Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Menu Navigation with Joy-pads instead mouse

Hi all,

I have another issue and I hope you could help me.

In Xonotic, you can only navigate with the mouse in the differents menu.

But I need to play with Joy-pad and I don't know what to do to modify the behavior of menu navigation.

Could you give me a piece of advice, help ?

Thanks a lot,
--
Julien

I don't know if that's possible... Sad

Do many people even use a joystick or joypad for FPS? I don't think it's a well explored area of the game which might explain why it doesn't work. It would need engine code changes you would think as joystick is handled seperately from mouse, as always has been the case in Quake.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

A pretty straightforward fix would be to make the stick move the mouse cursor.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Thanks you for all yoru answer,

Unfortunately, it's exactly what I thought.

I am going to try to move the cursor as Cyber Killer said or maybe by using the focus of the differents widgets.

I have noticed that when you place the mouse cursor on a widget (button for example), you can fire the Enter Button to activate it as a left click does. So if I find how to move the focus, it's maybe possible.

Bye all.
--
Julien

taking away a mouse from an FPS game is like saying the world is flat: you can`t. you big silly sausage!

(05-29-2012, 09:34 AM).Danny. Wrote: taking away a mouse from an FPS game is like saying the world is flat: you can`t. you big silly sausage!

This, while true, is not always the case. Some ppl prefer to play fps'es on a gamepad (usually ppl coming from consoles), and while they might not get too good results, they shouldn't be forbidden to try to play the game in a way they like it. There's no point in being offensive like that ;-P.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(05-29-2012, 09:45 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 09:34 AM).Danny. Wrote: taking away a mouse from an FPS game is like saying the world is flat: you can`t. you big silly sausage!

This, while true, is not always the case. Some ppl prefer to play fps'es on a gamepad (usually ppl coming from consoles), and while they might not get too good results, they shouldn't be forbidden to try to play the game in a way they like it. There's no point in being offensive like that ;-P.

okay okay its liking saying to a mouse okay you ARE the big cheese but sometimes people like to bite the biscuit without a bit of cheddar on top.capeche!!

I don't want to create the third world war with this very conflicted subject in FPS commaunity so I explain myselft on what about I need to play with joypad.

It's JUST because I create a game on my OWN console which don't use a MOUSE to play, in fact, I only have a Joypad., so you undertsand now ? Smile

But to be part of the real topic, I am an FPS console gamer and when I play with friends on my computer, I use the Xbox joypad and I get very good score as good as mouse users.
Nevertheless, I completely understand why Danny is so upset with the idea to play a FPS without Mouse so we are good Smile.

Bye all !

To go on with my question,

Does someone know where I can found in the source code the place where the joy pad is activated for the first time ?

Because, I can use it ingame but in the menu and althought my attempts, the joy pad is not recognize when I push buttons in the menu.

If anybody doesn't, doesn't matter, I'll try to figure it out by my self.

Thanks
--
Julien

The menu input works differently from the movement input. It seems the joystick movement is done in void VID_ApplyJoyState(vid_joystate_t *joystate) in vid_shared.c. It does not emulate mouse movements as you can see, so there is no easy one-line way to have it work in the menu.

Okay thanks but at least, it's a good start.

I will try to manage that, I will tell the answer If I find the solution.

Bye
--
Julien

Hi all,

Just for one whom be interested in, I have realized that when your Joypad is linked before to turn off the computer, i's automatically recognized and I can move the mouse cursor directly with Joy pad (It's the case for mine by the way).

So I didn't need to change source code in navigation menu.

Hope it can help someone.
--
Julien

Hi All,

I have recently post a topic about the navigation menu and the use of joypad.

I have noticed that when the joypad is linked to the computer before to turn on it, the joypad controls the mouse.

But here the thing, in game, my joypad should control only the character and not to be consider as mouse.

SO here is my question, how and where I can disconnect the mouse when I am in game (So I could use only my joypad).

Thanks a lot.
--
Julien

It's probably your OS emulating a mouse. Can you move the cursor outside of xonotic?

I know my joypad moves my cursor in linux.

EDIT: I merged your topic into this one, better keep it all in one place.

Yes, it's exactly what it's going on, I can move the cursor on Linux if the joypad is connected before to turn on the machine.
--
Julien

That's not a proper solution to your problem then. If you want to do it that way you have to completely discard all mouse events.

Why not set the prydon cursor based on joystick input while in the menu, just like it's done for the mouse?

EDIT: You'll be in trouble when it comes to selecting servers, it's going to be hard to aim. The menu is not suited for keyboard navigation either, so either way it will be hard to make this useable.

I have to admit that I have still a lot of problem to undesrtand the code well so when I found a solution, proper or not, I take the opportunity.

But if you can help me by telling me where and how modify the source code to erase mouse event and put joyspad event instead, I take it with all my gratitude Smile

Thanks
--
Julien

Look in cl_input.c. There's a section of code in void CL_Input that changes cl.cmd.cursor_screen, I believe that's what updates the cursor position in the menu. Get rid of that, OR (much better) have the joystick update it (in vid_shared.c?) and disable OS joystick mouse emulation with xinput/udev.

I'm not an engine developer so I'm just taking guesses.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] Dropping mouse input FPS Null 1 558 04-29-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: bones_was_here
  [NEED HELP] My mouse binds do not work in GLX? FAF 5 1,574 07-29-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [NEED HELP] Menu Won't Load, Game Crashes EdwardHamHam 1 2,928 07-21-2022, 01:44 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Menu freezes when typing server address, old bug? MeLikeyTacos 2 1,558 10-21-2021, 09:59 PM
Last Post: MeLikeyTacos
  USB Mouse input on Linux dagelf 1 2,269 10-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] Menu fails to load after recent update Bloodthorn 2 2,727 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [NEED HELP] Menu freezes falco 2 2,618 11-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Last Post: falco
  [SOLVED] Random failures to register mouse input Halogene 2 2,683 06-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  [NEEDS INFO] Menu mouse cursor stuck in invisible box nAnXiety 1 3,122 09-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [NEEDS INFO] mouse lag mumin 3 3,460 03-17-2016, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Maddin