Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Shotgun Cannon (large images)

Hello, would Xonotic perhaps benefit from such a model for any of its weapons?

[Image: shotgun_cannon1.png]
[Image: shotgun_cannon3.png]
[Image: shotgun_cannon4.png]
[Image: shotgun_cannon5.png]

This is the high poly version so far, with the low poly model roughly completed as well.

It looks great.

As the weapon appears to have 2 methods for firing it would could replace the Electro or the MinstaNex.

It looks very interesting. The thing that I always look at for weapons in FPS games is how the weapon looks from a 1st person perspective. So it would have to look interesting from the middle of the weapon forward. Your weapon looks most interesting at it's base, near the handle.

If you could show a 1st person perspective view, that would be good.

Indeed Smile here are the 1st person views. One with and one without the side thingies, as it can be mirrored over if need be.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/1st_person_shotgun2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/1st_person_shotgun.png

(03-23-2010, 08:48 AM)Lamoot Wrote: Indeed Smile here are the 1st person views. One with and one without the side thingies, as it can be mirrored over if need be.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/1st_person_shotgun2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/1st_person_shotgun.png

I'll reply to the images myself and say that the model needs a point of interest when viewed from 1st person perspective. I already have certain ideas what could be done. For starters some sort of pseudo ammo/temperature/nuclear core metre indicator that isn't too specific and doesn't suffer from static textures (e.g. ammo count that never changes) + some pipes on the left side so the long shape of the barrel gets less boring.

I'll reply again and show a quick (rough) concept of how the 1st person view could look like. Polish, defining the shapes some more and details yet to come.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/1st_person_shotgun3.png

looks like a leafblower Big Grin

extremely awesome. perhaps it would look a little better a little higher, and rotated slightly, so it points towards the middle.

This looks better than the current shotgun in Nexuiz.

Better yet, no sight-like portrusion (it's a goddam shotgun, after all). I remember seeing this model on the Nexuiz forum. If somebody with talent (oblivion) textures it, it would be great.

I think your model would suit a grenade launcher sort of weapon, because it has quite a wide barrel.

It looks great, by the way Smile
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

yay he's back Big Grin hoping to see this in xonotic for the hagar model Smile

Hmm, it will be up to the texturer to make this look really nice or not. I think that from the first person view, that barrel looks too big... You could experiment with something similar as the current Nexuiz shotgun has, with the three pipes and a bulky part at the end (I liked this at least Smile)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(03-24-2010, 12:55 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Hmm, it will be up to the texturer to make this look really nice or not.

I also plan to texture it once the model is done. No worries there.

I'm not too fond of drasticlly changing the design since it was my aim to make a weapon that could fit the role of a shotgun but not include the standard shotgun design you see in all other games. Yes, it was intentional Smile I imagine this to be a sort of a nuclear-powered cannon firing depleted uranium slugs, with the end functionality and firing effect of shotgun or a super shotgun. The round part is the reactor, the main barrel is the barrel and its mechanisms and the small barrel at the bottom is an exhaust pipe or a coolant unit (but could be other stuff as well)

I'm never good at making standard things that fit people's standard ideas of what something should look like. For me it just feels wrong to not push designs in new directions and explore new ideas. Hopefully this won't make the model incompatible with Xonotic's vision.

Other than a super shotgun, the weapon could be used as a hagar/insta/other?

Some more progress. I've decided to keep things simple and not complicate with the 1st person view. I added a simple but still cool (imo) thing on top (and the fat pipe is staying). There are several reasons for this:

*KISS principle
*I'll have less work to finish the modelling stage and finally move on to baking (yuck) and texturing (yum)
*I'll be able to mirror the texture on more parts if I keep things more symetrical. This will allow me to use the 1024² texture more efficiently, virtually increasing the texture size of the model.

Here's the first person view (1024x768 so I'm only linking) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/1st_pers...simple.png And the side view, now with added thingy on top.

[Image: shotgun_side.png]

Hopefully I can do the finishing highpoly touches this weekend and also finish the lowpoly version.

cool cool, supercool!You can seriously hurt with that! Smile

Ok low-poly model done, 2145 triangles, more or less optimized.

[Image: lowpoly1.png]
[Image: lowpoly2.png]

And here's the part I changed for the high-poly model

[Image: highpoly1.png]

Next, it's baking time.

[Image: lowpoly2.png]

^^ Looks quite like a mortar Tongue
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Looks pretty cool, but doesn't look much like a shotty. Looks like it would make a kick ass mortar.

Looks more like a BFC (Big F****** Cannon) than a shotgun.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

I don't think it would fit the mortar, due to the double barreled design. But maybe.
Definitely not hagar, hagar model looks fine.

Very nice! I believe this is better than the current shotgun model, and could replace it when it's ready Smile (or maybe another gun, if it doesn't look that much like a shotgun)

I'm curious how it will look like when textured. This time it hope the texture stays at 1024 x 1024, or I believe we won't advance in quality from the current models.

Woohooo, normal map baking done Big Grin (with the exception of minor and easy to do tweaks). Excuse Blender's mipmapping, it optimizes way to early and results in crappy preview renders (should look better in Xonotic). I'm glad this step is done, as it's one of the harder (lots of mindfuck moments). Anyway, the next step is to bake AO and after that it's texturing time. Oh right, on the first person view, there's a part missing, didn't include mirrored parts (will look right when done)

[Image: normal%20map.png]
[Image: normal%20map%201.png]

That looks just wonderful! Can't wait Smile

A small suggestion if I may; Perhaps you could improve the poly count on that ring / crosshair a bit. It's the only thing that looks a bit square-ish in first person view. I'm talking about the exterior part of the ring in the second picture, in the middle-upper part, which has that button in the center. But that aside it's quite beautiful Heart

Also, I'm not sure if it could be used for anything other than the shotgun. If you look at the first picture showing it from the side, that lower handle makes it completely shotgun-ish. If anything, we could modify some effects and sounds too to make it feel like a stronger shotgun of sorts imo, so it matches the model.

The more I look at this model, the more I just LOVE it.
Dunno why, but it has a very "railgunny" feel.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Cool Smile

I made the round aimer button thingy rounder at the expense of *gasp* 10 more triangles Smile I also made those normal map tweaks I mentioned earlier and consider it more or less complete. Additional dents and such will be made, but only after the diffuse map gets done.

I'm releasing a WIP version of the model and its normal map as GPL 2.0 (or 3.0 if Xonotic needs it). I still plan to finish it, but I think it's time it becomes public and also avoid the disappearing artist / crashing HD syndrome Smile I repeat: Releasing the WIP model and normal map texture does not mean I plan to stop working on it. it's for safekeeping and experimenting if anyone wishes so. You will notice parts of it are missing, this is because Blender can't display mirrored normal maps properly and I'll mirror those part before it gets exported to Xonotic.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/xonotic/...poly.blend

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/xonotic/...malmap.tga

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Shotgun model from nexuiz v1.1 Kotangens 1 2,409 03-06-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,080 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  Shotgun stuff Droid 3 4,095 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Droid
  Free images for use in textures Antibody 13 11,120 06-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  Shotgun Idea Jergling 21 23,193 10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Kasofa
Photo Map Loading Images rainerzufalldererste 1 2,994 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Last Post: divVerent