Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I built a tube guitar preamp

Just wanted to show off my latest DIY project, a rackmount tube guitar preamp. It turned out really well and I'm super pleased with it. I think other guitar players and electronics tinkerers will appreciate Smile

[Image: preamp_finished-1024x768.jpg]

There's a full write-up post on my site as well as a video. Article is here:
http://www.brandonfoltz.com/2013/01/rack...ar-preamp/

and video:

Awesome built! And awesome played! Big Grin

Btw: Could show off something of my self-built speakers and amps too but I´m too lazy to post something at the moment. Tongue Maybe later...

DIY stuff is always neat! GJ!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I do not know much about this stufff, so can I wonder, do those radio valves are serving any purpose, or are they just for decoration?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(01-23-2013, 11:38 AM)aa Wrote: I do not know much about this stufff, so can I wonder, do those radio valves are serving any purpose, or are they just for decoration?

Of course they serve a purpose, do you see any transistors in the schematic?

They amplify the signal, and more importantly provide that special character of distortion that every rock guitarist wants in his amp Wink Try a solid state (transistor) amp and a tube amp side by side and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

They also look really cool Smile

(01-23-2013, 04:02 PM)JayWalker Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 11:38 AM)aa Wrote: I do not know much about this stufff, so can I wonder, do those radio valves are serving any purpose, or are they just for decoration?
Try a solid state (transistor) amp and a tube amp side by side and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

They also look really cool Smile

So now you say that I have to get an electric guitar, learn to play it, and then make a preamp with tube (nevermind wherw am I suppose to find any of them)?
I am a practical person, so seeng an somthing inefficient makes me wonder "what's the catch?"

P.S. you'r awesome.)
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

lol thanks :p

What type of 12AX7s are those? Can't tell from here. Sovtek? Nice work, man! Real nice!

EDIT: Nvm, watched the video lol, should have done that first. Since they're so accessible and easily changed out, whenever you have $15 spare I'd really highly recommend checking out Tung Sol's 12AX7. With distortion you may hear too much emphasis on the high end, but can deal with that with an EQ on the way in. But the body, oh man. Thick city. I use it for vocal mic preamp for voiceover and absolutely ADORE it. Brighter and thicker than the Sovtek, but like I said, use it for voiceover so might not be the best choice for your amp. Worth experimenting with though for sure, there are so many crappy 12AX7 brands, most are made in the same factory. Again, redundant, but nice damn work dude.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

@bitbomb I will try that some time. It's always nice to build a collection of tubes. The Sovtek made a world of improvement over the Yamaha it replaced in the V1 position, so much more bass and smoother distortion but it's cool to try out other sounds too. Might sound nice to replace the Yamaha currently in the V2.

I have a bunch of sub-miniature 6247WA tubes laying around. May try to attach two of them to a base and make a 12AT7 substitute since they're most similar to halves of that tube. Could make for an interesting sound :p I'd like to build a tube headphone amp some time, they'ed probably be better for that.

Just to give an idea of the Tung Sol sound, quick 'dialing things in' demo with a Studio Projects VTB1 preamp (came with a Sovtek), replaced with Tung Sol (for use with announcer sessions). It's tasty, I should have recorded more with the Sovtek for comparison, but this is much thicker and crispier at the same time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40671139/VTB1Dem...est002.wav

I'd love to hear some more recordings of that amp if you start messing with the configuration, man.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

That does sound nice, hard to deduce how it might sound in a guitar amp from that though. I'll grab one just for giggles and see how it sounds.

Do you know if the tube you're using is a tall plate or short plate variety (also vintage or re-issue)? The Sovtek I'm using is a long plate variety and I think that has a lot to do with it sounding so much better than the short plate Yamaha. Things I've read seem to agree, long plate tubes sound more "open" with better bass response and smoother highs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying it with the guitar. unfa 2 4,269 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Last Post: unfa