Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Heart 

(07-19-2012, 01:33 PM)machine! Wrote: Nice, but I prefer X-force as menu them and mental confilict as a map song! Tongue

BTW you don't -snip- but just saying...

Good work btw ! Big Grin

You should read the first post in this thread before posting:

Quote:NOTE: this is a SUBMISSION THREAD. No discussion is to take place here - create a separate thread for that. Instead, you are to submit files (via URLs) here, and I take them to our official music submissions list, then delete the post so I can always easily see which tracks I still have to add. If discussion IS started here, I ask the moderators to use the "split thread" feature to split it out to a separate thread; do not delete posts that are not submissions, just split them away!
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

Sorry!

There, I split it.

I'll add that asking the contributor to provide us proof that they bought the software seems a little over the top to me. But I'm not part of the Xonotic team, so it's better to ask merlijn or divVerent about this.

I didn't said we should to it, I'm more interesting what the law say, I don't think they can have proof archer is using a licensed copy with just a .ogg to go with.

I never said you said such a thing Tongue

I feel bad, I shouldn't assumed archer used a pirate copy. It feels like I got this out wrong, if I did, sorry.

You didn't seem to assume anything, you're raising an interesting question. Now if you think this question would be better left unasked/unanswered, I can move this topic to WW or Sanity Island or something.

Excellent track and I think it would be a valuable addition if it's properly licensed. As far as intro themes are concerned though... I'd say SC0RP nailed that one.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

As far as I know it does not affect the licensing of the work whether the creator used a pirate copy or a purchased software. That would only concern the right to use the tool, which has no effect on the licensed work created with it (since using legal means is not a condition precedent for protection of a work). This does of course not mean using pirate copies is permitted or acceptable, the creator can be sued for licensing fees and/or damages or whatever for such unauthorized usage of the software. But I highly doubt license violation while using the software would have any impact on licensing the work.

However, releasing the work under GPL requires you to release the sources. In case of music, this would be the project file. In my opinion it can become tricky if you are using prefab loops or sound samples you did not create yourself with the software (for example with the synthesizer), if such sounds are INCLUDED with the project file. So long as the project file includes the midi information when to play which sample that comes with the software (which is your own, original work), there's no problem. But if you'd distribute the proprietary loops and/or sound samples in the project file, the sounds or loops would be under GPL, too. And this would be in conflict of the software license that the program is licensed under, at least in most cases.

But you can find more information about licensing a track under GPL and the requirements for source disclosure here: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Legal

Hope to have been able to help :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Thanks for clearing that out Halogene! Smile

Didn't see this thread before... But there is no single way people can detect a pirated copy in a sound file, or even in the source file. The source file purely contains the arrangement of notes and instruments I composed/synthesized, and the sound file made in Ableton is a .wav that basically only contains the sound.

I then use a converter to convert the .wav file to an .ogg file so it can be put to use in Xonotic.

So even if all this raises an interesting question, I am not going to answer it anyway as it's not relevant to the case.

And to clear things up, the whole composition (all notes you can hear, rythms, melodies, harmonies) are 100% composed by me. The drums consist 50% of samples I made at home (mostly noise samples), and the other 50% come from samplekits that are 100% free to modify and to use, and they are in fact modified A LOT by me, so I could basically call those my own samples as well, as people cannot tell if it's based on a specific sample or not.

There are no loop prefabs, no illegally used samples, and the instruments are synthesized using Ableton Live's internal synthesizers, which is just with the standard software package, so just falls under Ableton Live, and that would fall under what I explained on top.

So I think there's nothing to worry about when using my music in the game Smile

I'm sorry how I posted in this thread, I had no intention offending or anything like that, it was wrong of me to assume piracy in the first place, I just don't want Xonotic to get harmed, sorry!

(10-11-2012, 08:20 AM)machine! Wrote: I'm sorry how I posted in this thread, I had no intention offending or anything like that, it was wrong of me to assume piracy in the first place, I just don't want Xonotic to get harmed, sorry!

No apologies, you did nothing wrong, I just cleared up some stuff for everybody Wink

I thought you raised an interesting point, machine.

Archer, as for source and copiled files not bearing any trace in a pirated copy of the software, I wouldn't be so sure about that. See this old story about a SoundForge crack: Warezed SoundForge Files In Windows Media Player (screenshot of the signature).

It's not an uncommon thing for software cracks to edit the branding.

EDIT: Of course, all I'm saying here is that it's good to be aware of this. That is all.

The song actually does loop well enough for use in maps IMO.

(10-11-2012, 11:54 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I thought you raised an interesting point, machine.

Archer, as for source and copiled files not bearing any trace in a pirated copy of the software, I wouldn't be so sure about that. See this old story about a SoundForge crack: Warezed SoundForge Files In Windows Media Player (screenshot of the signature).

It's not an uncommon thing for software cracks to edit the branding.

EDIT: Of course, all I'm saying here is that it's good to be aware of this. That is all.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up, I'll do some research about that regarding Ableton Live

me and manad1nga went through this , divverent too (was a while ago aye guys)

archer , yea mate , your fine using ableton's sounds in board , etc , but any sounds ya bring into the sequencer , of course , must be cleared , but dont be scared of using loops too
i use them ALOT! (old school bitches :p) and with the source(s) i use them from are royalty free and cleared , but probally the only rule that stands out is they ask you to not package their samples and sell them as that (and fair enuf too)

also if ya dont sell what ya make , then your pretty good too :p

anyway , why would one ever bother to take , when one could simply ask , and if that one said no , then one could simply recreate and call it their own (so long as its not EXACTLY the same)

what was the question again?

t

:^
(oh and cool track mate!)
[Image: 227.png]

(10-12-2012, 09:07 AM)chooksta Wrote: me and manad1nga went through this , divverent too (was a while ago aye guys)

archer , yea mate , your fine using ableton's sounds in board , etc , but any sounds ya bring into the sequencer , of course , must be cleared , but dont be scared of using loops too
i use them ALOT! (old school bitches :p) and with the source(s) i use them from are royalty free and cleared , but probally the only rule that stands out is they ask you to not package their samples and sell them as that (and fair enuf too)

also if ya dont sell what ya make , then your pretty good too :p

anyway , why would one ever bother to take , when one could simply ask , and if that one said no , then one could simply recreate and call it their own (so long as its not EXACTLY the same)

what was the question again?

t

:^
(oh and cool track mate!)

Thanks man! Big Grin

Hehe, I used to have this superlarge and silly database of all kinds of sounds (percussion, samples) I made while I was messing around with music. I even recorded the sound of a pringles tube while slapping on it, it almost resembled a bongo after editing it for a bit. All of it is gone though due to a harddrive failure.

But yeah, 90% of my work is synthesized and not based on samples/loops, and the rest consists mostly of samples I firmly edited/created myself.

And I guess there's no question anymore now Tongue

The thing is, if it's GPL-licensed, you must be able to sell it. If the sample's licencing imposes restrictions on the distribution of the source file or the end product that aren't compatible with the GPL (like "don't sell the track") it can't be included in Xonotic.

(10-12-2012, 03:25 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The thing is, if it's GPL-licensed, you must be able to sell it. If the sample's licencing imposes restrictions on the distribution of the source file or the end product that aren't compatible with the GPL (like "don't sell the track") it can't be included in Xonotic.

The thing I'm having difficulty with, is with understanding what people mean by source when it comes down to music.

What's the bare minimum that should be provided? Because I'm not sure if the project files actually contain sample data, sample based drums might end up blank as well.

The project does contain all MIDI data though, as well as all the settings/information for each of the synthesizers.

That's subject to interpretation. Read this: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Legal

(10-12-2012, 05:11 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That's subject to interpretation. Read this: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Legal

Seems clear enough, does the source have to be public? I'm not too fond of releasing my samples for public use, but it's no problem if it's a must.

I don't really think there's a way around it. You have to provide the sources when requested, and you could indeed not have them public, but you should expect a demand from the Xonotic Team to give them your sources. They in turn can decide to make them publicly available in the mediasource repository.

It won't exactly be out in the open (only in git and gitweb), but since it's GPL or CC you never really know where it can end up (which IMHO is a wonderful thing).