Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warsow

Hi guys,

Great project, looks really interesting.

A quick one, though. Why would I play this and not Warsow? Warsow seems to be a much more polished game with an already fading fanbase. Besides the whole "fresh game" appeal of Xonotic is there anything that really makes it stand out? If people don't play Warsow, why would they play this?

I've yet to install it, btw, so I'm not speaking to the quality of Xonotic

Eh, it's a matter of personal taste. I know I'm biased against warsow because of the lesser sense of community and the proprietary assets.

But I see no reason one would have to decide between the two. If you are interested in both, why would you not play both?

The games feel rather different, especially movement-wise. Also I feel that Xonotic is easier to aim with, using the Nex I can use the crosshair reliably whereas the electrobolt seems to hit anywhere but in the crosshair... probably attributable to Xonotic's great antilag function. I agree with Mr.Bougo, it's a matter of personal taste and there's no need to decide between the two. I, too, play Warsow sometimes. :o)

Oh, and Xonotic has this nice community, remember? :oP
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

*sees a Warsow thread on a piece of the internet he lurks*

Get this crap outta here. I can name quite a few reasons to play Xonotic and quite a few NOT to play Warsow, in particular I find the weapons and movement focus (which really isn't much more than a chore actually) in Warsow to be annoying as hell at best (pain in the ass to move which is bad because the game is based solely on it's movement, weapons not balanced well and not fun to use, multiple ammo system clumsy as hell) . It also has a rather bad almost non-existent (well Xonotic's will also be pretty non-existent until 1.0 to be fair, but Nexuiz used to have a HUGE playerbase back in 2.4.2 while Warsow has almost always been dead when I tried to get online with it) community with members who have trolled the Nexuiz crowd which is another minus.

I have to say I like Warsow movement and don't see the balancing issues you named. It probably burns down to personal taste, I guess.

I can't say anything about the community because I didn't yet notice any community whenever I played Warsow...
My Xonstats Profile

No flaming hey. Warsow is an independant game, plus it's free and crossplatform. Just for that I'm glad it exists.

Threads like this are what give the Warsow community a bad name. They have a history of trolling other games and saying the same thing "why should I play this instead of Warsow?", as if you can't play more than one game(or apparently walk and chew gum and the same time in the case of the majority of their infantile, flaming fanbase).

IMO Warsow is a pretty good game, with a terrific, efficient engine, but I don't particularly like the weapon balance at all. Far too weak in power, to the point where too many players are able to escape an attack because of the movement combined with the weak weaponry. It's instagib is among the best out there though Smile

I like how you speed around frenzily in CA mode, also the slide mode is kinda nice.
My Xonstats Profile

@Lee_Stricklin
Calm down and go in your corner! You are none of a bit better than the community of warsow, that you mentioned here.

(09-25-2011, 05:54 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: No flaming hey. Warsow is an independant game, plus it's free and crossplatform. Just for that I'm glad it exists.
I totally agree.

Yes, the gameplay of Warsow is more focused on movement and yes it has not the amount of weapons Xonotic has. But I dont see any problem. Forget about this stereotype thinking - you can play both games! People should try them out and decide for themselves what they like and what not. Both games are free and you can believe me both games are fun.

PS: A game or the game developers are not responsible for the community!

Comparing Xonotic with Warsow is like comparing apples with oranges.

Xonotic and Warsow are under the same game genre, but still they're completely different games with different aspects and gameplay. Some like features in Warsow and some prefer some other features in Xonotic. There are many types of people in this world with different taste, and therefore these kind of comparisions are simply kinda dull. Or course speculation is always welcome, but one must keep my words in mind or it turns just into massive trolltopic without any purpose.

Quote:I can name quite a few reasons to play Xonotic and quite a few NOT to play Warsow <large list of Warsow cons follows>
Quote:good game, with a terrific, efficient engine

wtf is going on in this thread anyway?

(09-25-2011, 11:14 AM)Lord Canistra Wrote: wtf is going on in this thread anyway?

Lee turned up Big Grin

Xonotic has better graphics, I also prefer Xonotic's weaponry as it is pretty good now balance wise and damge wise. I have to be honest and say I haven't played Warsow in some time, but I didn't get much of a feeling of the weapons actually hitting someone, which was how Xonotic was until it all got re-vamped.

Xonotic community is by far much more friendlier.

Warsow has better movement however, It takes more skill to be good at it then movement in Xonotic takes.

Never really got into Warsow, otherwise I'd probably play it now, just my reasons though.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I wonder why this thread is still here, while the "let's drop Windows support already" thread went straight to WW...?
My Xonstats Profile

Because here discussion is possible.

You can walk and chew gum at the same time, damn why wasn't I told about it?

Anyways, I like Warsow, and (rarely, just like Xono) still play it, it's community is just way more competitive than the current Xonotic one. The emphasis is on dodge and getting the second level ammo for a map and controlling it + the other important powerups, while the advantage for the second ammo isn't that big, it's still feel like an important piece to control. I also like the graphics and it has god awesome maps, it's problem is Instagib CA ... that makes no sense.

The question is not why should you play Xonotic instead of Warsow, but 'Why should I NOT play both Xonotic and Warsow'. So go get Warsow, go get Xonotic, get two monitors and play them both at the same time.
#deathmatchers

(09-25-2011, 11:14 AM)Lord Canistra Wrote: wtf is going on in this thread anyway?

We're packing up and moving it to WW