Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows XP

I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Do Vista!

i use xp and i gotta say....

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

linux.

(xp has never crashed for chooky)

THIS IS A FLAME NERD POST THINGO AND I MUST PROTEST

HATE CRIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i actually dont give a t )

(but i will)

t

:^

xp sucks - it crashes on a daily basis for me, even though I barely use it + the usability is completely broken in there - I can't do normal things that I always do like alt+click a window to move or resize it, there's no virtual desktops, no effects, no nothing, blah ;-P

GNU/Linux FTW!!!

(the last time I used windblows for anything seroius was in the win9x times, since then I use Linux 99% of my time, I treat wind as a legacy games console to run steam etc)
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Old, but still funny:

Is Windows a virus ?

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.
Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.
Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.
Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.
Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences:Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

XP ftw. Still using it.

Im curious Cyber Killer, using GNU/Linux 99% of the time (assuming 24/7 use, that like 15 mins a day. impressively fast to crash any os!), how do you still manage to crash XP daily? and more importantly WHY would you even use it then Tongue /trololol

I don't use windoze every day, I use it when I want to play sth that runs only on win.Anyway, you think 15 minutes is a fast crash? Many years ago I had win me installed - that shit usually crashed 10-15 times during startup until I even got to the desktop(!).

Another example - recently I've written a small program (a tool for p&p RPG sessions, if anyone's interested, it's here) in C++/Qt4 & using Phonon to play some vorbis files. It run on GNU like a charm. But I promised some friends that are waiting for this app that I will put up a windows build. Man was it fuuuuu... up. Copy this dll, that dll, runs, doesn't play sound, install vorbis codec (windoze doesn't still have that by default!!!), works on my machine, doesn't work on any other. Hack away at the binary to find that it can't init the phonon backend - wtf does that mean? Search the net, turns out it needs some more dlls (that happened to be installed on my machine with the Qt SDK).... Nothing ever works on windoze. On GNU I would just run ldd on the binary and clearly see what libs I need, but windoze doesn't have a fraction of the tools I use & need. It's just broken, I'm not supporting another app on windows ever.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

15 mins is a very fast crash, for me, as my xp ran for years and years and never crashed unless i had a bad driver update (the linux i used in parallel at the time crashed my desktop far more often, and for a GUI based system its irrelevant if everything crash or "just" the apps you are using, you will loose anything unsaved). Any system can become unstable if properly abused Wink The dll dance you just described can be just as bad on lunix when shared libs of different versions are needed for diffract things. Should be noted I don't advocate windows over linux, i just don't like ppl blaming their own inability to maintain a system purely on its origin.

Quote:i just don't like ppl blaming their own inability to maintain a system purely on its origin.

I frequently have to put up with ppl doing just that in context of GNU/Linux, so I enjoy trolling about my problems with windoze :-). Since 2001 Linux has been my main OS, I really love it and used it for so long that I got used to all the features in the desktop that I use (KDE) and all the usefull cli tools. Hence it angers me greatly when I am forced to do anything on a desktop that doesn't gave the features that I like so much. I never used the win nt line for anything other than running some games. I don't know how to debug or tweak it - for ever problem with windoze I use a simple remedy - reinstall :-).

I think I had a USB TV tuner/capture card that worked only on Windows XP, because the company which made the drivers probably went kaput or something.

I freaking hated the XP/Luna shell. It was just... horrible.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I got some hardware that only works on GNU/Linux, cause the companies that made it no longer exist and they made drivers only for win9x ;-D.

That is one extremely irritating part of windows. And it does not apply just to kaput corp's. The other day i found out that my hp scanner apparently have no win7 drivers available for it. The hardware in question is not that ancient - usb connected etc and hp was still alive last time i checked. But nope. Grated this is more of a irritating mfg thing then a purely windows/linux thing, but regardless its real irritating when perfectly good hardware no longer works "just because".

^Planned obsolescence. Screw that ****. It gets worse on printer cartridges. Some manufacturers lock them after some time, even when they aren't empty.

I have mixed feelings ... seeing as I need to make a map for cod4 to get a possible internship at raven soft I am using win xp all the time atm ... (so much that I am installing xonotic a second time for the xp side of my duel boot)

I did install a thing called deskpins that allows me to get my "window always on top" button that I use in kde"
It has crashed once due to ati's driver foolery
I don't mind no effects (have them turned off in linux too)

One bad thing I have to say about linux (shame on me) is that ... I cant print from it ... It might be cannon's fault ... or that the printer is too new ... I don't know ... but I can't get my printer working ...from linux ...

although ... I had to install the kde pack for xp to get konqueror and krita ( konqueror can be VERY useful in some special cases (no ... not for web browsing))

(06-22-2012, 08:59 AM)tZork Wrote: That is one extremely irritating part of windows. And it does not apply just to kaput corp's. The other day i found out that my hp scanner apparently have no win7 drivers available for it. The hardware in question is not that ancient - usb connected etc and hp was still alive last time i checked. But nope. Grated this is more of a irritating mfg thing then a purely windows/linux thing, but regardless its real irritating when perfectly good hardware no longer works "just because".
With HP you can normally force things to work with a driver for an older/newer device. Sometimes there may be problems still so not universally applicable.

If you had a networked one rather than USB it's much easier. Simply connect up to the internal webserver from a browser and scan into the browser as a file that you download. Works very well.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

oh .. i forgot ... I DO have virtual desktops in xp ... also handled by a separate program ... they suck ... but they still work

ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I prefer Win7, though I use XP because downloading a cracked XP SP3 iso was so easy, and I used XP for so many years that I know it pretty well.

I'd rather use Linux, but not being able to play any game I wanna try is a huge downfall for me. I know WINE can work well, but it's not a solution.

Also, it's ridiculous to me that people not only want to buy the next Windows, but they are also willing to pay so much for it.

(06-22-2012, 10:10 AM)hutty Wrote: I cant print from it ... It might be cannon's fault ...

Canon did a very poor job writing Linux drivers, but there are cupsfiles out there. I had a pixma running like that (tad more than half the features the Windows driver gave me), but the printhead broke or something. Now I have a brother printer and their Linux support is great. They don't burn packages on CDs quite yet, but they're quite accessible without having to hack stuff. Only thing that doesn't work is network scanning (but I don't think that works at all; maybe with custom firmware?).
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(06-22-2012, 05:13 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: Also, it's ridiculous to me that people not only want to buy the next Windows, but they are also willing to pay so much for it.

if you're buyng a computer with windows already on board, it's not that expensive.
I think this is the most common way of buying it (or not? i may be wrong here).
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Quote:Also, it's ridiculous to me that people not only want to buy the next Windows, but they are also willing to pay so much for it.

Well give me gaming support (and some more application support) for Linux that's as good as gaming support (and app support) for Windows and I'd happily swap.

Until then, it's mainly Windows for me I'm afraid.

(06-22-2012, 10:11 AM)edh Wrote: With HP you can normally force things to work with a driver for an older/newer device.

Aye, but that's not "my job" as a consumer (and in this case if actually BOSD win7). It'd be a trivial task to set up a networked machine for it, but given how rarely i use the thing its a waste of time. Next time i need a flatbed ill just go pick up a new, non hp, one Tongue

then its settled .

cool kids use windows xp.

complain all ya want , but we are so cool we dont care what ya think.

i better go , i got a hot tub full of ladies that wanna sex me while i check my garage full of the sickest cars in the world on the tv screen , all while i count my millions and snort cocaine.

its a hard life........

so hard...

ladies will cover that.

linux wont :p

t

:^

oh and lee...
HATE CRIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(heheh)

(06-23-2012, 07:12 AM)chooksta Wrote: while i check my garage full of the sickest cars in the world on the tv screen , all while i count my millions and snort cocaine.

Your ladies have unusual turn-ons.

Which means they're probably robots and run linux.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What to do with viruses on Windows? aa 15 12,280 09-14-2021, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Ingrid
  Compiz/unity got undirected fullscreen windows s1lence 2 3,919 10-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Last Post: edh
  Windows 8 Preview Build Lee_Stricklin 4 5,216 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin