Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unicode characters

I distilled some of my own "lessons learned" when dealing with unicode characters recently in a blog post. Linux users and Python programmers may find it helpful!

tl;dr: You can enter unicode characters in many Linux apps by entering U + their hexadecimal code point while holding down control and shift. You can specify them as literals in Python code with either \uXXXX or \UXXXXXXXX.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I think the C-S-u combination is a GTK thing, which is why so many apps work fine with it. Can't blame vim for that Wink. If you use vim in gnome-terminal, I think you'll be able to input unicode the same way.

Since Xolonium 2.2, I also include a "CHARLIST" file along with the sources.
It lists all supported characters, for easy copy/paste. Tongue
http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/medias...v/xolonium

MrB: Yep, that's it! I was thinking that FF implemented its own UI kit, but after a quick check of dependencies it does indeed pull in gtk!

sev: I actually used your translation file to do the recent glyph work. I have an array starting from 0 and going up to 255. That array maps from the Xonotic code point (0xe000 to 0xe0ff) to the correct one (usually higher up in the range). It's arranged so array[<xon code point> - 0xe000] gives me the correct character. Fun!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(05-16-2014, 04:38 PM)Antibody Wrote: I actually used your translation file to do the recent glyph work.

Glad the translation file is of use.

The CHARLIST is simply intended to allow easy access to all 800 characters,
including Cyrillic/Greek, and the additional pictographs/emoticons.
You know, for sillyness... Umm, I mean testing. Big Grin