Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.Deb?

I don't really know if I should put this here, but...
Is there a .deb package for the latest version?
I'm using Lubuntu, so Xonotic's not in the software center.
I was eating my sock when I wrote this signature....

Xonotic is pretty much self-contained in the unzip directory. It will only write stuff to $HOME/.xonotic/*. This makes it easy to maintain. If you want a .deb package for whatever other reason I can't really help you though.

(11-07-2013, 06:30 AM)machine! Wrote: Xonotic is pretty much self-contained in the unzip directory. It will only write stuff to $HOME/.xonotic/*. This makes it easy to maintain. If you want a .deb package for whatever other reason I can't really help you though.

Okay. Uh, how would I run it if I downloaded it?

Extract the zip and run the script that matches your architecture. You can try the sdl and glx variants and see which one gives you better results.

Edit to be more elaborate: If you do it via console, you can just do
Code:
cd Downloads
unzip <Xonotic-ZIP-file>
and then do
Code:
cd Xonotic
./xonotic-linux64-sdl
if you're on a 64 bit system. You can of course also try the glx one. You can also move the Xonotic directory to any convenient place, it will always look at ~/.xonotic for the settings.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

In a graphical interface, you'd just click or double-click the xonotic-linux-sdl.sh file.

(11-07-2013, 07:02 AM)Halogene Wrote: and then do
Code:
cd Xonotic
./xonotic-linux64-sdl
if you're on a 64 bit system. You can of course also try the glx one. You can also move the Xonotic directory to any convenient place, it will always look at ~/.xonotic for the settings.

No, don't do that. Don't launch the binary directly, it won't set the environment in a fool-proof way. Do
Code:
./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh
instead.

(11-07-2013, 02:24 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: In a graphical interface, you'd just click or double-click the xonotic-linux-sdl.sh file.

(11-07-2013, 07:02 AM)Halogene Wrote: and then do
Code:
cd Xonotic
./xonotic-linux64-sdl

No, don't do that. Don't launch the binary directly, it won't set the environment in a fool-proof way. Do
Code:
./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh
instead.

I did that.

user@TheServer:~/Xonotic$ ./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh
bash: ./xonotic-linux-sdl.sh: Permission denied

Permission denied? Did you download it as a different user? Maybe do a

Code:
sudo chown -R <yourusername>:<yourusergroup> Xonotic
(you can easily determine your username and usergroup by doing "ls -la" while in your home directory, the files and folders get listed with owner status then)

Though I don't remember having to do that, you may have to give the file execution privileges:

Code:
chmod +x Xonotic/xonotic-linux-sdl.sh

If it is the execution privileges, you might have to do that for the "xonotic-linux64-sdl" binary too.
My Xonstats Profile

(11-08-2013, 04:42 AM)Halogene Wrote: Permission denied? Did you download it as a different user? Maybe do a

Code:
sudo chown -R <yourusername>:<yourusergroup> Xonotic
(you can easily determine your username and usergroup by doing "ls -la" while in your home directory, the files and folders get listed with owner status then)

Though I don't remember having to do that, you may have to give the file execution privileges:

Code:
chmod +x Xonotic/xonotic-linux-sdl.sh

If it is the execution privileges, you might have to do that for the "xonotic-linux64-sdl" binary too.

Oh, I tried the executable version, Xonotic just notified me it could find the menu.

(11-08-2013, 04:49 AM)memeticbiohazard Wrote: Oh, I tried the executable version, Xonotic just notified me it could find the menu.

You mean, it could NOT find the menu? Then you may have tried the binary as MrBougo pointed out - I seem to have defined the working directory in my shortcut so I can run it directly. If you try the "xonotic-linux-sdl.sh" script, it should run fine. Does it?
My Xonstats Profile

(11-08-2013, 05:30 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 04:49 AM)memeticbiohazard Wrote: Oh, I tried the executable version, Xonotic just notified me it could find the menu.

You mean, it could NOT find the menu? Then you may have tried the binary as MrBougo pointed out - I seem to have defined the working directory in my shortcut so I can run it directly. If you try the "xonotic-linux-sdl.sh" script, it should run fine. Does it?

Derp. Yeah, I'm just about to do the sudo chown whatever derp stuff on the .sh file.

Right, the executable was the one that couldn't find the menu, and the .sh file was the one which I have to privileges

Yup, use the .sh one (after setting the appropriate permissions, although I don't understand why they were wrong in the first place). That should prevent the menu errors from happening.