Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

- Xonotic! What does the server list say about their user level?
- It's UNDER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNND!!!
- WHAT? NOT NINE THOUSAND??? D:

Yes... it happens whenever I look at the server list. After the 0.5 release, I was hoping Xonotic will start being known for its features and great quality. But apparently, as with most open source projects, no matter how good they are they barely get the popularity they should.

I know there have been topics like this in the past, but I'd really like to know what's going wrong. In every aspect, Xonotic should have beaten old titles like UT'99 and Quake 1-3. Yet those still have hundreds of servers and dozens of players at any hour of the day, whereas Xonotic has about 3 online players at best. Even Nexuiz had more players during its time, and what's Xonotic but Nexuiz with greater quality? I know we lack a reasonable number of maps (of different themes and environments) and enough player models of different types and species, both matters discussed in other topics. But other than that, what's not to love? Huh

Maybe it's time we make harsher plans to advertise Xonotic around the internets (eg: putting banners on all our non-Xonotic blogs and forum signatures). Or make some pools for people who are not actively part of Xonotic (but have tried it) asking what reasons they would not keep playing for. Maybe there are key features we're missing to inspire people... or maybe we still don't look like a serious enough project.

I'm dedicating this topic to thinking of all such reasons, as well as brainstorming to find ways of bringing Xonotic to the popularity it should have. Without constant online players, there can't be as much fun for the average player. What is the key to this problem, and what can and should be done?

Messages In This Thread
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by MirceaKitsune - 10-16-2011, 05:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 329 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,016 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,833 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0