Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share music reference material for musicians

There were threads like this before, but I've found something that asked to be shared here:
[yt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dykA6b29T0Q[/yt]

I like the dark, pulsating energy and a bit minimalistic compositions this brings.
What say thou?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(06-11-2014, 07:58 PM)unfa Wrote: There were threads like this before, but I've found something that asked to be shared here:
[yt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dykA6b29T0Q[/yt]

I like the dark, pulsating energy and a bit minimalistic compositions this brings.
What say thou?

There's 1000's of CC licensed tracks here but obviously you'd have to ask the copyright holders about usage http://www.ektoplazm.com/
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-11-2014, 09:37 PM)end user Wrote: There's 1000's of CC licensed tracks here but obviously you'd have to ask the copyright holders about usage http://www.ektoplazm.com/

The point of CC is that the author allows you to use the work by default, without having to ask Wink

But in this case, it seems it's all NC (noncommercial), which is not compatible with Xonotic's license.

(06-12-2014, 01:38 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-11-2014, 09:37 PM)end user Wrote: There's 1000's of CC licensed tracks here but obviously you'd have to ask the copyright holders about usage http://www.ektoplazm.com/

The point of CC is that the author allows you to use the work by default, without having to ask Wink

But in this case, it seems it's all NC (noncommercial), which is not compatible with Xonotic's license.

That's why I said ask first. I did that about 4 years ago when I started a new shout cast station. Some of the producers said no problem if I was making money off my station and playing their tracks. You're dealing with sane people who love to produce music not labels that love to steal music rights.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Alright! I expected you to know that, but I thought it still deserved clarification for the record Smile

I still think it deserves discussion, though. I don't know much about video constituting derivative works, but if it is so, a video must be GPL-licensed as well and the material bundled with it too. That means the artist is not only giving you the right to exploit the music commercially in your video (as per the GPL), but to anyone else downloading the source material to the video, which you must provide.

That reaches much farther than individual permission, and it could make the musician think twice about letting you use the track in a derivative of a GPL work.

I think there have been discussions of adding an exception to Xonotic's license to make it clear that videos (or a precise type of videos, to avoid loopholes) and (some type of) screenshots are not considered as derivative, but that might be complicated.

Anyway, since many people already post screenshots and videos of copyrighted works without suffering from it, Xonotic's probably not going to be the game changer there. Plus, there's fair use and other exceptions which put this problem in a gray area.

Varien)'s breakdowns of his songs, music theory, anything. The man is a genius at arranging, producing and creating atmospheric sounds that tell a story. Recently did orchestral cues with Two Steps from Hell

I'm also listening to the soundtrack of Unreal Tournament 2004. It's huge:

I think it's work a good listen if you want to make your own soundtrack music.
I've got some inspiration from this. Also I really like the diversity here.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 678,002 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,222 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,834 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,410 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,273 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,134 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,747 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
Music Low interest in music development - why? unfa 28 30,221 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Jar-El
  I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork 98digger 3 5,753 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Orchestral music for Xonotic BuddyFriendGuy 9 14,062 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy