Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simple items

I know ^^ working on it now, gonna remake the Health & the armor also gonna fix the size of the weapons Smile

Too small IMO. Nevermind, touched on that subject.

BTW isn't crylink icon in place of electro on a first shot?

(06-19-2012, 06:08 PM)K__ Wrote: [Image: preview.jpg]

Here is my contribution for simple items, this is only the major items gonna make the wierd guns to soon...

Anyway hope you like it, otherwise don't use it Smile

*Download*
----simpleitems----

For those who don't know:

Use the latest autobuild then put these into Xonotic's data pk3, it is found in /data in Xonotic's root directory. Just drag them into /models/items for the items and /models/weapons for the weapons icons. Then you have to remove the respective .dds files which are located in /dds in the data pk3.

When you've done that just launch Xonotic and open the console and type "cl_simple_items 1" and then start a single player match, I don't think they work in online matches yet.

Thanks

PS:

For those who have seen my earlier items, all these items I have remade and/or modified:
health 1
health 25
health 50
health 100
armor 5
armor 25
armor 50
armor 100
bullet ammo

I've also resized all items so they're now bigger!

Also, please try them in game before flaming me Smile

And thanks tZork for coding this Big Grin

WHY THE HELL IT AINT IN THE BLOG SECTION!?

Blog section? :S

Don't quote entire huge posts! It's not in the "blog section" because it's not even a day old and so far it hasn't been pushed to git. Be patient already!

Also, I guess you mean just blog, i.e. the front page news and the news section.

Maybe it would be good idea to wait for entire set to be completed before pushing it on blog etc.

(06-20-2012, 06:33 AM)Justin Wrote:
WHY THE HELL IT AINT IN THE BLOG SECTION!?

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3113

because people have a life they are busy with stuff and when they have some spare time they have a lot to catch up with.
Demanding stuff is not useful, you could write a summary about it and send it to C.Brutai/CuBe0wL. He'll defiantly appreciate it.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(06-20-2012, 07:18 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: because people have a life they are busy with stuff and when they have some spare time they have a lot to catch up with.
Demanding stuff is not useful, you could write a summary about it and send it to C.Brutai/CuBe0wL. He'll defiantly appreciate it.

Heh...
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

looks awkward. especially the crylink and the health shard
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(06-20-2012, 10:59 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: looks awkward. especially the crylink and the health shard

Sad

I didn't realize for so long I had crylink and electro icon mixed up. 3 balls do remind me of electro secondary, and bounce represented by current crylink icon is IMO more of a crylink thing than electro thing.

And I do agree on health shard looking odd, maybe smallish, almost square-like cross would be better.

But still, I'd rather see non-standard parts first, so we can say "simple items are there" and just tweak visuals later.

I really like:
The shotgun, the RL, the Nex, shells and rockets pickup. I'm not fan of the cells though.

The blue elliptical blobs, well, I wouldn't tell from first blink that's supposed to be the crylink.
Same for the electro, I'd rather say THAT is the crylink, from the bounce.

Armor is okish, but the shards look too similar to the helmet.
Biggest problem are the healths: The mega gets is ring only when you're near. I suppose making that ring fatter would solve the problem.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I don't have much more time working on these icons, I hope I where some help at least. I am currently working on a map, but I don't know NetRadiant yet so I'm working on textures, props and sketches.

Good luck, looking forward for simple items in-game Big Grin

Good, but I think the weapon icons rafallus did looked better and were much more easily identifiable. Armor and health look alright though.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Here goes nothing, my tweaks:

-HP shard redone
-Swapped crylink icon for former electro icon + color swap
-New electro icon (much like the one I originally proposed)
-changed armor shard too, it seemed too similar to 25AP to me.

Attached Files
.zip   models_tweak.zip (Size: 86.18 KB / Downloads: 16)

(03-23-2012, 09:32 AM)cyan Wrote: * All armors should have the same geometric shape, value should be displayed using different colors.

That was the reason I made all armor items triangle'ish, anyway I like the tweaked ones you made but I would rather change the 25 shard instead if not you guys liked it. I also don't see how the electro item is connected to the electro exept the colors?

But to be honost, this works fine for master to me :-)

Most games I've seen tend to make a distinction for hp/armor shard for some reason, maybe because they're disproportionally small vs other health/armor pickups. But I do think players tend to get used to it, if not, we can restore old shard.

As for electro, concept is simple and IMO directly related to how you use it:
-ball in the middle - secondary
-"Wave" in top left corner - primary
-Big outer circle - combo when you hit one with the other

And I'll make white circle on 100HP larger.

Okey great :-)

Here is the megas GIMP source file:

http://ompldr.org/vZWYwNA/health_mega.zip

Cool guys, I will add the last update from K__ and rafallus to git soon, or should I wait a bit? I guess I will check back in a couple days.

Ideally we will need source for every items, that is always best in case somebody wants to do updates and whatnot even after it is merged (we have mediasource on git for such things, it's always handy).

Btw it's probably good to have a couple people both working/sharing ideas like this. It's obvious everybody has different tastes and ideas about simpleitems which is complicated considering how many items Xonotic has... All this back-and-forth tweaking on a couple icons to try and please every person making a suggestion, not that it isn't productive, but it's probably a bit overwhelming for a single person doing all the tweaks. I can imagine K__ can't spend all his free time changing colors, modifying shape of icons or even starting from scratch over and over Wink

Ideally it would be great to have a complete set even if not perfect just so the feature can be called "useable", it's even fine if some of them don't have a color yet. Of course the "core" items/weapons are more important, but having an overall view of what all items might look like in game I think will help and there will be plenty of time for tweaks until a new release. Right now it's still my ugly placeholders that are in master, plus missing a lot of items. Maybe it'll also catch other artists attention once a few servers allow simpleitems and could submit their own sets. Then we can bother a coder about coding support for multiple simpleitems sets, which would make it easy to switch/choose simpleitems to your taste Smile

I will be gone for 5-7 days or so hope you guys can finish the set until I come back :-)

If not I'll probably reamake most of my items and see what you guys think cause we really need the simple item feature Wink

If so, then I can carry it further, hopefully by that time entire set will be done, though I could really use some help.

I will only have my phone with me, no PC,but if I got internet connection I can try to give feedback :-)

In the meantime tweaked mega health. Comparison on a black background (there was gradient inside but white borders in former one had gaps, so black filed inside too. Did the same for one on the right for clearer comparison of borders). Shall I give the new one small gaps too?

Quote:Cool guys, I will add the last update from K__ and rafallus to git soon, or should I wait a bit?

Hmmm, I guess core set can be pushed now and then rest be filled as update, alongside with feedback changes for the standard set.

Attached Files
.png   mega_change.png (Size: 14.44 KB / Downloads: 312)

IMO maybe doing the border slightly smaller, either way can you also put a little space between the circles border and the cross as the original one? :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random items & loot Lyberta 3 4,268 10-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  simple Xonotic starter app Freddy 13 10,358 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Pendulla