Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Help for your project architecture

Hi dear Xonotic team,

I've recently decided to contribute on Xonotic project.
I'd like to create new maps, new weapons, new code modules but here is the thing :

I completely don't understand your project architecture, I mean :

What d0_blind_id means ?
What fteqcc means ?
etc ...

I used to work with more common and understandable files and directories names as such as :

src or source
mode/multiplayer or mode/singleplayer
gui or ui for user interface.

Can you please give me a real big help to let me know how to modify each part of the source code, I don't manage to find on the internet or the forum.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Here's a partial hierarchy:
  • darkplaces: engine code, it's a standalone so it's in its own directory
  • d0_blind_id: player authentication libraries (for the stats system for example), also standalone
  • fteqcc: QuakeC compiler -- the game logic is written in QuakeC and compiled into .dat files which are loaded by the darkplaces engine, also standalone
  • data: contains the game itself:
    • maps: .bsp for compiled maps, .map for sources. Also contains mapinfo files (map metadata), shaders and other map-specific assets
    • models: players, weapons, items, etc. Their sources can be found in the mediasource git repository, and perhaps in the release package too (I'm not sure of that)
    • qcsrc: the game logic:
      • menu: menu code
      • server: serverside code (items, triggers, physics, weapon logic... most of the game logic is serverside)
      • client: clientside code (also known as CSQC): HUD, effects, some console messages... Things that can be done safely on the client's side to avoid using too much bandwidth and CPU on the server
      • common: common functions shared by the three sections above
      • dpdefs: definition of engine interface functions
      • the rest of it: you probably won't have to touch that. You probably won't have to touch dpdefs either.

If you got the sources from the git repository, everything in "data" is split into .pk3dir subrepositories.

EDIT: also, here's the dev wiki: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki . You'll find an introduction to QuakeC in there: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/..._to_QuakeC .
EDIT2: we also have a dev irc channel, #xonotic on irc.freenode.net

There are easy 3 steps, here you go sir:

[Image: gnomes.jpg]
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

Thanks a lot,

Hope to have fun developing on xonotic project,

good day/night

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Cannot follow "Capturing Your Favorite Xonotic Moments" dtomvan 1 1,073 10-09-2022, 03:57 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] I REPEAT I need Help with Netradiant Taplio 4 3,231 09-23-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: fabzor3
  Newb seeks help on Oilrig Pallama 7 4,794 10-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Last Post: illwieckz
  [NEEDS INFO] Need help with xonotic on andoird Arctic_fly71 3 3,237 01-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Arctic_fly71
  [NEED HELP] Help cant play IdekehBruh 1 2,045 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Mario
Information [META] Thread Prefixes for Help & Troubleshooting -z- 0 3,945 03-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Last Post: -z-
Sad [NEED HELP] Help with compiling. ImSoAwesome 2 3,009 09-06-2016, 02:54 AM
Last Post: ImSoAwesome
  [NEED HELP] Mapping help shanajer_ 1 2,799 08-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SOLVED] Please help: -sessionid and an unique session name error anish01 2 5,322 05-10-2014, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Help!! Ciro 5 4,256 05-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: tZork