Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic Trailer (help needed!)

Xonotic Trailer

Me and Archer are working on a new trailer. Archer have made the music so this time it can be shown on main website without issues! We need help though, since we want good gameplay footage in it.

What we are interesting in is action-packed gameplay moments on official maps (also no centered or left-aligned weapons, it needs to be consistent with what we already have). Nice frags are obviously prefered, but the most important thing is that there is a lot of stuff happening.

Modes:
  • FFA
  • CTF
  • TDM
  • CA
  • Keyhunt
  • LMS
  • Minsta (only one clip, no worries Wink)
  • Assault

Maps:
We are only looking for demos on official maps. We already have two demos for Stormkeep and Afterslime, but if you got really good one please send it.

Sending demos:
Please send them in PM, because then I can quickly notice them.

Progress:
  • Music [done]
  • Intro [done]
  • Logo [done]
  • Gameplay [done]
  • Outro [done]

Contributors:
NinjaWazzabi
Gatts
Halogene
kojn
asyyy
Nethicx
Mirio

This is the music so far, with some ambience included in the beginning for the intro shots (it's more for the show, not the real ambience you hear in the maps):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5189...ilerv3.ogg
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

(07-27-2014, 11:45 AM)Archer Wrote: This is the music so far, with some ambience included in the beginning for the intro shots (it's more for the show, not the real ambience you hear in the maps):

Pretty good track but I almost lost it with the build up at 0:38 as it felt like it was going to lead into dub step bass Tongue Luckily for you it didn't.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(07-27-2014, 12:10 PM)end user Wrote:
(07-27-2014, 11:45 AM)Archer Wrote: This is the music so far, with some ambience included in the beginning for the intro shots (it's more for the show, not the real ambience you hear in the maps):

Pretty good track but I almost lost it with the build up at 0:38 as it felt like it was going to lead into dub step bass Tongue Luckily for you it didn't.
Hahah, dubstep would be the last thing to fit xonotic imo Tongue

Listened to it, interesting track. Enjoyed it Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I have demos for everything except Minsta and Assault (only too old Tongue) and also quite recent Keepaway, Freeze Tag stuff if you want to show them.

That's great, please send them! Smile

Is it a problem if you disabled weapon model drawing?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

No problem! That doesn't affect the demo iirc.

I will post them in a few days.

I'll be gone in a few weeks, here is current and probably last render from me since Archer takes over project, I've sent him most meta files and such since the entire project is too big for me to send at this moment (50ish gb and I have to go soon while writing this). Anyway, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZjJUZ3...Eg-Il1y_EQ

Downloads:
Here are the meta files, just in case they get lost: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9j03eefhkmicqm...archer.zip

Please leave feedback to the video above, I'll be taking over the production and any feedback will be very valuable to me.

Great job! I mentioned this in IRC, so I'll mention it here too: the lettering needs to be changed to be readable on light and dark backgrounds. A dark border would probably do the trick! Right now the weapons text is hard to read against the light-gray background.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(07-31-2014, 11:44 AM)Antibody Wrote: Great job! I mentioned this in IRC, so I'll mention it here too: the lettering needs to be changed to be readable on light and dark backgrounds. A dark border would probably do the trick! Right now the weapons text is hard to read against the light-gray background.

Definitely, I had another type of text sequence in mind too, kinda like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5189...07-30.m2ts

But obviously with footage (and faster).

That text is much better! I'd just remove the hyphen from the beginning, since you're just showing the list items piecemeal anyway.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I gave machine my feedback on IRC.

The promise / idea is good, needs better execution though. Frags come and go so quick, even for me it's hard to follow feels a little disjointed.

I can explain more on IRC Archer, few tweaks and I think it will be a lot better Smile

Music fit's really well though I have to say, I like it Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Well not too shabby!! Although its missing vehicles Tongue How about a shot of a player jumping out of a Raptor mid air and landing/capping on the flag in Unsealed Trial? Although not sure if UT is an official map.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(07-31-2014, 01:32 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I gave machine my feedback on IRC.

The promise / idea is good, needs better execution though. Frags come and go so quick, even for me it's hard to follow feels a little disjointed.

I can explain more on IRC Archer, few tweaks and I think it will be a lot better Smile

Nah I get what you mean, I'll fine tune that part after the logo because it's still quite an inconsistent mess in my opinion.

I will share my progress on this thread (if I make any significant progress), and I'll make sure to ask you about stuff on IRC Big Grin

(07-31-2014, 01:35 PM)end user Wrote: Well not too shabby!! Although its missing vehicles Tongue How about a shot of a player jumping out of a Raptor mid air and landing/capping on the flag in Unsealed Trial? Although not sure if UT is an official map.

Could definitely use a good shot of vehicles in action (that spider robot thing would be neat).

If you got demos, please provide em Tongue

(07-31-2014, 01:52 PM)Archer Wrote:
(07-31-2014, 01:32 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I gave machine my feedback on IRC.

Nah I get what you mean, I'll fine tune that part after the logo because it's still quite an inconsistent mess in my opinion.

I will share my progress on this thread (if I make any significant progress), and I'll make sure to ask you about stuff on IRC Big Grin

(07-31-2014, 01:35 PM)end user Wrote: Well not too shabby!! Although its missing vehicles Tongue How about a shot of a player jumping out of a Raptor mid air and landing/capping on the flag in Unsealed Trial? Although not sure if UT is an official map.

Could definitely use a good shot of vehicles in action (that spider robot thing would be neat).

If you got demos, please provide em Tongue

Crap forgot I had to clean up the work computer and deleted all the demo Sad I guess I'll have to play some more then lol

Took a look at it. That's not bad. The only flaw I see is that in the second part (> 0.39') , video is synchronized on that guitar pattern, which is too short so as to get longer frag sequences.
Another minor remark: the snare drum (>0.15' => <0.27') sounds quite cheap imho.
Fat.bot.Slim

(08-01-2014, 03:53 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Another minor remark: the snare drum (>0.15' => <0.27') sounds quite cheap imho

Got any suggestions/examples of something that wouldn't sound 'cheap'?

Awesome, I like it.

-The slow-motion parts are kind of meh because of animations showing imperfections.
-0:22 runningman ctf scene is also meh
-1:00 meh too (xoylent)
-Xonotic logo is awesome, as mentioned needs contrast, or maybe if entire background turned to white/black.
-And other weapons should also get some screen time, its mostly rocket launcher.
-Maybe it would be better if there was a scene of some complicated jumping trick. :3

It;s gonna take a while before I can start working on this, got some upcoming exams that I need to prepare for (11th and 13th of august).

After that I can focus on re-recording all demos and finishing the trailer.

If machine is back by then and wants to continue work on it I'll pass it back, I mostly took over so he wouldn't rush the video off the day before he left because it was not ready at all.

I already made the preparations though:
-Installed linux on some VM and got Kdenlive running, I'll most likely transfer everything to a different and more versatile video editor (on windows).
-Got a free 1tb drive for recording now

I think it should be longer in order to allow for longer clips. Remember that if you produce it you know the clips exactly so your brain needs about half the time to understand the sceneries when watching the compiled video compared to a viewer that has never seen the clip. I found myself still processing a scene while the scene following on that already had finished... but that might be related to age as well... in any case I'd encourage to be a bit more elaborate, maybe use clips that show off several aspects in a row so you can keep some consistency (using several weapons ("so many weapons"), then one weapon with primary and then secondary fire ("secondary fire modes")).

For my personal taste, the gibs are totally ugly and way too much. Are they at default setting? I always play with gibs disabled, so I seem to have lost any reasonable basis to judge them.

Oh, and just so this doesn't seem like nagging: I absolutely approve the approach to make a community trailer that can license-wise be put onto the official web site! Great work, keep it up! I'm still working on a logo animation that you people might want to use for intro/outro :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(08-04-2014, 05:18 AM)Halogene Wrote: I think it should be longer in order to allow for longer clips. Remember that if you produce it you know the clips exactly so your brain needs about half the time to understand the sceneries when watching the compiled video compared to a viewer that has never seen the clip. I found myself still processing a scene while the scene following on that already had finished... but that might be related to age as well... in any case I'd encourage to be a bit more elaborate, maybe use clips that show off several aspects in a row so you can keep some consistency (using several weapons ("so many weapons"), then one weapon with primary and then secondary fire ("secondary fire modes")).

For my personal taste, the gibs are totally ugly and way too much. Are they at default setting? I always play with gibs disabled, so I seem to have lost any reasonable basis to judge them.

Oh, and just so this doesn't seem like nagging: I absolutely approve the approach to make a community trailer that can license-wise be put onto the official web site! Great work, keep it up! I'm still working on a logo animation that you people might want to use for intro/outro :o)

I can make the clips longer without making the video longer, got some ideas for that.

Besides, if there's lack of space I can always make the song longer, either by slowing it down or by adding pieces, but I'd rather avoid that.

Gibs in Xonotic were always ugly in my opinion, even the lowest settings for them produce way too many gibs, not sure if it is a variable that can be set to something different than the presets, but even if that's not the case I would rather leave them in because... People generally love to see gibs in games like this one. Leaving them out will do more harm than including them.

EDIT: cl_nogibs 0.8 produces a fair effect, not too many gibs, way less than "few", which is weird considering that "few" was cl_nogibs 0.75. Maybe the slider doesn't work properly?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just a thank you for the help. SEEK-fried 13 7,532 01-30-2024, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  New Translation Website! (Help translate the game!) Samual 79 95,684 06-22-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Muleke_Trairao
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,708 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  [FORUMS] A call for help: spambots Mr. Bougo 16 21,899 09-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Last Post: edh
  XQC #42 Demos needed KoalaBearScarf 17 15,134 08-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Last Post: KoalaBearScarf
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,426 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Xonotic: Trailer Fisume 34 51,001 06-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  We need an official trailer Droid 2 4,151 11-05-2011, 02:55 AM