Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] OUNS

We should have some sort of Clan tracking support in Xonstat or a page on the front page of the site. I'm losing track of all of these clans!

We used to have OUNS.

What's that?

Official Unofficial Nexuiz Wiki. I archived it here: http://ouns.nexuizninjaz.com/

OUNS is still there?

Who's managing it these days? Havent seen 4m for a long time.
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

As far as I know, it's closed and hardly needs managing as a result of that. MrBougo himself was quite active on that front when it was still being used.
It's an interesting idea to resurrect it for Xonotic. But that is a discussion best moved away from this NJ clan thread! Let's split this thread from the 2nd post onwards?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

OUNS was dreadful to admin. I'm not going back there.

Spoiler!

Something like this is in Antibody's mind and it's pretty nice. Smile

I think something like OUNS is a pain to do.

Some clan IRC channels are here: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/IRC
and there is the Clan subforum here.
To be honest there is not much activity anyway. Tongue

Right, and it is all in my mind! That means it has to share space with various cats and tumbleweeds that frequent the area...

But seriously - we don't have enough activity to start work on a clan/ladder system yet anyway. We'll revisit when we start to see that.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

[OT]
Ah, this sounds like a classic "adventure" part.

"Craft" a laddersystem. But before, collect Users. Damn, before that - do some PR.
*arf* and even before that - do a version 1.0 .

So the actual task is: <saved game lost>
[/OT]
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

I didn't mean to imply there is a chicken and egg problem. There are just things needing work that are much more pressing for me at the moment.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Maybe making a sticky with a list of all active clans sorted by category(like competive, casual, dev etc.)? I could update it when new clans come.

From what I understand of Xonotic, most of the technical information can be taken directly from OUNS (the command list, for example). Clan pages are another question; we need to populate a new wiki that is both active and editable, neither of which the long-dead "Nexuiz Ninjas" could hope to provide.

Nah, OUNS is in no way exhaustive when it comes to technical info. Even less so if you apply that to Xonotic.

I administrated OUNS in its last era (it used to live on wikispaces and was kind of a mess). I ended up running a web crawler to convert it to static pages and replace the live version with the static mirror, which means it is no longer editable (but that way I don't have to update the wiki software and worry about potential security flaws). I still have a backup of the whole live site if that's ever needed.

It was truly a big pain to admin, especially the publicly editable namespaces of clans and players. In the last few months, I had to deal with some spambots, reverting that was painful (I basically went through the edit logs of all pages before archiving the thing...). But some editors were a real pain too: I fixed countless clan and player pages because they were badly formatted. I had this as the template in the player namespace:
Code:
<note important>Please make links when you are referring to players, clans, weapons, playermodels, gametypes... For more help on making links, follow the "Making links" link in the menu seen on every wiki page on the left side. ([[wiki:linklist]])
Please read the help, too! ([[wiki:help]])
Now, delete this %%%<note>%%% section (up to %%%</note>%%%). **If you don't remove it, the page will be deleted.**</note>
yet players would skip that part, badly fill up their info with poor formatting and leave the notice at the top of the page. Of course I wouldn't actually delete the page, but fix everything myself. To do this properly, I had to review every single edit.

I was also EXTREMELY lucky that I didn't have vandalism on the wiki because I would have been completely unable to revert it. Dokuwiki (at the time) didn't offer me the right tools for that. It would have been easy to make a horrible mess of the site during my absence and have the site taken out for a while.

If there is a successor to OUNS, the clan/player lists will HAVE to be more in the form of a database with semantic output, instead of a crappy WYSIWYG system that relies on the editors to format it in a way that makes sense. It will also need some way to prevent vandalism. A wiki isn't the right solution for the clan/player aspect IMHO. Of course, using a wiki system makes sense for the rest of the content.

Quote:I was also EXTREMELY lucky that I didn't have vandalism on the wiki because I would have been completely unable to revert it.

That seems weird... Must have been a poor choice of wiki.

Yeah, I agree Mr B. Using a wiki probably won't work for the clan/player aspect.

Dokuwiki was easy enough to maintain, the database was text files and gzipped archives, it was cool.

Okay... So why would you have been completely unable to revert it? Isn't that a bit of a flaw?

Well, I would have been, but it would have taken a while. I'd either have to review the history of every single page and revert by hand, or write some PHP (which I don't really know) to mass-revert edits from a certain timespan or IP. Dokuwiki provided no tools for this.

Other wikis such as mediawiki are more convenient to maintain but it's a much bigger and complicated system.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Disabling gore MASSIVELY increases Fps! rocknroll237 10 9,275 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Fireball
  [SOLVED] Where can I find custom files? rocknroll237 1 3,367 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Troijan @ img.xonotic.org ? Exitium 4 4,872 08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Last Post: -z-