Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Models

Justin, can you please send me the base textures you used so that the textures we get are more similar in the end, please.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

What software you use for normal maps? If you don't have NDo2 I suggest xnormal and njob.

http://awesomebump.besaba.com/

open source and cross platform.

I got some shadow issues on the model. How to avoid those? Is the overlaping texture map affects lightmap? Am I suppose to add second UV channel for lightmap specificly?
Aa: How are you doing with your models? I am waiting for your model so I can release them all. I also wanted to make sure they fit together and I have some pipes model to go along...

I think you are meant to get it right at the start...

Well, in the past few days i failed at texturing them unfortunately. I will hand everything iv gotten so far to you.

Since you called yours "boxy", i called mine Pipy.

Attached Files
.zip   Pipy.zip (Size: 8.41 MB / Downloads: 3)

Speaking of alien plants what about this?

Trem... Unvanquished, right?

Iirc their content is CC, so you can use them if you want, but they have no chance of going into Xon

[Image: pipy_preview.jpg]

Any advice, aa? I reworked the mesh... but made everything on your base (and didn't have to start UV mapping from scratch) Thank you a lot! I will post more information soon.

I'm not sure they would fit, Beagle

[Image: aliens.jpg]

em.... You rock. I suck.

Alien life would better fit on some kind of alien surface maps... most of our maps are tech facilities (which is a nice theme, but it can get old fast).
[Image: 230.png]

The high poly model you sent didn't want to open. Low poly was good but the textures I planned didn't work. So I had to improvise. It's still your base and your doing, so stop piting and cheer up. You are very good modeler but probably a little lazy Smile (then again every artist is in a way) I am opened to suggestions and the pipe connector we have been talking about. Just send it to me when you feel its ready and we can work it out.
Mario: I am not sure we will be doing this sort of alien stuff. We already have 3 models What do you think, aa? Is it worth a shot?

This is a video of how I created material for this model:

music of course was created by Archer

The .OBJ probably refused to open because it had actually contain multiple objects. I have tested importing it back into blender, and it actually worked just fine, but it may not be the case with Max.

Yes, I am certainly I am quite last, and with the added effect of stress I experience, it foes halt my productivity. I tried to get as relaxed as possible over the Christmas, but I am not good at that.

Yes some organic sculpted alien stuff should be cool I think, but there is the question of matching Xonotic theme. We should only consider it after the generators.

OK, here come the big turbine model. Named turbie, as all other models in this cute way.

I have spilt the model into 3 parts - the main turbine (1), the exhaust and heat recycling system (2), and a removable filter block (3). A few spare ones could be added lying around on a map.

Texturing advice: Make sure to put lots of bright yellow lines around the turbine air intake, and around the exhaust grids at the second unit.

I also exported the high poly modles as .3ds files, maybe that will be better.

[Image: 0_e0a45_d0cca1ff_orig]
[Image: 0_e0a44_cf786ed0_orig]

Attached Files
.zip   Turbie.zip (Size: 12.97 MB / Downloads: 3)

(12-31-2015, 06:34 PM)aa Wrote: Trem... Unvanquished, right?

Iirc their content is CC, so you can use them if you want, but they have no chance of going into Xon

Actually the CC-by-SA 4.0 is now one way compatible with the GPL, so you could in fact use Unvanquished assets in Xonotic (just not the other way around).

Otherwise: awesome work on the models everyone!

(12-17-2015, 08:44 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(12-17-2015, 06:22 AM)SPLAT Wrote: How about a new 3D quad and shield model? Ours looks like shit.
There's already one for Quad, it's pretty nice actually. Dunno why it's not official yet.

[Image: ujmOJXL.png]

Nah, this idea is so used that won't be so good in Xonotic, even 'cause it's not original. Look at UT, Serious Sam, Quake, they already got it ! Confused

Don't make Xonotic like other Arena Games, please Heart
[Image: 69200.png]

SPEAKING of models, We only have Gak Sad

By the way those alien plants are called Harvest Pods from Call of Duty Black ops 3

In Call of Duty you would open them with a fumigator, the fumigator is used to open pods in those pods you could get power ups or guns Smile

PS FORGOT: The pods change colors Green (Crappy Items) Then it changes to Red (Bad and Good) And Purple (Always Good Best of the Best)

That's a lovely model you got there but I can't open it in 3dsMax... It says that:
[Image: can%27t%20import%20it.jpg]
And there is apparently nothing to import.

But last time I could have imported low poly version of your model, what did you to back then that you didn't now?

Rly high quality model btw, I am looking forward to begin working on materials for it...

I dont know what i did and not did, but this time i have took extra care exporting, read and ticked all the right boxes and stuff. Hopefully this will work.

Attached Files
.zip   Turbie.zip (Size: 809.37 KB / Downloads: 2)

Only second model doesn't work. What did you do when you were exporting that one? O_o

Low or high poly? Do ALL other ones open?

EDIT: OK, i found a problematic piece of geometry. it was a weird edge that randomly stuck out of the mesh. Now it should work.

I just realized that them model failed to attach.

Attached Files
.zip   Turbie_2_Low.zip (Size: 4.93 KB / Downloads: 2)

Sorry guys. I had got a break for a little while, thanks aa for the model. I will texture it probably during weekend.

I am very sorry about what you are about to read and the lack of progress in this matter lately. I am super busy having exams and projects on my university, I dunno about aa but I hope we will finish this thing at some point. To be honest: Generators are ready but I really think they aren't what we have planned at all. They just won't fit a single map.

Hmm. I changed the approach. After testing these models in action, in the map I decided that there is no use for stand alone generator models like that. But worry not. I thought it would be better if we transformed those models to become more 2D kind of wall decoration. This way mappers could add them as interesting variation for the walls instead (walls seem to be the most important geometry in mapping).
Why did I change my mind:

1. We don't need high poly stand alone models like generators, If we place some sort of blocking thing its usually a column or something simply like boxes, debris, barrels, concrete blocks or metallic things. Or just wall.
2. Its impossible to make modular piece like that, since you can go around them freely and realize how repetetive they are
3. They are not as optimized as the brushwork or a custom mesh could be.
4. If we cut planear surfaces from them and try to compose them on the walls it could work as a decorative element for mappers, not too high poly but much more interesting effect.

Tell me what do you think. I am pretty sure I am making the right choice here however I was wrong before and I rly want to do this stuff some time. Even if this going to take weeks

Sorry again for slower progress on this but I had and still have plenty to do on the university (although not as much as previously). I am making wall pieces from previous generators, changing the textures slightly and using aa's fancy model (the white one in the screenshot).

[Image: walls_concept.jpg]

Shot from 3dsmax. No rendeing just screenie. Don't hate, pls. I am going to make this work. We went so far that giving up on this would be a shame...

So far I tried reading one tutorial on modular assets and it seems like those models are as little modular as possible. I will have to rework some things... I do hope that in the end they could fit within most maps as a nice detailed walls with simple clipping on top of them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,136 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,251 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,421 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,080 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,281 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,646 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,595 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 59,649 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Seeking artist for new character models MarisaG 0 2,282 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Request for Models Cortez666 6 7,274 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Cortez666