Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simple items

(06-11-2012, 10:03 AM)nifrek Wrote: Oh, I had this idea for mortar, based on the actual mortar projectile model. I think dismissed it because it looked like.. a battery or something. But anyway, in case it gives you some ideas.

[Image: mortartest.jpg]

Damn, that's pretty amazing! =o Gonna try making a replica little bit more in the style I've made the rest Smile

[Image: preview.jpg]

rocknroll237, the one of the left is for rocket, on the right is for mortar Wink

Looks nice to me! If I were to nitpick, I'd say there is a slight clash of style, one has smooth and rounded/curved edges while the other is all straight lines, but I don't know if it'd consider it an issue. Let's see what others think.

(06-11-2012, 10:58 AM)nifrek Wrote: rocknroll237, the one of the left is for rocket, on the right is for mortar Wink

Looks nice to me! If I were to nitpick, I'd say there is a slight clash of style, one has smooth and rounded/curved edges while the other is all straight lines, but I don't know if it'd consider it an issue. Let's see what others think.

Okey, well, are I supposed to make the mortar smoother, or change the RL and Hagar to be more edge'y?

Hmm looking at your other items so far, I'd say making RL/Hagar more edge'y? For example, the mortar one definitely fits the style of your armors.

Okey, gonna do that tomorow, time to watch Ukrain vs Sweden soon :-)

Cool, and good work sir, thanks for doing this!

With less stripes, mortar round does look better.

Quote:or change the RL and Hagar to be more edge'y?

RL/hagar edgy, but mostly fins. Head of rockets IMO should be left rounded.

(06-11-2012, 11:27 AM)nifrek Wrote: Cool, and good work sir, thanks for doing this!

NP :-), im just glad to help

Ukraine won :/, they played freaking unfair too...

.jpg   preview.jpg (Size: 86.05 KB / Downloads: 280)

Thanks for the feedback, gonna post my the last items tomorow, then polish them, and then it's hopefully done :-)! I think we can finish all items to Friday Big Grin

I agree with the added stripes on rocket fins, but might not be necessary on hagar ones, very small details like that will probably be too blurry ingame, might give bad aliasing. Same for labels on shotgun, IMO.

Agreed on armor color, seems good.

I will not make the labels, either the strips, but I'll place the strips on the front of the hagar shots, you guys will understand tomorow when I'm showing them Tongue

Forgot to add: mortar does show artifacts due to jpg usage. If you want them gone, try sth lossless like png.

@rafallus

Sure, not sure about the Hagar thought, I can make them a little bit bigger and then add a little bigger stip to them?

Good news: After I've remade the MG and the Hagar we are done with all major items, then I gonna start on the less used ones, like the Mine Layer, and that Laser Sprayer gun etc. :-)

Quote:I can make them a little bit bigger and then add a little bigger stip to them?

Why not? Spreading them a bit further away may be necessary for less clutter then. But let's see.

Good news indeed, the faster we get it done, the better. Checklist to keep track:

Health:
-shard
-+25
-+50
-Mega

Armor:
-shard
-+25
-+50
-Mega

Weapons:
-laser
-shotgun
-mg
-mortar
-electro
-crylink
-nex
-hagar
-rl

-mine layer
-hlac
-rifle
-tag seeker
-tuba
-fireball
-minstanex
-hook
-port-o-launch

Ammo:
-shells
-bullets
-rockets
-cells
-fuel (for jetpack)

Power-ups:
-strength
-defense
-jet pack
-fuel regeneration

Did I miss sth?

Oh, there's a lot more work to do, but here is an overview what's done so far :-)

[Image: preview.png]

Looks good overall.

Shells and bullets seem similar to each other, both in color and general shape (might be rendered irrelevant by new spawn weapon I guess)

I've improved mg a bit, seemed uneven to me (unless it was meant to be a rough sketch).

.png   mg.png (Size: 6.11 KB / Downloads: 194)

Let's see what will happen to hagar then.

(06-13-2012, 10:06 AM)rafallus Wrote: Looks good overall.

Shells and bullets seem similar to each other, both in color and general shape (might be rendered irrelevant by new spawn weapon I guess)

I've improved mg a bit, seemed uneven to me (unless it was meant to be a rough sketch).

Let's see what will happen to hagar then.

The MG was just a quick sketch, didnt relize how ugly it were xD, anyway I got some other stuff to do, so I maybe can do it later to day Smile

Rocket, mortar, mg, shotgun, and electro are fine. Everything else either doesn't appear as if it will scale well, or just plain needs to be redesigned. The armor/health designs in particular are complete eyesores to me. Hagar and Crylink consist of small icons to barely fill the space. They're small already, and as is, they will likely be difficult to spot easily. Try to fill up the space with a single definitive design, even if multiple does say "rapid fire" well. The nex icon, plain and simple, won't show up well. It may as well just be a blue line, because the particles around it will be too hard to see. MG ammo looks too similar to shotgun. Shotgun ammo should probably have something that sets it apart from the weapon itself other than a 1 pixel border. Rocket ammo is fine. I'm not in love with energy filler icon, but it works.

If I have time I'll draw up some concepts for armor/health, but I'm already working on a project for another game, so we'll see.

P.S. I hope you guys aren't drawing these up as a raster images.
[Image: optsig.png]

(06-13-2012, 10:18 AM)Chryyz Wrote: Rocket, mortar, mg, shotgun, and electro are fine. Everything else either doesn't appear as if it will scale well, or just plain needs to be redesigned. The armor/health designs in particular are complete eyesores to me. Hagar and Crylink consist of small icons to barely fill the space. They're small already, and as is, they will likely be difficult to spot easily. Try to fill up the space with a single definitive design, even if multiple does say "rapid fire" well. The nex icon, plain and simple, won't show up well. It may as well just be a blue line, because the particles around it will be too hard to see. MG ammo looks too similar to shotgun. Shotgun ammo should probably have something that sets it apart from the weapon itself other than a 1 pixel border. Rocket ammo is fine. I'm not in love with energy filler icon, but it works.

If I have time I'll draw up some concepts for armor/health, but I'm already working on a project for another game, so we'll see.

P.S. I hope you guys aren't drawing these up as a raster images.

Well, the Health and Armor was the core in my design, well, if you can draw you can take over if you want, I've relized I'm not really good at this. Here is all source files(gimp project files) all are in 1024x1024:

simple_items.zip

I will finish the whole set and still update until it's decided if you gonna take over, I personally dont want too many people working on the items them self, suggestion and ideas are good though, just as the development of my set have been. If one person make the whole set after suggestion & ideas is probably the best so all items looks like nice together.

Good luck!

IMO K__ should finish his set, in any case like I said it would be nice to have a few different sets anyway. At the moment it's only possible to have one "official" included set (and it should be a complete set with every items), but in the long run it might be easy to have more than one using skin files. Until then I don't think it would be wrong to share pk3's with different sets, I see this as the same as customizing your own HUD.

So basically, for now we need first a complete set that has a clear style (which K__'s set does well) to replace the placeholders asap. If somebody creates a better one later, then we can vote on which one should be official. There is no hurry since I don't think next release is any time soon.

Most importantly we need to decide on a "standard" for item colors that ideally other sets would follow (not obligation, but at least close to those colors) so it's not too confusing when switching between them. So colors is definitely what needs to be discussed the most.

So far I think the colors are good, except the shotgun and machinegun ammo being gray. Different grays, but unless seeing them side by side I think it will be hard to know which is which from a distance. With different colors, the similar icons won't be much of a problem.

(06-14-2012, 03:32 AM)nifrek Wrote: So far I think the colors are good, except the shotgun and machinegun ammo being gray. Different grays, but unless seeing them side by side I think it will be hard to know which is which from a distance. With different colors, the similar icons won't be much of a problem.

Any colors you suggest or am I supposed to use the reference you posted before?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random items & loot Lyberta 3 4,268 10-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  simple Xonotic starter app Freddy 13 10,358 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Pendulla