Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simple items

I say do it, let us see it, and I suppose if nobody comes up with better ones, it'll get in master in no time Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I like what you posted so far K__, I think you are on the right track, the idea of keeping it as simple as possible but still easy to recognize is spot on. Rafallus's idea is probably good for health ones(your 25hp becoming 50hp, shard becoming 25hp) and I'd say both armor and health shards could be the same icon, maybe a red and a green + ?

Your 25a could be for 50a, no idea what 25a should be tho.

Here's what I've made so far.

[Image: preview.jpg]

I made them with gimp, here's the gimp files if you want to modify them:

http://ompldr.org/vZTg0OA/simple_icons.zip

Time to do some guns Big Grin

(06-10-2012, 06:54 AM)K__ Wrote: BTW the ammo you made is really good, might only change the explosive ammo one. If you guys agree, the ammo can be squares, health round, armor triangle'ish, weapons little more detail :-) what do you guys says?

About my ammo icons, hmm problem is I didn't keep the source, except explosives one, haha. Only have the 256x256 ones Sad Oh well, they would be easy to redo, but I think for an "official" set of simpleitems it would work better if all icons had the same style (ie: made from same person), maybe you can take some ideas from them and do it in your style? Assuming you have time for that, otherwise I can redo them if you prefer, it's no trouble.

(06-10-2012, 08:16 AM)nifrek Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 06:54 AM)K__ Wrote: BTW the ammo you made is really good, might only change the explosive ammo one. If you guys agree, the ammo can be squares, health round, armor triangle'ish, weapons little more detail :-) what do you guys says?

About my ammo icons, hmm problem is I didn't keep the source, except explosives one, haha. Only have the 256x256 ones Sad Oh well, they would be easy to redo, but I think for an "official" set of simpleitems it would work better if all icons had the same style (ie: made from same person), maybe you can take some ideas from them and do it in your style? Assuming you have time for that, otherwise I can redo them if you prefer, it's no trouble.

No problem, i dont mean we are supposed to take the exactly them, but I can remake them more in the style that I've made the other items.

Also, any ideas for the nex item? I'm currently making that one but it's almost an exact copy of the QL rail :/...

You might want to do these in svg format (using inkscape for example). That way it's much easier to modify and rescale cleanly.

Also, the 25, 50 and mega armors aren't symmetric. It's easier to make things symmetric in vector formats.

EDIT: And the 50 health's cross's vertical bar isn't centered Tongue

Well, I actually thought on that too unfourtnaly I suck at InkScape, but if you got the skills when you maybe can make them? Smile

Maybe I have the skills, but not the time :<

Make them in gimp then, and somebody (perhaps I) can vector them later. Smile

EDIT: But definitely make them high-res, so that they can be rescaled without too much interpolation weirdness that comes with small scalings.

Could you use a bit brighter/more vibrant shades of colors, particularily for armor? I'd expect them to be somewhat more eye-catching in field then.

@Mr. Bougo

The source files are in 1024x1024 :-)

@rafallus
Sure, no problem. Have done 3 weapons, nex, mortar, electro. When I've done some more I will show them Big Grin

[Image: cell.jpg]

That last one is hard to see, I needed to zoom to take this screenshot

[Image: wMvlJ.jpg]
(sorry :P)

(06-10-2012, 01:58 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Sorry, but simple items for shards only makes absolutely no sense at all. It's just an ugly hack to work around the bad visibility of specific models. That feature would mean nothing if all items were remade to be equally visible.

Why not work on the actual problem with models instead?

I agree, it is a work around. I just figured that it was more likely to happen than all the shards and ammo being redesigned. Obviously, if someone wants to remodel the pickups to a more visible option, I'm ok with that solution, but I don't know if that's something i can realistically expect to happen.

Besides, if I want to use an ugly hack work around because I don't mind and it works for me, what's the problem? I was only asking for the option. I'm sure plenty of people play with settings that I would call hideous, it's their choice.

I'm calling it an ugly hack not because it makes the game look ugly, but because it clutters the source code with fringe cases that have nothing to do there.

(06-10-2012, 01:10 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm calling it an ugly hack not because it makes the game look ugly, but because it clutters the source code with fringe cases that have nothing to do there.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clarifying that. Undecided

Vectorized the health and armor: http://ompldr.org/vZThkYQ

Yay for collaborations Tongue

(06-10-2012, 01:41 PM)freefang Wrote: [Image: vZThkYQ]
Does anyone else not like the art style and colors used here? I actually think the existing simple items work great, they just need the weapon icons.

The existing simple items have no style at all, those do. And colors are easy to change, but have to be tried in game first. I will try to test them tomorrow and post screenshots.

I can finish the whole set to sunday, probably earlier :-) !

[Image: preview_2.jpg]

It's rounding up to look sweet.

~irrelevant as of current autobuild~

As for armor color, try 00D000.

And maybe I would switch colors of RL and mortar. And make nex one colored - in that bright blue color. That would leave dark blue for crylink and purple for electro. But taking into account color of actual shots, it would probably make more sense:

nex - dark blue
electro - light blue
crylink - purple

(06-11-2012, 08:13 AM)rafallus Wrote: It's rounding up to look sweet.

Actually, a little change of ideas, I made those pre-sketches before certain change in autobuild was made - mortar now shoots ball bombs (those round ones with fuses) rather than grenades. So maybe it would be more fitting, provided that change is meant to be permanent.

BTW got a nice laugh when first saw it.

As for armor color, try 00D000.

And maybe I would switch colors of RL and mortar. And make nex one colored - in that bright blue color. That would leave dark blue for crylink and purple for electro. But taking into account color of actual shots, it would probably make more sense:

nex - dark blue
electro - light blue
crylink - purple

No problem, I will do that :-)! But I don't understand that with the mortar, have they changed it's shots? I think the grenade more represents the mortar, but I can still make one as you says.

Scratch that, double checked, shots are back to normal now. Grenade is fine.

I think the RL/Mortar colors somewhat make sense, at least to me, the rocket has a orangey trail and mortar and a (tiny) red light on it.

I think nex/electro/crylink colors are fine too as they fit their projectile/trail colors, but I agree Nex should only have one color, lightblue/cyan one IMO. I guess that was that the reasoning for whoever chose the perweapon crosshair colors, it does seem quite consistent in that sense.

As for the actual icons, crylink seems fine to me, easily identifiable. Mortar looks good, but almost identical to grenadelauncher in quake, I wonder if we could come up with something unique? But I can't say I can think of anything else atm Sad

Nex icon looks good, but I have a feeling it wouldn't look as good in game, can you post a larger version so I can do some tests?

Oh, I had this idea for mortar, based on the actual mortar projectile model. I think dismissed it because it looked like.. a battery or something. But anyway, in case it gives you some ideas.

[Image: mortartest.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random items & loot Lyberta 3 4,268 10-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  simple Xonotic starter app Freddy 13 10,358 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Pendulla