Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any players outside of europe and north america?

Hi I used to play in england till I moved to colombia. I just wondered if there were any players existed out side of north america and europe. I know chooksta plays in australia(I think) but aside from that I just want to find some servers with good ping for me.

Much obliged,

.DANNY.

We have tons of aussies.
We have japanese players: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2738
I also saw somebody from the middle east central asia in this forum.

EDIT: oops, I remembered the wrong country

wow the japs play xonotic too? cool!
konicha. watashi wa .DANNY. desu. arigato gozaimasu! hehe

(03-20-2012, 11:17 AM).Danny. Wrote: wow the japs play xonotic too? cool!

That statement would be considered racist because of the use of a derogatory term.
ಠ_ಠ

japs being short for japanese racist? thought it was like brit being short for british.

Don't start accusing people of racism just because they use abbreviations: Brits, Poles, Japs, etc. Angel

Pole is synonymous to Polish, Brit is colloquial for British, and what was used in the post above is an ethnic slur. Just because it doesn't sound like a slur to you, doesn't mean it's not pejorative.

EDIT: Brit is apparently also considered offensive to some British people, when coming from American people.

EDIT2: I suggest the people up there remove the slur from their post. I'm not going to censor this personally for now, unless asked.

(03-20-2012, 11:43 AM).Danny. Wrote: japs being short for japanese racist? thought it was like brit being short for british.
I'm British and dislike being called a brit.

Well - it's short term for Britney Spears.
And who wants to get called like that?

;-P

Back to Topic:
As mentioned above, TONS of Australian folks Wink and the Japanese guys had their own Cup [Link above].
I've also seen Kiwis (New Zealand folks), one or two Mexicans iirc, a guy from Venezuela, Estonia ... ...
and on
and on
and on

so yes, not only EU and NA folks are playing.
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

Also Africa (not only Egypt or Israel), I even saw people from South Africa (not the country, the area)!

IMHO that is an chicken <-> egg problem, isn't it?

No servers anywhere near Colombia, no (online) players. Probably your best bet is to rent a server and wait for the people to come.

(03-21-2012, 01:52 PM)poVoq Wrote: IMHO that is an chicken <-> egg problem, isn't it?

No servers anywhere near Colombia, no (online) players. Probably your best bet is to rent a server and wait for the people to come.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

So not even if I have a good internet connection can I play on servers in the US then?

BTW I`m british and I`m not offended by being called a brit. Also I found out that "jap" was a term coined by americans post pearl harbour and simply used as an abreviation of japanese.
However if there are some japanese players on the forum who are offended by this term and not westerners who think that the name is offensive then by all means I`ll delete the post.

In the UK, before I left, we weren`t allowed to say blackboard in college because of the possible offense it could cause. Strangely this decision was made by the principal who was white.

Today I encountered someone on the DCC's Plain Delight with a ping > 300 who claimed to be from Indonesia.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(03-23-2012, 09:16 AM).Danny. Wrote: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

So not even if I have a good internet connection can I play on servers in the US then?

Why nooooo? I think that was a logical suggestion. Maybe you can make friends with some computer-science students from Bogota or such and convince them to set up a server on an University connection Wink That way you might get players too.

Oh and about US servers... the electrons/photons in the cables can travel only at lightspeed... that is the physical limit (besides latencies in connecting stations).
If it is a server in Texas or such and there arn't too many hops, it might be playable though.
Why not make a "tracert" call to some US websites from Texas and check the latency and the number of connecting stations that way? My guess is that on a good connection with a reasonable number of steps, a ping around 100-150 might be possible.

(03-23-2012, 09:16 AM).Danny. Wrote: BTW I`m british and I`m not offended by being called a brit. Also I found out that "jap" was a term coined by americans post pearl harbour and simply used as an abreviation of japanese.
However if there are some japanese players on the forum who are offended by this term and not westerners who think that the name is offensive then by all means I`ll delete the post.

In the UK, before I left, we weren`t allowed to say blackboard in college because of the possible offense it could cause. Strangely this decision was made by the principal who was white.

That's just silly, "blackboard" used as an ethnic slur is simply never heard of... contrary to jap, which is definitely pejorative, no matter how you interpret it or how much you care about being called a brit (!).

Also, nitpicking there, but... poVoq: the electrons don't travel at light speed. In cabling, it's of the order of millimeters per second or less.

And now I'm completely offtopic.

Heh... sure. However the power and signal transmitted as a "wave" travels near lightspeed AFAIK.

Oh, I was wrong about Texas btw.
According to this map of data-links:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/E...oom;zoom=1
your best bet are servers in Florida.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any south american players around? darkfire 3 3,156 09-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Muleke_Trairao
  So...Does Xonotic have any lore? liquidjerome 11 8,005 07-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Last Post: aa
  The lack of duel players Ch4mp 18 11,997 07-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Iokast