Create an account

Poll: Keep player names for enemies?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I like my wallhack-light!
55.56%
5 55.56%
Burn it with fire!
44.44%
4 44.44%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Remove Player names for enemies

As the title suggests I think that feature should be completeley removed from the game. In its current implentation it:
- Will draw the player name if you cannot see his model at all but have vision to the area where the name is drawn (i.e. you are standing lower than someone)
- Will sometimes stay onscreen for as long as 2 seconds allowing you to see through walls where your enemy is running away to.

I don't see any reason to keep it in the game in its current form. Anyone disagree?

You can turn it off if you want. As for affecting gameplay, I found I locate enemies by looking at them rather then noticing there names tag showing up.

The problem isn't how I like to play, the problem is that there's a features in this game that functions similar to a wallhack. Why would I not use it if it's there? All my opponents potentially use it so why put myself in a disadvantadge?

In minsta games (especially duels) it's actually a game changer, but since it's available for all players it's fair. It needs fixing but out of 1on1 games there is no real problem.
[Image: 12684.png]

Maybe there should be a serversided posibility to turn it on or off, so the server admin can decide how it should work on his server.

(06-02-2013, 06:12 AM)TheGoodGamer Wrote: Maybe there should be a serversided posibility to turn it on or off, so the server admin can decide how it should work on his server.

Yea I suppose adding a server variable to forbid it would be the best solution for now.
Something like sv_shownames 0 // Allow clients to show player names. 0: forbidden, 1: own team only 2: both

Ideally it should be fixed to work properly, but that's polishing that can be done once Xon is no longer in beta.
I also noticed that you sometimes see the name appear through walls for about half a second after the enemy spawns. It's ridiculous the advantadge it gives you in minsta 1v1.

// Edit: Just found This old bug report. I don't quite understand why it's impossible to make this a server-side var if the server can force models etc.

Yes, it's a bug, I have reported a similar issue some time ago, too. Unfortunately it looks like nobody is willing to or capable of fixing it.
[Image: 11878.png]

(06-04-2013, 04:31 AM)bw[nk] Wrote: // Edit: Just found This old bug report. I don't quite understand why it's impossible to make this a server-side var if the server can force models etc.

That comment #11 is wrong, it's entirely possible to implement a setting that makes the server tell the client to switch off that name display logic. Please read the opinions and nuances though, they are relevant.

Do you guys think this bug should be reopened? I won't do it myself because I'm not fully aware of the issue, but I can point this thread to someone who can.

Diomedes, was it a bug report on the tracker? If so, can you give us the link to it?

http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/1373

It has occured several times after the report, happened to many other players too.

That's a different issue than what is discussed in the OP, is it not?

Yes, that's what I said.

(06-04-2013, 05:09 AM)Diomedes Wrote: Yes, it's a bug, I have reported a similar issue some time ago, too. Unfortunately it looks like nobody is willing to or capable of fixing it.

Because the ticket was not set up properly.

(06-05-2013, 03:26 AM)Mirio Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 05:09 AM)Diomedes Wrote: Yes, it's a bug, I have reported a similar issue some time ago, too. Unfortunately it looks like nobody is willing to or capable of fixing it.

Tell me what to fix about it, I can update it if necessary.

(06-05-2013, 01:09 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-05-2013, 03:26 AM)Mirio Wrote:

Tell me what to fix about it, I can update it if necessary.

I did that already. Wink

It should always have a Category, Assignee (!!) and Target Version set by the author.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Remove 4 player duel Antares* 1 2,691 06-30-2017, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Document or remove strafe jumping lamefun 3 4,762 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Remove the PHP tag Spaceman 7 8,963 08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names STEP 2 - contributing names Dokujisan 98 108,316 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] Display nic names + account control ? lunitix 17 19,118 12-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  [SUGGESTION] Nex leveling yet not remove its power. oiaohm 8 8,532 11-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Last Post: oiaohm
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names : general discussion Dokujisan 20 20,577 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Erusavion
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names STEP 1 - brainstorming words Dokujisan 15 17,237 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Last Post: ai