Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New track (WIP) - Toxic Sludge (New name = Sulphur)

Music 
Long time ago since I did anything, but here's Toxic Sludge Sulfur, a WIP track.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5189...ptWIP2.ogg

Decided to post it here for possible feedback as everything is still subject to change.

It already feels the way I want it though, most of the tweaking will mainly be re-arrangement, adding more (variation), and fixing the drums a bit.

But I'm open to suggestions, so please post them if you have any Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

No comments... Just to be clear, negative feedback is welcome too, in fact it's of more use to me than positive feedback in most cases.

I get some 80's vibes from the track and that's always a good sign.

I like the overall sound of it, i get some doom mixed with 8bit vives of it, which is never a bad thing =)

Its a little "flat" though, theres no crescendo or climax, that makes it sort of boring to listen to "alone". But i imagine that could also make it a nice game track for the same reason.

So to recap, nice vibes but could use a little more variation.

(06-20-2014, 03:19 AM)tZork Wrote: I like the overall sound of it, i get some doom mixed with 8bit vives of it, which is never a bad thing =)

Its a little "flat" though, theres no crescendo or climax, that makes it sort of boring to listen to "alone". But i imagine that could also make it a nice game track for the same reason.

So to recap, nice vibes but could use a little more variation.

It's indeed a pretty flat track, I was even surprised with it, because I generally always put at least one climax somewhere in my tracks, but this one managed to stay away from all that.

I'll work a bit more on the variation too I guess, it will probably become one minute longer.

Haven't playtested it yet though, I might have to do that at a later stage.

Making progress, it's nearly finished but I haven't entirely made up my mind regarding some parts.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5189...udgeV2.ogg

I might rename it too, Toxic Sludge sounds a bit generic, perhaps something else with "toxic" or acid or whatever : D

It has reached its final length though, and the actual final version will loop (while being slightly longer).

The track is finished, I'm not going to work on it any longer, the feedback provided was useful enough for me to be motivated to continue working on it!

The track has been renamed to "Sulfur" and can be heard on SoundCloud right here: https://soundcloud.com/deshaadman/sulfur...ng-version

This is the looping version for in-game usage (also higher quality than SC version):
- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5189...Sulfur.ogg

It can be used by mappers but it can also be put into the game itself without (legal) trouble.

All samples used were entirely made by me (I only use them for the drums), the rest is fully synthesized (no presets, I despise them) with Ableton Live's built in Analog synthesizer and built in effects.

Sources:
- Ableton Live 8.0.1 Arrangement, track in .ogg format and GPL license file
- My own "sample-pack" with stuff that I use for most tracks

very good, coheres with the current style very well. official inclusion please,
+ moar!

I like this one a lot, has some cool themes to it and after a match played, I agree - I'd like it included in the game Smile

The only thing I would change is the pannning of the lead instruments, witch is a bit too extreme for headphones. I'd just pan these a bit more to the center, loop it, and that's it!

Oh, I gotta record a video tutorial about looping music for Xonotic!

Good work, Archer!!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(06-23-2014, 02:59 PM)unfa Wrote: I like this one a lot, has some cool themes to it and after a match played, I agree - I'd like it included in the game Smile

The only thing I would change is the pannning of the lead instruments, witch is a bit too extreme for headphones. I'd just pan these a bit more to the center, loop it, and that's it!

Oh, I gotta record a video tutorial about looping music for Xonotic!

Good work, Archer!!
Thanks for the feedback Unfa Smile

The soundcloud version does not loop, the file from the link to that .ogg does actually loop pretty seamlessly though (soundcloud version is more or less just for listening, it has higher bass too).

I'll see what I can do about the panning though, I tend to make use of all available space in the stereo field lately to make all instruments audible, but in this case I could move it all a bit more towards the center I guess, I just hope it won't affect the sound too much.

(06-23-2014, 05:25 PM)Archer Wrote: I'll see what I can do about the panning though, I tend to make use of all available space in the stereo field lately to make all instruments audible, but in this case I could move it all a bit more towards the center I guess, I just hope it won't affect the sound too much.

Panning stuff 100% L or 100% right is the sound engineer's decision and I won't argue with that. Early mixers had only switches "L/C/R" Big Grin So mixing 100% L or R sounds oldschool Smile

Hoeever on heaphones this is usually a bit hard to listen to, as it's very unnatural in relation to real-life situations (unless something happens inside one of your ears - tinnitus?).

I guess this is why Xonotic has headphones-friendly mode in the Sound settings - to reduce the panning width a bit.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I like it. Hope some mapper uses it, haven't played a map with it yet.
If it's done, then take off the Work In Progress tag?

This recalls me the music from quake2 "Stealth frag" by Sonic Mayhem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwu7QMumCzE
And some of its moments recall me the music from DooM "At doom's gate": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw

But still, the genre is electrical music(or what genre is); while it is old(2017), it is so nice to hear your music!
My maps:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Moon terror;
DM: Checkfriend, Last man standing remix (ctf);
Duel: tempullit, X air walker;
Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM, Kota-dooM4 (-2);
Race: Map packs;
Special: Triangle, Mid space 'em.

You can check out my other maps here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,605 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
  Good track styles for Xon - example inside end user 0 3,140 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Last Post: end user
Music Track: Clubix unfa 2 4,253 09-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Last Post: MathCubes
Music Track: "Monstro" - minimalistic neurofunk unfa 3 4,984 03-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
Music Track: Something for Everything Totally_Cool 4 6,732 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: unfa
  I actually finished a track for once... MrDetonia 3 5,304 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Last Post: MrDetonia
  Track: "Dark Space" - techno / house unfa 0 2,926 02-06-2015, 12:53 PM
  Track: "Dave's Dog" unfa 6 7,238 12-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Debugger
  Track "OpulenZ Prime" unfa 5 7,180 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Last Post: end user
Music Track "Puzzle" unfa 4 5,937 08-19-2014, 11:40 AM