starts to suck in European Union

hah suddenly... Suddenly you say...

better to live here then elsewhere, like the usa or china.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

you could at least start spreading word of it now, so that when you start the petition, people know about it.

Imgur Gallery

(05-24-2011, 04:51 PM)theShadow Wrote: you could at least start spreading word of it now, so that when you start the petition, people know about it.

[Godwin]
Yeah but then they are all "What, you WANT our children to be exposed to radiation?! You sir, are worse than HITLER!"
[/Godwin]

you sir, let your children eat BANANAS??? you ARE worse than hitler.

Imgur Gallery

Yeah, I'd probably have to start. Let's see... A blog, for one... Pamphlets to print out... Letters to various EU PMs, both pre-emptively and after the CoE-related MPs decide to actually propose it, etc... Anyone out there to help me?

To me that sounds more like cutting down civilian data streams. Oh boy, here come the paranoia....
4m038105 - Be the change.

...why did you do that...nevermindthat'sagoodideatoconvincefolksevenmore...but still...why?

Yay, EU wants to be a new CCCP Tongue
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Politicians. They wish no more than to be everyone's mother.