Create an account

Poll: Implement Loafer's Suggestions
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
15.38%
2 15.38%
No
53.85%
7 53.85%
LOL?
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
[SUGGESTION] Loafer's Suggestions

1) Do damage when you land on someone. Preferably insta kill.
2) Add Shock Combo. Preferably get rid of the alt fire scope on that sniper laser weapon thingy (I'm bad with names) and make it shoot balls. PEW PEW. Srsly, do pros even need a scope?
3) In addition to dealing dmg from lazer beam, make the laser sniper weapon thingy shoot sparks when it hits a target or wall dealing minor damage (similar to that ut2004 laser gun thingy).
4) Include simple wall jumping like ut2004. I don't want anything sophisticated like warsow.
5) Get rid of that starting laser jumping weapon thingy and add double jumps like in ut2004. If you wanna jump higher, use rocket launcher or go play Warsow.
6) Make a xonotic wiki.
7) Remove mortar gun. It's like a redundant version of a rocket launcher albeit weaker. Secondary is pretty useful though. So I propose the inclusion of a new weapon mainly for defense orientated warfare, which Xonotic is completely lacking imo (I don't like the mine gun that's already in the game). Primary would be mortar's secondary, and the alt would be something like a biorifle gooooo!
8) Remove auto-healing.

That's all I can think for now.

Your thoughts?

1okay
2nope
3it's not an electric gun
4okay
5NO
6okay
7HELL NO. I strongly reccomend you play more often if mortar is not your favourite gun
8nope, the tendancy for equilbrium forces faster gameplay

If you're trying to redefine the direction of the Xonotic project, you aren't going to get anywhere. if you want walljumping/shock combo PLAY THE RESPECTIVE GAMES.

if you'd like to contribute ideas don't make them clones of other game's functionality. removing well loved functionality (Such as the laz0r pistol) is simply bad policy and a good way to loose your playerbase.

Edit: sorry if the occasional caps come off a little abrasive, but xonotic can't afford to alienate it's userbase.

What s1lencer said.

As for wikis, we do have a dev wiki. If you want something that can be edited by anyone without having their account deactivated, find us some mods and admins first. Else this will turn into OUNS, with spambots and people not understanding page layouts.

^ I do think we should have a player wiki for the final relase though, like the minecraft wiki.

1) it is already possible to kill somebody by landing on him while hes in the air and cause him to fall, but yes this would be fun
2) nope, every weapon has scope btw
3) there are some particles (blue sparks for xon), and flames red/blue for other guns
4) there is wall jumping in UT?
5) it is ironic that you are sending people to play other games for liking present mechanics while suggesting to change them
7) it serves its purpose, basic middle tier weapon
8) you probably haven't played against pros yet, it is very good for escaping from fight to grab healths, but if you don't, it wont help you that much, its the opposite of only temporary gain over 100, it encourages fair gameplay

(02-10-2012, 01:37 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: 5) it is ironic that you are sending people to play other games for liking present mechanics while suggesting to change them

Splendid observation! I couldn't have said that better.

Loafer, input appreciated, but it seems you are suggesting to make Xonotic like a clone of UT2004... I like UT2004, too, but if I want to play UT2004, I play UT2004 (Which on a side note doesn't happen anymore because I like Xonotic better but that's a different story). It is INTENDED that Xonotic plays differently than UT2004, I'd suggest you dive a little deeper into Xonotic gameplay and try to think of ideas that enforce Xonotic's original gameplay strengths and character rather than turning it more into something that already exists. :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(02-09-2012, 08:24 PM)Loafers Wrote: Your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(02-09-2012, 08:24 PM)Loafers Wrote: make it shoot balls. PEW PEW.

Best idea ever.

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Quote:1) Do damage when you land on someone. Preferably insta kill.

Not bad idea, but probably won't happen often, and definitely not insta kill unless height is huge. Maybe transfer of fall damage from one onto other.

Quote:2) Add Shock Combo. Preferably get rid of the alt fire scope on that sniper laser weapon thingy (I'm bad with names) and make it shoot balls. PEW PEW. Srsly, do pros even need a scope?

Already done. See electro weapon, you can hit secondary with primary for larger explosion(s).

Quote:3) In addition to dealing dmg from lazer beam, make the laser sniper weapon thingy shoot sparks when it hits a target or wall dealing minor damage (similar to that ut2004 laser gun thingy).

Unnecessary IMO. But nex's trace could use some improved quality, because it is still a little blurry when zoomed.

Quote:4) Include simple wall jumping like ut2004. I don't want anything sophisticated like warsow.

Not sold on it, but could be.

Quote:5) Get rid of that starting laser jumping weapon thingy and add double jumps like in ut2004. If you wanna jump higher, use rocket launcher or go play Warsow.

Hell no! For both, really, you can already move with tons of speed, double jump would be excessive. UT2004 didn't have bunnyhopping and dodge + double jump was the closest you got to it. You sure don't need it here. And laser is handy because doesn't do much self damage and having separate weapon just for that doesn't hurt your accuracy/efficiency for other weapons.

Quote:6) Make a xonotic wiki.

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/3/wiki

Quote:7) Remove mortar gun. It's like a redundant version of a rocket launcher albeit weaker. Secondary is pretty useful though. So I propose the inclusion of a new weapon mainly for defense orientated warfare, which Xonotic is completely lacking imo (I don't like the mine gun that's already in the game). Primary would be mortar's secondary, and the alt would be something like a biorifle gooooo!

Hell no again.

Quote:8) Remove auto-healing.

Hell no, at worst I think it's configurable server side, as in Overkill servers have very different autohealing rules than default.

(02-09-2012, 08:24 PM)Loafers Wrote: 5) Get rid of that starting laser jumping weapon thingy and add double jumps like in ut2004. If you wanna jump higher, use rocket launcher or go play Warsow.

Yeah, sure. Kill Xonotic! Tongue

1) I like this idea, but why not just do what I do and melee the person underneath. Sure it's difficult, but it's rewarding.
2) Getting rid of the scope wouldn't be popular with the noobs and people who like to snipe on certain maps and I don't see the point in getting rid of it. As for making it shoot balls? Well, the electro already does that. If you were to add an alt fire (to the sniper/nex) it should be something laser-like.
3) That sounds cool, but it should only happen on certain weapons like the electro or shotgun. It wouldn't make sense to add it to a gun like the Crylink or Rocket Launcher.
4) You mean like the wall jumping in Red Eclipse? Well it might be fun, but should only be included in a mod. I don't think Xonotic would benefit much from that, especially when you can use the laser.
5) LOL! It's like saying, "Dudes why don't we get rid of killstreaks in CoD!" It would completely kill it.
6) There already is a wiki, but I think there should be IRC intergration and a feed from clan websites. The wiki could then become a Xonotic info hub.
7) I see what you're saying, but I think the Mortar's primary is good. Make a poll about that I would.
8) Maybe in a mod, but not in the normal game. Especially not in things like Overkill.

Just for clarification, the balls for the nex for comboing that Loafers is referring to is the shock rifle combo from UT2004 and UT3, I believe, which is entirely different from the electro combo with regard to its applicability. It's "detonate a secondary shot ball with primary fire", too, but works somewhat different.

See some shock rifle combos here:

My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Well the Shockrifle combo is nice but Xonotic has the Electro combo which is AWESOME! Big Grin And why removing Mortar?! It´s one of the most used and powerful weapons in Xonotic! (beside Nex and Rocketlauncher) I really don´t know what your problem is with these weapons. If you don´t hit anything with them then it doesn´t automatically mean that they´re bad. Sniper e.g. is an underrated weapon in my opinion; you can easily kill someone with two headshots and a finishing shot (Shotgun or Crylink).

The dev wiki is a dev wiki. It is a wiki in the redmine tracker system. It can host technical content but I'm not sure it's the right place for game-related things.

A wiki is a big amount of work to set up, you don't say "I want a wiki" to suddenly get material for it. All that can be given to you is a blank canvas and it's your task to fill it and keep it updated. I managed OUNS for a while and it did take some work, I'm really thankful to the few contributors who wrote more than just a player page. A lot of player and clan pages were a mess and I had to check every log entry to see if things were done correctly because nobody else would fix the errors. If you can find a dedicated community ready to write content and a few dedicated moderators to thouroughly inspect every contribution, then it can get somewhere. If not, you'll end up with spam and broken links all over the place.

You'll need a good admin as well. And good software. Dokuwiki was not very fun to admin, it hardly had any rollback capabilities so I was constantly worried about vandalism that could take minutes to do and hours to undo. Fortunately it never happened. The plugins were a mess too. Mediawiki seems fine in that respect but quite complicated to admin. And I can't trust hosts like wikia for such things, data is precious and I never managed to export a wiki from there.

Thanks for the replies everyone Smile

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but I had to give it a shot Big Grin

How about tikiwiki?

That's a whole entire CMS. Nope.

How about finding people before picking software?

Well I was only suggesting that someone could make the wiki more of a social hub, but I'm not prepared to create a new wiki. Big Grin
I think the Redmine wiki is good enough.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,986 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Movement + sound related suggestions Smilecythe 13 9,855 12-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] A couple of suggestions Lee_Stricklin 0 2,327 12-05-2016, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] minstagib mechanics & suggestions lister 10 7,925 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Last Post: lister
  [SUGGESTION] Suggestions for controls and HUD Denterroquet 15 15,010 01-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  [SUGGESTION] Reversion Balance - Feedback / Suggestions asyyy 0 3,248 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] Suggestions and Question GoregeousGuy 7 9,586 09-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] XPM Suggestions machine! 4 5,949 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Last Post: mudkip
  [SUGGESTION] Bot suggestions rocknroll237 39 35,631 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  [SUGGESTION] My Xonotic suggestions! rocknroll237 49 62,254 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Morphed