Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a video game musician/sound designer!

Hello everyone!

I came to this forum wanting to check out this open-source FPS. I was led here by the recent Whiskey Media Happy Hour, and was excited when I heard that this worked on Mac, PC, AND Linux.

A little about myself: I am a student at the Berklee College of Music, in Boston MA. I am a leader of the Video Game Audio scene in Boston, and have had my hand doing professional sound design, music, and voice over for many games (both indie and AAA). I have made a career out of video game audio, and would like to contribute to this game's audio however I can (for free, of course).

Anyway, nice to be here, and I'm sure I'll be getting to know a lot of you as I start to make my way in to the community.

Thanks!

Hello there!

(07-30-2011, 03:33 PM)Brown_Thunder Wrote: ... this game's audio however I can (for free, of course).

If you want to provide it music it has to be GPL, CC BY is not enough
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(07-30-2011, 04:05 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: Hello there!

(07-30-2011, 03:33 PM)Brown_Thunder Wrote: ... this game's audio however I can (for free, of course).

If you want to provide it music it has to be GPL, CC BY is not enough

Thank you for the heads-up! GPL is fine by me.

Hey, I'm from Whisky Media community as well! Hope to get more people over here.

ALSO, use the Autopatcher method
http://www.xonotic.org/2011/05/automatic...-released/

I had no idea and was using the old version of the preview release.

Welcome to Xonotic! Smile

Do You have some sample tracks to share?
4m038105 - Be the change.

Wink 
Thank you all for the advice! I really appreciate it!

I'll be posting up some tracks in the next few days. Is there anywhere in particular I should be posting them? Big Grin

Welcome!

Interesting what a little review video can do. Smile

SoundCloud is used by some here, but anywhere accessible will be fine. (i'm hosted on Wikispaces)

yer , old chooky uses soundcloud

soundcloud.com/chooksta

IM NOT A NERD

OK

t

:^

Hey! Sounds like you're someone with a lot of valuable experience!

We have a lot of musicians here, (me and Chooky included). But I'm sure we'll appreciate your help Smile

I think that we have so many people doing stuff with sound, we might want to make a team, choose a leader and start contributing in a more organised way, maybe.

As for styles and sounds we use:

We nerdy nerds are mostly making our noise with computers using sampling and synthesis for most stuff, but we also have some people who can sing (me?) and play piano really well (Halogene).

Also voice acting is a thing we need.

I hope I didn't write anything untrue? (I did - sorry, Halogene!)

What can I say more: show us what you've got! Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Hello, Brown_Thunder!

I also heard about this project via Whiskey Media AND I'm a musician. Graduated from Eastern University in Philadelphia with a B.A. in music composition. I wish I had attended Berklee, but unfortunately I realized my desire to write for video games a little too late in my education.

I would love to collaborate on this project so I could learn more about audio implementation in videogames. You can find some of my music at http://zetabyte.newgrounds.com/ and also at http://soundcloud.com/zetabyte

I have other works that weren't recorded, or were recorded poorly, but hopefully you enjoy what I have.

I look forward to hearing for you soon,
Zeta

Welcome and AMAZING what this whiskey media thingo did to this project. Quite some nice stuff you got there on soundcloud! If we could mix several style directions available from musicians on this forum into one track, that would probably turn out very interesting.

I like Ru'ah - was that improvised or arranged? Big Grin

Somehow the aggregation of musicians on this forum is highly inspiring for me. This is such an awesome place.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Maybe we (musicians) could do some collaborations Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(08-01-2011, 10:45 AM)unfa Wrote: We nerdy nerds are mostly making our noise with computers using sampling and synthesis for most stuff, but we also have some people who can sing (me?) and play piano really well (The Mysterious Mr. 4m).

Wait, my dear fellow Mr. 4m does play the piano, too? o.O where?
My Xonstats Profile

Lightbulb 
(08-02-2011, 02:01 AM)Halogene Wrote: If we could mix several style directions available from musicians on this forum into one track, that would probably turn out very interesting.

I like Ru'ah - was that improvised or arranged? Big Grin

Arranged, though it did come to me all at once. Originally I made it on guitar during a blackout, then later refined it on piano. Thank you!

As far as distilling all of our styles into one track, maybe we could start a project on http://www.indabamusic.com/ and see what arises. If we run into problems there, we can just exchange files the old fashion way.

I'll have to listen to the other musicians on this thread to get an idea what we have to combine, but I'm excited!

Don't miss unfa's spectacular voice acrobatics!

How does this indaba music thingo work? Collaboration on tracks?
My Xonstats Profile

Unfa must have mistaken me for ^someone else^.

Friendly Reminder:
This is Brown_Thunders thread. Each artist should have their own. General music discussion should be discussed in the appropriate thread, here, for example. (Use the search, please.)
We have to keep some order around here. Smile

P.P.S.: we need a music subforum.

You're right. Brown_Thunder, we're all curious about the music samples you promised :o) sorry for hijacking the thread!
My Xonstats Profile

(08-02-2011, 05:13 AM)Halogene Wrote: Wait, my dear fellow Mr. 4m does play the piano, too? o.O where?

Oh, sorry, my mistake, it was you of course! Big Grin

I'm so sorry, didn't know why I thought it was Mr. 4m.

(corrects the mistake in his previous post)

@unfa: no harm done Big Grin

@Brown_Thunder: Sorry for my impatience, but I am really excited about hearing some music you made. I think this thread is on topic again, so I'd love to listen into some of your works!
My Xonstats Profile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello all, i am here about playing this game eyeofpara 1 2,414 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Music mc-bunny says hello / music for the game :) Mc-Bunny 9 7,313 03-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  Hello, hello. (Hello) AlDeezy 5 4,213 06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
  Hello hello!. (hola :D) bdvd 5 5,714 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Last Post: tux9656