Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

AGAIN, I would like to recommend everyone that actually cares to idle on the public servers, preferably on pure ones. My repeatedly verified observation is that if you idle on a server at a time where you would others expect to play it takes less than 10 minutes until other people join.

Now if we REALLY want people to get hooked to this game, we should show off one of the game's most likeable asset: it's friendly community. That means if you notice that a player joins, greet him. If you notice the player is obviously new to this game, offer yourself to provide tips and tricks to the gameplay. If he's interested and if there are too many players already on the public server, ask him to connect to an unpopulated server with you (good thing is that way you start attracting players for that other server too, happened to me already).

Then take your time to explain stuff about Xonotic. I always use the following structure:

First, I explain the movement. I show bunny hopping, if not already known, i show how to make sharp turns at high speed, then I move on to laser jumping and after that I explain ramp jumping on some examples (everything with letting the player spec you and try afterwards). Then I move to the weapons, I explain the rocket launcher which is a most impressive weapon to many players due to its non-obvious features like
  1. remote detonation
  2. guided missiles
  3. rocket flying
Then I move on to electro and show the combo. I explain the mortar secondary, hagar secondary, maybe the charging of the nex and, at last, the crylink and how to release the primary fire so that all particles concentrate on a spot (preferrably the enemy). This is best to practice against a flat wall at some distance so you can see from the decals where the hit goes.

If you have the time, go on to weapon combos like laser/mortar nex combos, juggling people around for irritation and the importance of using weapon binds for accessing them quickly.

I have excercised this program already a couple of times with new players and every one of them was like "wow thank you" and rather impressed. Except one player that said he'd like some tips and when I started he said that nah he'd rather play instead and after a while he said that "this is crap I go back to Nexuiz". But he was a declared fan of insta hook and refused to play insta hook on Xonotic with me for some strange reason so I gather it was sort of an idiot anyway.

I strongly recommend you people on this forum that complain about too few players on the publics, PLEASE go idling if you'd like to play a public game, people WILL join. If you have the guts, welcome and teach new players, and by that, manifest what aspect of Xonotic manages to keep people active in this community, sometimes even though they themselves don't play actively much anymore.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by Halogene - 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 387 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,073 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,977 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0