Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sneak Peak of Xonotic 0.8

While talking about the new and upcoming features of Xonotic 0.8 is fun, it really doesn’t give the full perspective of actually seeing these things in action. I took some time the other day to do just that in the following video:

This video covers some of the major new things in 0.8. I hope you enjoy it!

A big thank you goes to Archer, who made the intro music to this video. Thanks!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Wow!Looks amazing!
[Image: 22172.png]

Pretty nice, Arc secondary is some kind of a pulse if I remember correctly?

And about hit sounds, this is not terribly useful, what about making the tone change according to target's health?

(12-24-2014, 10:17 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: And about hit sounds, this is not terribly useful, what about making the tone change according to target's health?

That could be too much information, no? Besides, aren't the player voices already dependent on health?

(12-25-2014, 03:04 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That could be too much information, no? Besides, aren't the player voices already dependent on health?
It's information, but not too much. It's a mechanic used in Quake3 and some other arena shooters and it's become a part of the basic choices of preferences. Anyone who plays Xonotic a lot knows by muscle memory how much HP a player has left or at least how many more hits he needs to die. Pitch shifting hit sounds would be more intuitive for newer players who aren't used to the pain sounds or weapon damages.

Right Mr. Bougo. Opponent health is not disclosed. The only indicators you have are the "pain" sounds and that is intentional.

As a 1v1 player, having a range of tones for hit sounds is incredibly useful. It tells me if I've hit close to the mark or if I've just grazed my opponent. This is particularly useful in spam situations, where I might not even see him/her. It's also useful in general for confirming if I've made a good shot with a splash damage weapon or not.

I'll also mention that there are three settings for cl_hitsound:

- Constant hit sound tone (1)
- Increasing tone per damage (2)
- Decreasing tone per damage (3)

I prefer 3, where you get a deeper, more bass-like tone for high-damage hits. This is just my preference ofc, and I can understand if people want a higher pitch for higher damage. Luckily we have the option for it!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Amazing work, as always, Antibody! I like how this new weapon overheats and jams for a second or two before you can use it again. Sound difference gives additional intel which is a great feature for dueling. Epic music intro (congratz Archer!). Server browser is clear and neat, keep it up!