Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Xonotic 0.5 Released

Today we can bring you some great news, a brand new release of Xonotic! It has been quite a while since the 0.1 preview version, but we have made immense progress over the last few months. In this blog post we'll be showing off the latest improvements and tell you about the changes we made from the feedback we had after the initial release.

Xonotic 0.5 is the pinnacle of years of collaborative work by gamers, for gamers. It is the second game release from Team Xonotic, but it is the first in which we have really solidified our gameplay direction and decided how we want to progress with development. We're still not ready to call it 1.0 yet, as we have quite a few things we'd like done before that. However, we have made a lot of progress since the 0.1 preview, and you may consider this a stable release already, even though there's still plenty of work left to do.

Again there is a lot to tell, so here is the download link and you can read along whilst you're downloading ;-)

Download Here
Download via Torrent
Download via HTTP

MD5: cdadb384ccf9cad926bb377312832c2f
Package size: 943MiB

We have found a better compression method than used for previous releases, so the 0.5 release is much smaller than what it would've been with old compression (1.4GB).

Multi-language support
Localization spanning across the menu and most of the game now allows for easy translation into many different languages! Currently included are German, Spanish, French, Italian, Hungarian, Dutch, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian and Finnish. (Click image to view some examples)

[Image: english-200x200.jpg]

New and updated maps
7 new default maps were added the game (afterslime, courtfun, leave_em_behind, newtonian-nightmare, runningman, techassault, xoylent), and many others have been updated with new details and gameplay tweaks. Community mappers have also stepped up to add over 100 additional maps which can be played in the game.

[Image: afterslime-1-200x200.jpg]

Vehicles
We now have vehicles! They are mostly functional at this point and fairly mature with few bugs remaining. However, we still consider this feature to be experimental, and they will need major rebalancing in the future, so no maps for vehicles are included by default, although a few of the aforementioned community maps support them quite well in CTF and DM.

[Image: xonotic000962-200x200.jpg]

Weapons and player movement
We have almost completely rethought the weapon balance and part of player physics, enhancing the core elements of Nexuiz' gameplay style which were so fun in the past while also progressing with new features and tactics.

[Image: xonotic000966-200x200.jpg]

Technical achievements
There are, of course, a number of other achievements which aren't exactly as major the ones mentioned above but are still quite fantastic and should be noted:
  • Optimized post-processing effects, including damage blur and better bloom / HDR. Decals can also be enabled on player models for realistic blood and impact effects.
  • Several new exciting texture packs (including metaltech, stein1, trak6, trak7, exomorph) ready to be used by mappers.
  • Bots now have major AI improvements, including pathfinding, object priorities and movement in general. They also support the Assault game mode now. Included maps were tweaked to have the best possible waypoints for bots.
  • Improvements to how spectating works, now spectators don't go through walls normally and are bound inside the map (though it can be disabled with cl_clippedspectating).
  • Countless updates to how the HUD system works and what it can display, plus a completely new HUD theme to match Luminos menu theme.
  • Updated how waypoints and shownames feature worked. There are now floating names above players, also indicating the health and armor of team mates.
  • Weapon coloring and team coloring is now done almost entirely with glow so that models can now be improved to better match player styling.
  • We have also improved how audio channels are managed. For example,now we can have many separate sounds played for different weapons at the same time without them cutting each other off.
  • Added new game modes and revived some of the older ones. (keepaway, freezetag, assault, etc).
  • New system to manage instant action/bot match creation.
  • Hundreds of bugfixes and code cleanups, including a fix involving a major crash with the Crylink weapon.
  • A large number of old models were replaced or updated, including health models, weapon models, and some other pickup models. Additionally, new player models bring new animations, and we did a little work regarding how model animation works in the code. (Also detail scaling is now possible on all player models, which can help improve framerate).
  • Entirely new font called “Xolonium” made just for Xonotic, which has a giant range of character support, specifically to allow for multiple languages to work flawlessly.
  • Various soundtracks by community members have been added with the new maps, plus there are several waiting and ready to be added with your own new map.
  • And many others...!

Known bugs
Due to a change in the new version of Apple's OS X (Lion), it is not possible to play fullscreen for now. By default it will start windowed, and attempting to set it to fullscreen will give you a completely white screen. This bug is caused by an incompatibility in libsdl, which hopefully will be fixed soon.

Final thoughts
In the bigger picture, as a descendant of Nexuiz, we are raising the standard for F/OSS gaming by focusing on quality over quantity. Taking the time needed to have the best artwork, design and gameplay possible, relative to the free gaming world. As you can see, we're making huge steps toward this goal, and we would love to for you to enjoy our work. Of course, we also invite anyone to contribute and help us in our quest to create the best possible fast-paced open-source FPS game. Either way, we hope this release will be just as fun for all to play as it is for us to make.

Please spread the word about this release, and let us know any feedback you have about the game. Take a look at the media page for Xonotic content (such as banners, screenshots, videos) for advertising and support.

You can also report a bug by going to the Redmine Development Tracker (Development > Report Bug), and join us in discussion on the Forums (Community > Forums) or on IRC via #xonotic on irc.quakenet.org or irc.freenode.org.

Happy fragging. Wink

woohoo! ;D

YAHOOO!!!!! PROGRESS, GOTTA LOVE IT!!!! Big Grin

Downloading now, looks like another step towards being the best arena FPS ever made, only being challenged by the original Unreal Tournament (QW, DM Classic, Q3A, UT2k4, UC2, and Warsow can't touch it now) in terms of gameplay and variety. I think it will have UT99 beat in those areas (which is saying A LOT, UT99 is considered by MANY gamers and critics to be the best multiplayer game period.) by the time 1.0 rolls around, only being challenged by it's active modding community.

I'm working on updating all of my servers at the moment -- They're "official" servers, they have the official tag.

Hopefully they'll be done in the next hour or so.

Downloading and ready to help translating whenever press release is done Big Grin

cool, coolcoolcool

w00t!
Congrats team!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

cool! heads up for all the hard work you guys put into it Big Grin
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

Such great news!!!! have been seriously waiting for this. Smile Will re-motivate me to continue with my mapping projects!
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

BL**DY F*CKING AWESOME
[Image: steam.gif]

Gentlemen, please pardon my boner.

Good stuff devs, this is exactly what the project needed.

Hopefully I will find some time to actually play this today! I'm going to get the hell back to work and might slip in an hour or two of testing tonight.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

DID SOME ONE SAY THE GAME HAS GONE .5??????????

DID SOME ONE SAY THEY HAD A BONER?

I HAVE A BONER!

and now i will have .5 too

er

the game... not the size.

YAY!

t

:^

Great news!!! And congrats to the entire team Big Grin

Sooooo good, love the post processing when you get strength!! the game as a whole thus far is such a good achievement!

Some minor bugs I noticed that can easily be resolved (although may be a matter of my opinion), I thought i'd note them so I don't forget.
1.Toggle zoom is maintained while reloading mg
2.Per weapon cross-hairs are not enabled by default
3.In keyhunt the HUD key symbols still have nexuiz logos
4.No default map display key
5.Auto FOV detection based on screen aspect ratio
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

(09-08-2011, 05:54 AM)Cuinnton Wrote: Sooooo good, love the post processing when you get strength!! the game as a whole thus far is such a good achievement!

Some minor bugs I noticed that can easily be resolved (although may be a matter of my opinion), I thought i'd note them so I don't forget.
1.Toggle zoom is maintained while reloading mg
2.Per weapon cross-hairs are not enabled by default
3.In keyhunt the HUD key symbols still have nexuiz logos
4.No default map display key
5.Auto FOV detection based on screen aspect ratio

1: Not sure if we really should do anything here, plus it's not really possible/easy to "disable" togglezoom instantly from server code as that's managed entirely as a script/with CSQC
2: I agree, should be "fixed" ;D
3: Hmm, will look into that later -- I thought we had new images for this? Maybe jaykay or sev can make new ones anyway.
4: What do you mean? sorry
5: How exactly would this work?

Wooo finally! Big Grin

A known bug is also an issue with the Hagar secondary and switching weapons.

nhighs

(09-08-2011, 06:24 AM)Mirio Wrote: Wooo finally! Big Grin

No, that one is fixed in the release.

Or is it not?
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

*woohoo*
cool stuff.

Congrats devs
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

(09-08-2011, 06:28 AM)divVerent Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 06:24 AM)Mirio Wrote: Wooo finally! Big Grin

No, that one is fixed in the release.

Or is it not?

Nevermind I did not see you fix until now.

Will download this tonight and play tomorrow evening, as i'm going bed as soon as I get home from work.
By the way, has the press release gone out too the sites? I've found like only 2 sites so far that have the news about the new release, thought there'd be more already?
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Runs smooth, looks just as pretty, most of the bugs gone, etc. Only issue is that I get serious stutter if I enable decals on players, though that could be my GPU causing it. I started with a clean config file to make sure it wasn't one of my crazier tweaks causing it.

(09-08-2011, 05:32 AM)chooksta Wrote: I HAVE A BONER!

and now i will have .5 too

:^

[Image: 111_20110710202802_obafcc6.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Xonotic 0.8.2 released! Antibody 35 47,364 04-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Th3 TqMaZ45
  XonStat data snapshot released Antibody 10 14,352 01-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  Xonotic 0.8.1 Released! Antibody 36 38,257 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Last Post: [*Mr.Chri$*]
  Xonotic 0.8 Released! Antibody 77 94,170 02-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  Xonotic 0.7 Released! Antibody 92 167,910 12-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Last Post: sol-invictus
  ZeroQL has released his fragmovie! CuBe0wL 0 6,189 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Automatic Update Script for Autobuilds Released Antibody 1 10,331 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Xonotic 0.1 Preview Released merlijn 63 83,288 02-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Last Post: chooksta