Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Xonotic: Trailer

Halogene:

(09-25-2011, 12:33 PM)Samual Wrote: Unfortunately, because of the music fisume used, we legally cannot use the trailer officially. (So it cannot be put on Desura page, or embedded on front page of website)

A project like ours cannot simply use copyrighted music like that for a trailer without getting permission for it... Also, the artist in question (http://www.brandxmusic.net) is supposedly expensive to license... so we're basically screwed regarding this. The only way to fix this is to change the music track for the entire video...

It's a very nice trailer, but useless officially.

People aren't benevolent like that.

Just how do you know? Nobody asked, that's all I meant. If just a couple of people in that group have an interest in supporting OSS software, and if the inquiry is received by such a person, chances are that someone that is entitled to do so will say, ok use it I don't care. If you don't try you cannot say it won't work. I don't think it is probable that the thing will be licensed for free for this trailer but it is not impossible. Especially since nobody is using their hard work for its own profit, but for a non-profit project. Nobody is making money off their hard work here.

Besides, what harm could it possibly do? I am not sure Fisume could be forced to take the trailer off the web but maybe he should do so before asking just to be on the safe side. Apart from that there's nothing to lose that cannot be lost if they coincidentally stumble upon the trailer by themselves, and I'd suspect the reaction of the IP owners would be different if they detect a possible infringement by themselves than if they are being asked kindly if they would mind.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

We're talking about a business. A business that provides Hollywood with music for their big movies.

Oh, do they really provide things for Hollywood? I thought they had interesting cool stuff...

XoP

BTW I once inquired from a very big US media company in a similar way the usage of a very well known protected term for a COMMERCIAL but very limited action and I told them everything was already prepared and we only just encountered the question if that would infringe something and we're not going to use it again for anything else but now we have already everything set up and guess what they said:

don't do it again but it's ok for now.

And I am not talking about a company that you haven't heard of so far. I bet you have.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Which doesn't affect Halogene's last point.

"the reaction of the IP owners would be different if they detect a possible infringement by themselves than if they are being asked kindly if they would mind."
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

The difference consisting in a warning before the cease & desist?

Bleh, sorry, but I fail to be anything but pessimistic about this. That and I'd greatly prefer free content.
Btw, does fisume have permission for the stock footage he used?

(09-29-2011, 01:16 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Btw, does fisume have permission for the stock footage he used?

If you are referring to the planet, he made that himself, with textures from NASA (which are Public Domain).

I also used cloud time-lapse footage from Andrew Kramer which is free to use (license can be seen on his site VideoCopilot).

Now, if you want to continue discussions about the music copyright etc, please do so on IRC and/or a pm to me.

Cheers,
fis

I know that it is bad practice to post in a dead thread, but this one needs to come back to life. I just got done watching this video, and had one though why is this not the first thing people see on the home page? The other video there does not come close in terms of selling the game to the viewer. Not only that but this should appear before the text on the home page. People attention is short and you want to get the hooks into them quick, and this video sums it up beautifully! This would really help sell the game, which it turn would add to the community.

LOL, just watched the video again without any sound. Still better than whats on home page. Just a though why no just use some of the music from the game, I mean it pretty good.

I don't think Fisume wants to work on making the trailer copyright-compliant. As said in his message just above yours, PM him.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Trailer (help needed!) machine! 29 28,373 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Archer
  We need an official trailer Droid 2 4,151 11-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Sarge999
  TRAILER COLLABORATION Samual 23 28,172 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Last Post: kojn^
  [Trailer] Farewell (Real) PCLizard 11 11,677 05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Chryyz
  Trailer for Upcoming Frag Movie PCLizard 11 12,821 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Fisume