Create an account

Poll: Would you play on a chillout server
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yeah, I would!
81.08%
30 81.08%
I don't need it
10.81%
4 10.81%
No idea, I'd need to see how it work
8.11%
3 8.11%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[SUGGESTION] A practise/chillout/casual server request

Smile 
I missed a server in Nexuiz where people don't run for frags.
A server where they stand for minutes chatting to each other.
Where players practise trickjumps and bunny-hopping with people they like Smile
They might be practising fight, but they are helpfull, don't kill everyone else, don't frag every new player who has problems with walking and aiming at the same time.

A practise/chillout/casual server!

Maybe a server like this should have disabled frag counting so no one has a reason to fight there?

Is there any server running like this?
Is there anyone else who would like to play on that server?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

This seems like a great idea! Veteran players will get better and newbie players can learn to be...well...less newbie-ish. Smile

I'd play there. Ping won't play a role either.
Maybe the dojo could be used for this?

(04-11-2010, 01:51 PM)Roanoke Wrote: I'd play there. Ping won't play a role either.
Maybe the dojo could be used for this?

Yeah, ping issue is a nice thing here. No players should be kicked there for idling or high ping. Only via voting - the server should inform how to call a vote for kick and how to respond to it - as we expect a lot of new players to go there, so they don't know how to kick someone who behaves badly (I don't know either... ops Tongue)

Also a good inforamtion about what is the purpose of this server (like in DCC's Begginers Only) to avoid pros come and kill everyone just for fun, even if frags are not being counted there.

A new idea that just came to my mind in relation to this:
How about a special training map? Filled with inforamtional signs, shooting ranges, all different weapons to try how do thei work. It might be included in the maplist for that server along with all the standard maps.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Good idea, but crashers might come and start killing everyone. But I suppose they can be kicked from the server Smile
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(04-11-2010, 03:35 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: crashers might come and start killing everyone
Who?

(04-11-2010, 03:15 PM)unfa Wrote: A new idea that just came to my mind in relation to this:
How about a special training map? Filled with inforamtional signs, shooting ranges, all different weapons to try how do thei work. It might be included in the maplist for that server along with all the standard maps.
There's already one, it's called "the dojo". You can find it on the NN dojo server.
Hey, we don't need to set up a server, I think the NN dojo server will suit what we want/need very well.

What Roanoke said - but its use dropped when people started crashing it and killing the n00bs.... It's all happened already. I remember starting out I liked to play Galt's LMS, it came with all weapons and hook which makes it a lot easier on n00bs to keep up. Also when you run out of lives you have to spec til it's over (or leave server), and I got to know quite a few ppl there through hanging around after I was all killed off. It was probably the most close-knit server I've ever seen. To top it all off the n00bs got to spec the vets, so some good skills were learned there as well.
[+] MaKR [smooth+o]

(04-11-2010, 04:07 PM)unfa Wrote:
(04-11-2010, 03:35 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: crashers might come and start killing everyone
Who?

People who try to screw up other people's fun, in this case killing everyone on a practice server. Like gatecrashers, but for servers Wink

I swear I've heard "crasher" used in this sense before, but maybe I'm imagining things :/
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

or could just disable killing altogether. maybe people can vote to turn it on and off?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

also, maybe this server could ALWAYS appear at the top of the list, like a stickied topic in a forum. maybe we could have a couple server's like this, designed for specific purposes.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I usually play chillout, even when I'm on normal servers. So yeah, a chillout server would be really nice.

in minsta community old clan members tries to help the new players, creating a new server for new players is a good idea but not a way to block the strong players to access the server may be an internal scoring system such as ACC that will write to the log file and evaluate player when connecting to server

would be nice to play and chill there Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

What a wonderful idea! Smile

chilling on the server with others would be a very cool idea...of course for nOObs too! Big Grin
Quote:maybe people can vote to turn it on and off?
hmm...nice idea. Do you think on a "mod" (you can turn on and off) ?

Lightbulb 
I'am pleased that you guys like this idea Smile

About the practise server:

(04-11-2010, 04:27 PM)Roanoke Wrote: There's already one, it's called "the dojo". You can find it on the NN dojo server.
Hey, we don't need to set up a server, I think the NN dojo server will suit what we want/need very well.

So we need to contact whoever is managing this and ask if he want to turn that server into practise/chillout/casual one.

As for pro players being around on the server - I think they might be helpful, show anybody tricks, act as a moving target Smile and chat with others. If they are just not killing, they are welcome.

As for the dojo map - I didn't play it, never been on that server.

One more thing: promotion.
Once the server is ready, it would be nice for it to become the official xonotic practise/chillout/casual server. As an official it should get a default bookmark in the game and/or be mentioned in a tutorial so all new players will know where they can start and play online without a rush.

We might even think about developing some special gametype for this (so anybody can launch a server like that) CHL (for chillout) could be the name.

On nexrun (defrag) we have freestyle maps that are made for you to pratice moves on, these map would work great for a chill out server as they would give you some thing to do. If movement was in line with defrag.
It would be great if there was a hit count system that show hits you made but never bother the other players on the server show you would know you made a hit but they can carry on with what they are doing even if that is just chatting with there mates

(04-19-2010, 03:53 PM)unfa Wrote: So we need to contact whoever is managing this and ask if he want to turn that server into practise/chillout/casual one.

[-z-], who is easily reached via IRC.

(04-19-2010, 02:38 PM)Debugger Wrote:
Quote:maybe people can vote to turn it on and off?
hmm...nice idea. Do you think on a "mod" (you can turn on and off) ?

Weapons damage = 0 would be the easiest solution , but I think that you don't need this. Maybe you want to show something or i don't know.
-> Kick the trolls

Sounds like a 24/7 peace party - fun! Tongue
Maybe you could use the peace maps , they have zones we you are not allowed to frag and fun stuff. Good old times Big Grin
Enable cheats? Smile

(04-21-2010, 07:22 AM)Mirio Wrote: Weapons damage = 0 would be the easiest solution , but I think that you don't need this. Maybe you want to show something or i don't know.
Maybe instead of that just godmode for everyone?

(04-21-2010, 07:22 AM)Mirio Wrote: -> Kick the trolls
Would be nice to always have there someone (an admin?) who can easily kick the misbehaving players and take care of the rest. I don't think any admin would be pleased to be non-stop there, so maybe a bunch of trusted players who like the idea, plays there often and would have the possibility to easily kick or ban anyone who is spoiling the fun.
maybe some system of warning players from server. A guy gets an on-screen text:
"you are being watched - start behaving or you will be punished".

If a guy is still trolling around he gets his punishment. First 2 times: kick, third time: ban for 1 hr, then ban for 1 day, ban for 1 week etc...

I bet that would work great and protect the good idea behind the server.

(04-21-2010, 07:22 AM)Mirio Wrote: Sounds like a 24/7 peace party - fun! Tongue
Maybe you could use the peace maps , they have zones we you are not allowed to frag and fun stuff. Good old times Big Grin
Enable cheats? Smile
Peace zones - GREAT IDEA!
In the peace zone, shooting is disabled. You simply hide your weapon and can have a nice chat without being shot. Borders of the zone should protect the inside from projectiles.
Cheats - why not? If this won't spoil the game...

heh, peace maps...
They are quite nice, definately huge but the access to those special rooms and stuff is not as simple as it could be Smile
About chatting, I think creating those free-from-shooting zones is not necessary. You can just spectate to chat freely without any trouble. And idling and chatting on maps like basement could be disturbing and annoying for other players Tongue
About maps, I think there shouldn`t be any special training map on this server. Or, at least, not only. Such server should also (mostly?) contain standard maps, and the most popular customs. Just to learn those maps, locations of pickups, movement, ramps etc.

btw I`m wondering why there aren`t any public 1on1 servers in Europe (or maybe I don`t know about them). There are some, but hidden somewhere and you have to type some abra-cadabra in console to connect Tongue on DCC servers, while playing, you can learn from the server info, that the best method to become better player is to play 1on1. There are some minsta 1on1 publics and they`re quite popular. So maybe some public 1on1 server is also not bad idea?
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

As for mixing special maps with the common ones - good idea. Voting is the simple solution. Let's be sure that at least one training map is always in the map voting menu. So players can choose.

The spectrating - well I sometimes like to jump around and chat. When I want to -just- chat I go here Big Grin That is why I think that peace zones are a good thing. And/or the god mode.

(04-30-2010, 05:34 PM)unfa Wrote: Let's be sure that at least one trainng map is always in the map voting menu. So players can choose.

ok, I can accept that Smile

unfa Wrote:When I want to -just- chat I go here Big Grin

good point Tongue

unfa Wrote:And/or the god mode.
or kind of permanent warmup stage - 200 health, 200 armour and all weapons by deafult. Just to show that 5 rocket jumps in a row can kill you :>
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(05-01-2010, 04:18 AM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: good point Tongue
Thanks Smile
(05-01-2010, 04:18 AM)kuniu the frogg Wrote:
unfa Wrote:And/or the god mode.
or kind of permanent warmup stage - 200 health, 200 armour and all weapons by deafult. Just to show that 5 rocket jumps in a row can kill you :>
I think that any super abilities (like godmode) should be optional for every player. Practising sometimes needs to be under as real circumstances as possible. I mean - pactising on permanent godmode would not make anybody learn how the game really works, but it might be fun Tongue So I think (whatever it would be) it should be optional and disabled by default.

I found the dojo server. You need to type in the searchbox the name 'dojo'.

I was there and found the dojo map. it is accesed by vote: use
Code:
vcall thedojo
to reach it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Casual vanilla balance martin-t 59 37,557 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Beemann
  [SUGGESTION] ragdoll death animation request Droid 28 33,338 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Nahuel
  [SUGGESTION] request - active server list frostwyrm333 3 4,882 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Request: Can someone remake Darkzone CTF for Xonotic? Dokujisan 17 19,221 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Last Post: vede
  [SUGGESTION] Request: More PR Cortez666 22 19,148 06-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Last Post: FruitieX
  [SUGGESTION] a request about downloads theShadow 4 5,624 04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Last Post: master[mind]
  [SUGGESTION] Request for New Sub-Forums: Guides, Tutorials, and Resources -- Writer's Corner AllegedlyDead 2 4,112 03-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Last Post: norbert79