Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED]Experiencing Some Internet Problems

Specifically YouTube.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, latest Firefox. The videos stream fine, but I can't download any of the videos direct from YouTube. Using a third-party download manager (uGet) gives me a message saying that the server responded with a 403 error. But for some reason, i can download the video if it is embedded in another site. Furthermore, the video downloads fine on a Windows machine.

Would anyone know why this is happening? Has anyone else experienced this?
How long is a piece of string?

Uhm, sounds weird Tongue

Have you tried it with another browser, e.g. Chromium/Chrome? Also, I use VideoDownloadHelper to download such videos, and it works fine all the time. Maybe you can give that one a try?
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Are you using the same version of uGet and Firefox on both OSes? How are you trying to directly download the videos from YouTube in Firefox? Is it sending exactly the same HTTP request?

If I understood it right and you are indeed downloading this directly from firefox, install the Live HTTP Headers addon and see if the packet sent differs from one OS to the other. Otherwise, if it's a third party process doing the download, perhaps try finding the GET packet with Wireshark (website)

Didn't try uGet on the Windows machine, but the default download manager on Windows managed to download the video, while the one on Linux did not. I'm going to try the add-on that you suggested to see if that helps any? Thanks.

Also, is Chromium compatible with uGet?
How long is a piece of string?

What do you call the "default download manager"?? You use Firefox to somehow download the video file from YouTube. Could you please detail your workflow for this?

EDIT: Oh whoa. There are different programs all called uGet, which one are you using? From my understanding, it's a standalone program that you feed some URL and it then downloads your file. It's completely independant from your browser, so there's no such thing as "compatibility with chromium".

EDIT2: Could you perhaps come on irc? http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic and ask for MrBougo? (type it exactly so I know you're there)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Just some neurofunk-y dubsteppish cool tune I made unfa 0 4,186 05-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Internet Explorer satuim 24 23,637 04-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Last Post: satuim
  Wisdom of Internet anark10n 14 10,727 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: anark10n
  CleanIT wants to censor EU Internet for "anti-terrorism" Minkovsky 28 27,991 08-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  Devastating internet censorship plan (new SOPA) to be put in practice from July! MirceaKitsune 21 20,534 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  Some words in a language can make sense in another nekomata 10 8,928 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: edh
  Here's some eggs for ya. Minkovsky 9 6,935 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  Weird requests from the dark corners of the internet? Minkovsky 8 7,725 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Help fight internet censorship and SOPA! MirceaKitsune 22 24,868 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  Thought y'all might liki some perspective... anark10n 11 10,275 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m