Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oh teh noes, another n00b!

Shocked 
Hello there fellow strangers and strange people! :O

Well, I decided it was probably time to stop lurking and introduce myself...
I started playing Nexuiz almost at the moment it died from being sold off/whatever, so I quit because no one was online… Then I found out that it had been forked and there are lots of people!

You'll find me on the XA servers seeing as I live in ye olde land down under, and the ping is terrible for me everywhere else Tongue I'm basically a casual player out to have fun whenever I have a spare moment, so I don't care too much whether I get completely destroyed or if I get one, maybe two, kills!

Here's a bit about me:
-I'm fluent in French and English, and I speak a bit of Spanish too! Feel free to use me to practice them on if you want.
- I'm a student about to start in CS, so maybe if I manage to acquire some 1337 h4xx0r skills I'll be able to contribute to the development of Xonotic one day!
- This is the first fast paced FPS game I've played, coming from the 'slower' games such as Halo or CoD and various puzzle games and having never played UT or Quake; heck I haven't even played much Counter Strike! (what's that? The sound of thousands of horrified gamers shooting me to pieces? Yes, yes it is. Tongue )
- I'm trying to ESDF rather than WASD for the first time, so my fingers and keybinds still need work (if I "flag seen" at you for no apparent reason, please do frag me Tongue)

Hopefully I'll improve at Quakelike games to the point where I'm not just cannon fodder but can also deal a small amount of damage here and there too, and maybe even manage to complete some race maps in the required times!

I'll see you all on the servers Smile

Hooray! Welcome here, nice person.

What a nice introduction, I can identify with a lot you said about yourself (except that I don't live in Australia maybe). I also use ESDF instead of WASD, I like to have all weapon binds around those keys and feel very comfortable with that. But since I started with the default layout back in Nexuiz some years ago I got so used to some keys (like the chat key or the Laser), that I still use the default position, only shifted one to the right (Laser is on "2", chat is on "z" - German keyboard). But having all other weapon binds directly around the movement keys is really useful.

Nice to have another australian player on board! We already have some very nice Australian community members and welcome any addition :o)

Cheers and have a nice frag!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Hello #asbestos#.

Welcome to the dark halls of insanity =) .
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

(09-27-2011, 02:36 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Hooray! Welcome here, nice person.

Why thank you! Are you a nice person too? Tongue

Halogene Wrote:What a nice introduction, I can identify with a lot you said about yourself (except that I don't live in Australia maybe). I also use ESDF instead of WASD, I like to have all weapon binds around those keys and feel very comfortable with that. But since I started with the default layout back in Nexuiz some years ago I got so used to some keys (like the chat key or the Laser), that I still use the default position, only shifted one to the right (Laser is on "2", chat is on "z" - German keyboard). But having all other weapon binds directly around the movement keys is really useful.

Nice to have another australian player on board! We already have some very nice Australian community members and welcome any addition :o)

Cheers and have a nice frag!

Thanks Halogene! I never really liked the default keybinds but didn't find out how to change them until recently Tongue Time for me to print out a keybinds picture and learn them I guess.

Sless Wrote:Hello #asbestos#.

Welcome to the dark halls of insanity =) .

They may be dark but they're full of life which is definitely a plus! Besides, sane people are boring. Tongue

(09-27-2011, 03:59 AM)#asbestos# Wrote:
(09-27-2011, 02:36 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Hooray! Welcome here, nice person.

Why thank you! Are you a nice person too? Tongue

I strive to!

So you're from Australia and you're fluent in french... D'où te vient ta connaissance du français?

(09-27-2011, 04:23 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I strive to!

So you're from Australia and you're fluent in french... D'où te vient ta connaissance du français?

SECRETS AND LIES! D:

Plus sérieusement, j'ai suivi presque tous mes cours en français depuis la maternelle - je suis bilingue anglais/français à cause de cela Smile C'est très utile. Y como puedo hablar español también, ¡es muy facil de communicar con el mundo!

¿Y tú? Or rather, ¿y usted?

Welcome.

I use arrow keys to move. Tongue

That's awesome!

French is my first language. My knowledge of english is mostly self-thaught (thank you internet people!) and therefore crummy at times, but I'm cool with that.

I barely survived french lessons in school (I'd blame the teacher rather than the language), but I can speak finnish, also mainly self-taught. Anyone interested? Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile

Welcome Big Grin I did know quite a bit of Spanish but haven't had nobody to talk to so I have nearly forgot everything but the very basics and a few curse words, lol. Hope to see you in game sometime Smile
SAVAGE
[Image: SavageFinal-1.jpg]

@Mr. Bougo, it is indeed quite awesome Tongue I'm lucky I suppose, because my social group is comprised of people coming from all over the world so together we speak a helluva lot of languages and can help each other with them Smile

@Halogene, isn't Finnish supposed to be one of the hardest languages to learn in the world, along with Danish and so on? I'm impressed! You earn +10 respect points Tongue

I would be interested if I wasn't teaching myself Hindi and Bengali at the moment at the request of some friends - boy their alphabets are hard to learn, I'm having a lot of trouble remembering which consonant combination belongs to which symbol!

@SavageDogg, cursing is still an important part of Spanish culture, heck people greet close friends with swear words half the time so you're halfway there! Wink

Yes, I suppose Finnish is a very hard language to learn (I can tell Tongue), though I suspect Danish not to be that difficult since it is similar to German, Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian, which Finnish isn't at all.

Oh boy, Hindi and Bengali? That sounds cool, really. What languages are they comparable to? I have no idea.
My Xonstats Profile

Danish indeed looks like German, Swedish, Dutch and Norwegian. I am Dutch, and I was on holiday in Norway, and I could just read Norwegian and understand it.

Finish is only a little familiar to Hungarian/Magyar. But they are still VERY different, and supposed to be almost the hardest languages in the world.

And I think Basque is also one of the candidates for that :o)
My Xonstats Profile

Heh, so much for my list of 'hard to learn languages' then... although I still hold on to the thought that the hardest one to learn would be the Pirahã language spoken by the tribe in the Amazon of the same name. One of the oldest spoken languages containing many sounds other languages almost never use!

Hindi and Bengali are similar to Punjabi, Urdu and that whole familiy of Middle-Eastern languages. Each one has their own unique alphabet I believe (Hindi Bengali and Urdu do at least), but you can write each language in the various alphabets and they have similar words for the same meaning... Smile

One thing I've never understood is how some people simply cannot get on with others who speak different languages or come from different cultures... but perhaps that's just because I've always been in with many different backgrounds and I'm just so used to it.

Hello from the other side of the world.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another new member. Mysyk 0 1,414 08-25-2018, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Mysyk
  T0MuX, another french guy T0MuX 8 5,292 07-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  Giving it another shot Red Viper 5 4,677 03-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Red Viper
  just another newbie doesn't know what the h i'm doin..... earwax 5 4,492 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Last Post: bitbomb
  another new person. WiFiDi 7 4,833 05-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Mepper
Thumbs Up yet another newbie SodaCant 8 6,387 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC]
  One more Minsta player?! Oh,noes... Vargos 4 5,260 10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Vargos
  yet another guy needing an itch to scratch Ravetograve 7 5,289 09-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Last Post: mand1nga
Tongue Yet another noob Spyz 8 8,657 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Another (short) introduction monad 7 8,086 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste