Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more?

I enjoy the new toys. They are very fun and they keep things fresh. I have a few comments and questions though:

1. Calling them "new toys" makes sense to Xonotic (or even Nexiuz) veterans. However, it's not very meaningful for beginners, or for anybody who joins after these new toys are introduced. Perhaps we can call them something else? Extended set? Enhanced weapons? Exotic weapons?

2. I think randomly replacing basic weapons with new toys in legacy maps is a very smart idea. However, currently we don't seem to have a way to pick and choose each toy. If the mutator g_new_toys is set, all the new toys will randomly appear in the map. This makes balancing difficult. What if I have I only want T.A.G. seeker available to players (by pickup, not by g_balance_seeker_weaponstart)?

3. As the number of these new toys increases, what will the weapon system look like in the future? Do we update NetRadiant so mappers can start using new variables? Do we re-balance the weapon system as a whole? Or do we treat the Basic Weapon Set as the game's core, and leave everything else just for casual play?

Old toys! Old toys!

Regarding point 2, if you don't like auto replace rules, you can always make your own weapon replacements.

(07-13-2015, 03:07 PM)acerspyro Wrote: Old toys! Old toys!

Although funny, you have a point. These are probably better categorized as "toys", rather than core weapons. That way, balancing efforts can focus on the core set, and these "toys" can add various fun.

(07-13-2015, 04:06 PM)Melanosuchus Wrote: Regarding point 2, if you don't like auto replace rules, you can always make your own weapon replacements.

Yes, it became clear to me after @Mario's tip. Basically it's producing an .ent file from the map within the game, and replace the weapon items withthe special weapons, and add the following settings in the .mapinfo file:

Code:
settemp_for_type all g_new_toys 1
settemp_for_type all g_new_toys_autoreplace 0

(07-13-2015, 07:15 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Yes, it became clear to me after @Mario's tip. Basically it's producing an .ent file from the map within the game, and replace the weapon items withthe special weapons, and add the following settings in the .mapinfo file:

Code:

You don't need that, you can make server-wide replacements with g_balance_(weapon)_weaponreplace and replace all weapon pickiups of one kind with another.

Also note that g_new_toys_autoreplace 1 should already do sensible replacements that don't change the map that much.

(07-14-2015, 02:23 AM)Melanosuchus Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 07:15 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote:
Code:

You don't need that, you can make server-wide replacements with g_balance_(weapon)_weaponreplace and replace all weapon pickiups of one kind with another.

Also note that g_new_toys_autoreplace 1 should already do sensible replacements that don't change the map that much.

These are very useful replacement command to know. Thank you!

I thinks it begs the original question of the status of the toys. In this case, is it desirable these toys replace the standard set server-wide? Perhaps such a server would be a "toy" server?

The reason I did per-map setting is because for some maps, I still want some of the standard weapons to be available; for other maps, I don't. For example, it is a fixed replacement that flak replaces hagar (either always or sometimes, depending on the config). If I want both of them in the same map, I'd have to do a per-map setting.

Anyway, the more important question is whether we should stop treating the toys as toys, by, say, stop yelling "New toys new toys"? It has a lot of implications in the direction of the game, I think.

+1 to stop yelling "new toys, new toys!". I'm sorry, but it gets kind of annoying after a while.

I've edited my xonotic-20150825-data.pk3 to delete /sound/weapons/weaponpickup_new_toys.ogg and replace it with a copy of just plain weaponpickup.ogg. That works if I'm playing target practice against bots...

Now, if I'm running a server, is there a way to override this sound so that clients who join my server don't have to hear "new toys, new toys!" either?

It's very old now maybe it could just be "Toys! or Fun Weapons!"

Not entirely sure what all the fuss is about, but here's the server-side cvar to disable it:
g_new_toys_use_pickupsound 0
[Image: 230.png]

I put g_new_toys_use_pickupsound 0 in my server.cfg and it does not work as advertised Sad

Just in case; changes to server.cfg require either a server restart or inputting the commands directly into server console (or via rcon if you have it setup).

Although, it is possible this was added post-0.8.1, so you may need to update your server to autobuild by executing the update-to-autobuild script in Xonotic/misc/tools/rsync-updater (note: anything in Xonotic/data you added will be deleted, so make sure that stuff is in ~/.xonotic/data instead).
[Image: 230.png]

(12-31-2015, 02:31 AM)Mario Wrote: Not entirely sure what all the fuss is about, but here's the server-side cvar to disable it:
g_new_toys_use_pickupsound 0

Sorry to revive this. I somehow missed this reply.

It wasn't just about the sound (but thanks for the helpful tip). I was hoping that I could just enable a customized subset of the new toys.

Quote:However, currently we don't seem to have a way to pick and choose each toy. If the mutator g_new_toys is set, all the new toys will randomly appear in the map. This makes balancing difficult. What if I have I only want T.A.G. seeker available to players (by pickup, not by g_balance_seeker_weaponstart)?

Is it possible with the current code?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 631 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
  [SUGGESTION] Making Vanilla more enjoyable for Newbies Halogene 66 36,603 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,419 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] need more sunny maps like Solarium zwz 15 14,447 10-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: improvements that don't sacrifice gameplay lamefun 24 26,607 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Drauts
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,882 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
Brick [SUGGESTION] Xonstat - additional stats in stats for more stats rad dj flimflam 3 4,398 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] more discreet Sound for Devastator (RL) JoeMaro 4 5,355 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: JoeMaro
  [SUGGESTION] Make game knowledge/info more obvious - i.e. tips Archer 7 10,774 01-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Ideas on how to make the game more accessible spamyak 6 7,775 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Last Post: edh