Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning to help with the code - where to start?

I've always wanted to help this project more than just translating lines into Finnish, so I've been wondering if I could help with the code.

I'm pretty newbie to programming, and therefore I just want to know how I could help with minor things - if needed. I've programmed just for 1 year, but I've progressed with insane speed because my university requires insane programming skills. Big Grin I started with Java basics, had a 4-month-course with it and then started with C. 5 months with C and 20 hours work per week really taught me how to make code. Currently I'm studying C++, which is follow-up course from C, and this course is almost as intensive as C was.

With knowledge of C (and C++) there shouldn't be problems to learn QuakeC. However, I have never coded anything "big" and therefore I have to get in touch Xonotic code developement before I can actually start helping.

So, I'm asking you devs, how do I get started - from the zero?

PS. I made this topic also for other people who wants to help this project, they could get vital information from this thread. Smile

I'd also like to help with the code if possible. My Java skills probably won't be of any use here, but I have some knowledge in C as well - that is, on the level of syntax, general keywords, yet my knowing of even the standard libraries is rather sparse.

I can offer C#, some HLSL and a bit C++ Big Grin have to try QuakeC
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Most important probably is checking the bug tracker, and tracking down bugs reported there.

Also, unfa had this post idea about making the bots talk. This could be an ideal topic to get started with.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Implement this game mode, and more importantly, create monsters and simple AI for them. Like in quake, unreal, etc.
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=841

Also add fireballs, arrows, other projectile shooters.
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2146

Quake had that too. I miss fireball traps.
And monsters.
Imagine, you walking, then a fireball hits you and you keep burning (like secondry of fireball launcher) untill you jump into wasser.

Bit by bit, I'm starting to suspect a firetroll here…

(09-18-2011, 01:34 PM)Lord Canistra Wrote: Bit by bit, I'm starting to suspect a firetroll here…

Fire elemental.

Also, what are the best ways to get acquainted with DP engine code? Are the some documentation collections, or do I just have to read sources, file by file, to understand how everything works, why is this here, what's it connected to and so on?

Read the sources IIRC, I've never seen any documentation, and bug Lord Havok.

(09-18-2011, 01:34 PM)Lord Canistra Wrote: Bit by bit, I'm starting to suspect a firetroll here…

SSHHHH! You'll blow his cover!

Well pardon me, if I'm not aware of some new forum game.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Source code for Peach Mod daveblanchard 4 2,352 03-30-2021, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
Heart Paid work to help demo an integration into Xonotic stuart 9 6,285 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Last Post: stuart
  Help with Client for Machine Learning QuakingInFearOfQuakeC 1 2,578 04-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Xonotic Git Help Molnija 4 5,150 01-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Random start weapons Lyberta 0 2,685 09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Lyberta
  Trying to understand darkplaces source code wiefie 22 15,543 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: wiefie
  Weapon models WIP help. Beagle 1 3,495 05-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Question Hello and Offering Coding/Testing Help But Having Probs darrell_l 1 3,148 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Mepper
  Altering Xonotic Source Code perljamz10 7 12,938 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  I'd like to help with Xonotic Frogging101 4 5,026 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo