Xonotic is a free, open source (GPL) ultra-fast, first-person shooter

Follow Xonotic on

about lighting
04-21-2012, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2012 09:52 PM by hutty.)
about lighting
a couple things
1 -- I discovered rlights a few days ago ... and I am very fond of chronas ... is there any way to either add a chrona without a rlight ... or make an rlight with no light but big chrona?

2 -- Can I shine a regular light through a colored glass texture and get a colored shadow?

edit ...

3 -- not really lighting based but ... if I'm making a plant with a lot of leaves ... is it better to make polygon leaves? or transparent image leaves

Samual can can control the powers of the xonotic's source ... but can he see why kids like cinnamon toast crunch?
[PS] Paradox Space ... (no notable maps yet) ... :3
descent + :3 = utter purfection
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2012, 11:08 PM
RE: about lighting
Best way to find out the answers is to try it. But I believe you can cast colored shadows through colored glass using RTlights... there was a map in a church setting that demonstrated this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
04-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Maybe a shader sprite?

[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]
04-22-2012, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2012 05:05 AM by Maddin.)
1. Don´t know. You could make a rlight with a really small light value and add a corona to it. Try it out!

2. Yes. I don´t exactly know how this works but it is possible. Search for "coloured alpha shadowing" or something like that.
[Image: 220729882_9a77fbf986_o.jpg]

3. Definitely transparent image leaves! Saves a lot of triangles and hasn´t such a huge impact on performance.

XonStats profile | Winner of Beginner´s Cup || Q3Map2Wizard || Heavy Metal | Bio Lab | Bloodball | Sunset | Warfare || Cleax - texture set
04-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Fun!

[Image:http://i.imgur.com/4XODR.png]640K ought to be enough for anybody.
     ― Linux Torvalds
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Wow, I am so ignorant about mapping!
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2012 04:39 PM by tZork.)
#2 is done with http://q3map2.everyonelookbusy.net/shade...lphashadow iirc
tough lightmaps being rather low res usually, you may get better results from faking it with a blendfunc add decal.
04-22-2012, 07:49 PM
ok ... thanks ...

about leaves ... assuming I have the same number of leaves regardless of which method I use .... wouldn't having many transparent leaves slow down the system more? (like staring through several layers of glass)

Samual can can control the powers of the xonotic's source ... but can he see why kids like cinnamon toast crunch?
[PS] Paradox Space ... (no notable maps yet) ... :3
descent + :3 = utter purfection
04-23-2012, 01:38 AM
(04-22-2012 04:39 PM)tZork Wrote:  #2 is done with http://q3map2.everyonelookbusy.net/shade...lphashadow iirc
tough lightmaps being rather low res usually, you may get better results from faking it with a blendfunc add decal.

Aah, okay. I thought he was still talking about rtlights in 2.

[Image:http://i.imgur.com/4XODR.png]640K ought to be enough for anybody.
     ― Linux Torvalds
04-23-2012, 07:20 AM
(04-22-2012 07:49 PM)hutty Wrote:  about leaves ... assuming I have the same number of leaves regardless of which method I use .... wouldn't having many transparent leaves slow down the system more? (like staring through several layers of glass)
No, as far as I can remember transparent areas in a texture don´t have any significant affect on the performance whereas a different number of polygons have.

XonStats profile | Winner of Beginner´s Cup || Q3Map2Wizard || Heavy Metal | Bio Lab | Bloodball | Sunset | Warfare || Cleax - texture set

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [PSA] Lighting is NOT spelled "lightNing" Mr. Bougo 14 1,916 12-28-2012 02:30 AM
Last Post: aa
  How to make dynamic lighting Cuinnton 4 1,670 07-21-2010 08:43 AM
Last Post: Cuinnton