Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Disabling textures?

Question 
Hello everyone

I'm simply wondering wether it is possible to disable textures (if you've watched the QL championship matches on YouTube, you know what I mean) to improve framerate. My graphicscrad is very week and even on lowest possible settings in the "video" and "effects" menus, I only get 20-30fps.

Thanks in advance.

--nawwashere

g_picmip - 0 is default value, you can increase it to reduce resolution of textures. Type g_picmip_4 in console (4 or even more)
you can try increasing g_picmip_world instead (only for environment textures, so playermodels, weapons and items will look fine).

some things to increase framerate can be found also here:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2173
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Or r_showsurfaces 3

If your desperate, you can try typing in (BACK UP YOUR CONFIG FILE FIRST!):

exec effects-omg.cfg

and then apply:

cl_projectiles_sloppy 1 (you really should enable this no matter what since it's not noticeable visually anyway)

cl_playerdetailreduction 5 (or higher if your REALLY desperate)

The following tweaks will adjust how your game adjusts itself to maintain it's frame rate:

cl_minfps 30 (your game will try to hold this, even if it has to reduce a few effects to do it)

cl_minfps_fade 1337 (How fast the game lowers effects to maintain the frame rate. Higher values make it drop faster.)

cl_minfps_qualitypower 1337 (Power that minfps_fade uses, higher will make the quality drop sharper.)

You can use the following command to cap or uncap your frame rate, setting it to 0 keeps the fps uncapped. Setting it to 30 will cap it at 30 and so on:

cl_maxfps 0

You can also tweak your motion blur to hide choppy frames (you may need to enable blur and sharpen post processing to go with this if I'm correct):

r_motionblur 0.007000 (DRASTICALLY lower than what the slider allows.)

r_motionblur_maxblur 2 (This is actually more than double the default, though it only goes this high when it should.)
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

You can use my high fps / competitive config: http://ompldr.org/vYm9ybQ/asyyy_gfx.cfg
How to use it:
1. Copy the .cfg file into your data/ dir
2. Open console, usually with ^
3. Type: exec asyyy_gfx.cfg
4. Press enter
5. Type: vid_restart
6. Press enter

effects-omg.cfg looks neat but gives bad performance compared to what is possible. Especially r_showsurfaces 3 seems to be a fps killer. I would love to use it but it eats ~30% of fps on my linux + ati system.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] How to use textures for radiant(win version)? (solved) Kotangens 4 2,892 08-12-2020, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SOLVED] Textures don't load at other side of warpzone bananovenc 6 2,983 06-11-2020, 12:56 PM
Last Post: bananovenc
  [BUG] some textures won't load with git builds lister 2 2,444 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: LuckyStripe
  [SOLVED] Can't See Custom User Models/Textures Deathsbreed 4 3,749 05-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Deathsbreed
  [SOLVED] turning on spectator chat in duel, and disabling overkill TrackPt 1 2,781 02-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] net radiant - no textures Raxno 5 5,953 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [NEEDS INFO] Third map doesn't show any textures or shading? On MacBook 2.1 C2D blickblocks 4 5,253 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SOLVED] [SOLVED]map compile final "some textures doesn't show up" Leeloo 8 11,037 07-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Maddin
  [SOLVED] Help with a Model: OBJ textures missing Minkovsky 8 12,469 12-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Last Post: BARTUC
  [SOLVED] Textures disappeared overnight? Minkovsky 10 9,808 11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky