Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
My little pony... Xonotic pony?

"20% cooler" just doesn't cover it. Let's try OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH!

Just loving it. Textures (and texture alignment) are epicly improved, animations/vertex groups look better too imho.

Smile

(11-29-2011, 06:26 PM)nowego4 Wrote: "20% cooler" just doesn't cover it. Let's try OMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH!

Just loving it. Textures (and texture alignment) are epicly improved, animations/vertex groups look better too imho.

Smile

Thanks! My only problem is there's no way to rig the limbs properly, and arms / legs get badly deformed when animated. Tried for 2 days to fix it but no result, so I just did the best I could. Other than that, I'm happy with how it looks now too ^^

Not related to the model. But Ignis wanted to learn a bit about Xonotic development, so I asked someone experienced to tell him about the basics.

[Image: cfe54kwukum2in4bi1g_thumb.jpg]

ROFL
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

*HAW HAW HAW*
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

i reaaaaaly don't get this MLP thing (dont get me wrong i have nothing against it either). As such that strip is proly even more funny.. Oh the poor noob who happen upon a neon colored pony waving a huge gun at him/her in their first game Big Grin

tZork: visit the WW thread ;D

*Pinkie Pie is best bunnyjumper
And tuba player [/parasprite]

(where do you get your vectors?)

no thanks no nowego4.. that place gives me nightmares Wink

Hehe, fix'd. It's in a regular-looking subforum of WW now. We'll see how it goes.

Submitted the video to Equestria Daily! If it gets featured there then Xonotic will see a sudden influx of members!

(12-08-2011, 06:41 AM)Firetaffer Wrote: Submitted the video to Equestria Daily! If it gets featured there then Xonotic will see a sudden influx of members!

If you mean my player model, thanks! I really hope so, that would be awesome ^_^

Guess I'll drop this link here for whoever missed it, http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2331

(12-08-2011, 07:14 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(12-08-2011, 06:41 AM)Firetaffer Wrote: Submitted the video to Equestria Daily! If it gets featured there then Xonotic will see a sudden influx of members!

If you mean my player model, thanks! I really hope so, that would be awesome ^_^

It's confirmed to come in the next nightly roundup, later tonight :3.

(12-08-2011, 05:55 PM)Firetaffer Wrote: It's confirmed to come in the next nightly roundup, later tonight :3.

Wow, can't wait! Please post a link when it does ^^ Awesome work again.

(12-08-2011, 07:03 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(12-08-2011, 05:55 PM)Firetaffer Wrote: It's confirmed to come in the next nightly roundup, later tonight :3.

Wow, can't wait! Please post a link when it does ^^ Awesome work again.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/12/ni...p-181.html

Third one down!

(12-09-2011, 05:28 AM)Firetaffer Wrote: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/12/ni...p-181.html

Third one down!

So awesome Big Grin Posted a comment there too. Hope more bronies will join Xonotic too now ^^

I think ponies in Xonotic are another great feature that shows off how the game is about fun above anything else.

That being said, the sounds they make are annoying to say the least though. The "jump" sound is equally annoying as the "ugh" we had in 0.1 for jumping. Since you generally bunnyhop a lot in Xonotic the "jump" sound should be more or less unaltered from the standard sounds as you really start to have heard enough of it very quickly. And why would a pony have to say "hew" every time it jumps?

The taunts are a nice idea if played once, but if you have three sound samples that repeat themselves and that are relatively long, it starts to bug you that you hear the same sample from two different ponies simultaneously. And all over again all the time. So the challenge is to find sound bits that suit the game and that are really short, such as "yeah" or "pussy" (the latter is probably not part of the mlp vocabulary, but you get the point regarding the taunt length). They also should not be played automatically, but maybe it's also just a setting you chose for having taunts in the video at all.

Sound engineering is an important part for the reception of a solution or feature. I really like the idea of having ponies in Xonotic, though I am totally not into that thing at all (it may be a lot less trashy than it looks from the outside, but it's not my taste either way). BUT if the ponies keep making sounds as they do currently, I would really find that highly annoying to have on any public server. If you can manage to provide short, good quality taunts and sounds for the ponies, I'd very much vote for having them as some sort of gimmick in official Xonotic (but I don't know if that would ever happen, since most people don't share my appreciation of weird stuff).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

MK had auto taunts turned on with a rather high frequency, this is a client side feature that is disabled by default. A lot of players don't even know taunts exist period. Also, those taunts are clips from the show, it's more of a nerd thing than actually taunting your enemy. And personally, I would like to see more unique taunt is default xonotic characters too ("Take that, you prehistoric space scum!")

And the jump sound is slightly annoying, but not as much so for fans Big Grin also, it means that you have to take a notch off your speed if you don't want your enemy to know where you are.

Well, with default sounds you hear people jumping, too, and it isn't that dominant...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

The pony voices are taken from a TF2 mod database (which themselves are rips from the original show). Auto-taunts are indeed disabled by default (sadly), and you hear them in that video because I always turn them on from the menu. Same as the jump grunts... I couldn't live without all the visual and audio details Tongue

Updated to version 3.1. A setting for playermodel LOD was added to the menu before 0.6, and it helped me notice I didn't include skin files for the LOD models (causing them to appear untextured). Fixed now.

I love this playermodel. Thanks for making it. I'm gonna tell my bro about this.

My first thought: I wonder if this could be ported to OpenArena, it stands a chance of becoming an official skin there. And, my brain suffered a little today.
Programming is a branch of mathematics.

If they can see your pony model on the server, I think they can select that model in the menu after connecting? I'm not sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little texture pack Black-Dragon131 5 5,822 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Black-Dragon131