Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

(10-16-2011, 07:55 AM)Wh1sper Wrote: Good old shooter like Ut2004 Quake3 Arena, are all having a heay disadvantage. You must have install them!
Every Gamer know what es mess a new computer is, beside the Operating system one have to install all the stuff you need. Every Game needs to be installed.
Here comes the advantage of Xonotic. It works out of the box! Unzipping it and one can play.
This could not be underestimated. This is the point where distribution on Live CDs; Gaming Magazines and others comes in.
Once this job is done I'm sure the online Community will grow up.

Good observation. I always enjoyed that Nexuiz / Xonotic doesn't have to be installed, and loved programs that come with both an installer and archived. I even remember when I was a kid and switched from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95, I used to complain that "programs need to be installed now, instead of unpacking them like before". After many years, I still feel the same way often Smile Whenever I install UT2004, I need to insert 6 CD's, and if one has a reading problem at that moment, I start over again. Xonotic doesn't even have this issue, further being easy and flexible.

As for distribution with gaming magazines: Would that go against GPL if it were done for free? That could be a huge way to help advertising! Of course, if any magazine would wish to do such a thing and have reason to. Given Xonotic's quality, it might not be excluded however. The way I found Nexuiz years ago was from a newspaper article, which is quite surprising if I think about it now.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by MirceaKitsune - 10-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 375 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,053 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,956 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0