Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn Small Xonotic~RELOADED

This is an UPDATED version of Damn Small Xonotic made to work with the latest version of Xonotic (currently 0.6.0). I must give credit to Akari for using some of his folders and files from the original Damn Small Xonotic. I did some work myself, though; settings, cvars, etc. Everything just works.

NOTE: This is a heavy beta, so there might be some bugs here and there. If you notice any bugs please reply in this topic. Also I don't know if this is only me, but if after double clicking the Xonotic executable nothing happens, give it a while (5-7 seconds). Also note that servers may take time to show up.

Here is the link to the main download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/w7tyn9

Also, for you Linux users, you can try this (default Linux executables were taken out): http://www.sendspace.com/file/coxxh0

After downloading the above RAR, extract all of the files into the main Xonotic folder (as soon as you open it). Please let me know how it goes as this hasn't been tested on Linux.

EDIT: I just got word that the Linux version doesn't work. I will work on it tomorrow. Will update topic.
EDIT: Just decreased size from 280MB (uncompressed) to 211MB. Will upload tomorrow. Also set up a Dropbox for DSX and an email: dsx-dev@live.com

It would be better for such a build to be put together by some kind of build script. This way it's not having to be re-engineered for each Xonotic release, someone just has to use the script on whatever release is out at the time and they've got a small version of it. It would make it a lot easier for you this way.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Yes, but the thing is that I put this together in a few hours. I don't have the knowledge to create a script whatsoever.

The wonderful thing with a script is it would take much less time. I have been thinking for a long time that I would get onboard with revising Damn Small Nexuiz/Xonotic but only nearer the 1.0 release.

I would be happy to help you with this by putting together a script to automate the process and we should also be able to sort out the Linux issues too. If you could just outline all of the steps you went through to put this together then I will see what I can do to automate it.

We could then go ahead with releasing the DSX build script on Sourceforge, allowing it to be maintained separate from Xonotic and for DSX releases to be made shortly after with Xonotic releases. By releasing the script this way it will prevent the cycle that happens with DSN/DSX of maintainers losing interest, then someone else basically does all of the work again from scratch, then they lose interest and someone else has to start again...

First I replaced the 'models' folder located inside 'xonotic-20120308-data.pk3' with the 'models' folder from the DSX 'data.pk3'. This would cause all models to become boxes. Although by itself, the boxes were all the same color. Which is why I also replaced the 'textures' folder with the DSX one. I then replaced the 'gfx' folder with the DSX one (gives you a nostalgic DSX 1.0preview look). I also changed up some cvars to squeeze out a little bit more FPS. I removed the gun because it would be a disaster at such a low resolution, especially with small monitors/laptops.

After that, I was done messing with the pk3's (at least digging inside of them). Since I found out that the 75mb data.pk3 alone has maps, textures, etc. I kept it with the original 'xonotic-20120308-data.pk3' in the 'data' folder. I was thinking of removing it but it contains the single player campaign and smaller dependencies. I also couldn't manage leaving it by itself because by doing that, the servers wouldnt display at all. After all of that, I removed the 'xonotic-20120308-maps.pk3' file because the DSX data.pk3 already has all of those, I would guess compressed. Also removed 'xonotic-20120308-music.pk3' because it's just a waste of space. Kept the font pk3s because without them, everything would be bloated and unreadable. Also disabled all visual settings, default resolution is 720x576 (universal support).

And with the Linux builds, my upload speed is horrid, so I will be dual-booting Windows with a default Ubuntu 12.10 setup to test it first. If it works, I'll upload and send it to you first. I could also set up a dropbox for maintaining files and updates and such (if needed).

What you have created here may have problems. By copying the older 0.1 files across there may be some mismatches between versions of files. I really wouldn't recommend this and instead it's much better to work from the latest release.

What file size have you got to with this? Not sure what the aim should really be but considering DSN was around 50Mb when Nexuiz 2.0 was around 200Mb, a 200-250Mb DSX would seem fair. I am away for the next few days but will have a go maybe at the weekend to put together something.

I didn't want to dabble with the textures/models myself because I would have broken something. And I would think that by using older textures and models from the previous version, it would equal more FPS since the newer textures and models are harder to render. But I'm open to ideas.

The file is a 221mb rar that uncompresses into 280mb.

I tried removing the data.pk3 (75mb) that belonged to the original DSX, but it contained the single player and such. Otherwise it would have been much smaller.

Nais.
I remember the old days where people brought games on their sticks on the last day of school...

(03-27-2013, 07:38 AM)ZdrytchX Wrote: Nais.
I remember the old days where people brought games on their sticks on the last day of school...

Just wait 'til I bring it down even more ^_^

Ideally someone should go through and amend the release script to swap models for the models (or textures, or gfx) in said package, but I don't have time to do this... Perhaps we can get -z- or FruitieX to work on the script?

We DO essentially want a smaller release build, but an official one which works as well as it can.

(03-28-2013, 10:05 AM)Samual Wrote: Ideally someone should go through and amend the release script to swap models for the models (or textures, or gfx) in said package, but I don't have time to do this... Perhaps we can get -z- or FruitieX to work on the script?

We DO essentially want a smaller release build, but an official one which works as well as it can.

I'll work on making it smaller (files and such). And it would be really appreciated if someone could revise the script ^^

It would make the job much easier if you describe the EXACT steps you take in the entire process of changing a 0.6 release into a smaller release BTW, that way whoever works on the script can build the same steps in the same way. I know you already slightly did this above, but write out the steps in a list please with as many details as you think could be useful.

1. Look inside the DSN 'data.pk3'
2. Replace 'models' folder inside 'xonotic-20120308-data.pk3' with 'models' folder inside DSX data.pk3
3. Replace 'textures' folder inside 'xonotic-20120308-data.pk3' with 'textures' folder inside DSX data.pk3 (vital because player models will all be the same color without this folder)
4. Replace 'gfx' folder inside 'xonotic-20120308-data.pk3' (gives DSX its own look once again)
5. Change up a whole lot of cvars (can't list them all, will post screen shots later)
6. Took campaign files from DSX data.pk3 and put them in 'xonotic-20120308-data.pk3'
7. Deleted 'xonotic-20120308-maps.pk3' (the 'textures' folder already supplies them)
8. Deleted 'xonotic-20120308-music.pk3' (when I'm playing a good game of xonotic, I don't pay attention to the music I'm listening to)
Will post more steps as soon as I get back

data.pk3 is from a very outdated xonotic version (0.1?), or not?

(03-28-2013, 05:35 PM)asyyy Wrote: data.pk3 is from a very outdated xonotic version (0.1?), or not?

Yes it was the only thing I could work with.

(03-28-2013, 05:35 PM)asyyy Wrote: data.pk3 is from a very outdated xonotic version (0.1?), or not?
This is what I'd said before, probably going to be broken for those reasons.

I'm happy to do the scripting, more likely than not I'll start it from scratch on first principles so this will be DSXFS (Damn Small Xonotic From Scratch).

Pardon me for bumping this rather old topic, but the links in the OP is down, could you please reupload them?

CireGr, the package was rather broken and very outdated. I don't think you want this. And I don't think many people have it either (I don't).

I see, does anyone have the old Damn Small Xonotic at least, the links for that seem to be down too.

You don't want to play with an outdated client.

I'm reducing the 0.7.0 release. Currently my Not So Damn Small Xonotic is a little bit over 100M. I want to reduce more (<100M at least) and tweak the configuration. I'm going to upload (with the build script) after that.
somewhere

(10-13-2013, 03:54 PM)monad Wrote: I'm reducing the 0.7.0 release. Currently my Not So Damn Small Xonotic is a little bit over 100M. I want to reduce more (<100M at least) and tweak the configuration. I'm going to upload (with the build script) after that.
Excellent news! I admire your efforts.

(10-13-2013, 03:54 PM)monad Wrote: I'm reducing the 0.7.0 release. Currently my Not So Damn Small Xonotic is a little bit over 100M. I want to reduce more (<100M at least) and tweak the configuration. I'm going to upload (with the build script) after that.

Just a thought, perhaps this new release could work well with the Android port that -Z- has been working on?

monad, if you want to make your own thread for this, go ahead. I'll lock this one if you do so (but don't let me forget then Tongue)

I'd love to play Damn Small Xonotic on an Android phone Big Grin
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...8#pid63158
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Damn Small Xonotic (reloaded reloaded?) monad 3 6,557 10-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Last Post: CireGr
  [outdated] Damn Small Xonotic Akari 22 41,093 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Last Post: s1lence