Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi! Who can offer 1vs1 advice?

Hi everyone,

I'm not really 'new' to the game, I was around during the Nexuiz era. However, I didn't really play much back in the day, and even now I play with pretty irregular intervals. However, I quite like the game and I'd like to become better at it Smile
So I was wondering who could offer me some 1vs1 advice!
I have recorded a random 1on1 that I played about a month ago.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWytoBNBWE

I've played some 1vs1's in which I got totally devastated, however in some matches my damage output was equal or even higher than that of my opponent. How do you folks deal with spawning mega's / weapons / staying alive on low health etc. etc.

Looking forward for you advices! Cool
Killerking =ulms=

p.s. ulms means Until Last Man Stands, my clan tag from Myth 2: soulblighter (my other favorite game!)

Welcome.

You can find people to help you in IRC QuakeNet #xonotic.pickup // http://webchat.quakenet.org/

And check out Halogenes guide - https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...bie_Corner

Welcome to the forums! I'm not anything of a professional or even good dueller and absolutely not known for my cunning tactical gameplay (quite to the contrary actually). But I can offer some advice with regard to item timing, which is the only skill in this game that I would consider myself proficient in. If you're interested, I can give you some training for that on a duel server. I'm mostly available during European night-time, starting from 21:00 CET or so. Highlight me on #xonotic.pickup at quakenet IRC, if you are interested. I also see some room for improvement with your movement, maybe I can help you out there as well.

Apart from that, if you haven't already be sure to make yourself acquainted with the mechanics of Xonotic. You still might find something worthwile in the Newbie Corner.

Edit: @Mirio: faster than me again, huh? Grrr. Well done :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I train you. 10€ per hour :p

Ok, basically it starts like that:
Step 1: Get a weapon.
Step 2: Rush to one of the big items (these 2 steps can be switched if the map is more slow-paced).
Step 3: Keep timing of that item (watch your timer regularly and come back in 30 sec).

If the enemy is in control, you can't be where he is (unless you know you have superior fighting skills), so just play hide and seek and take what you can get. BE PATIENT, if you followed step 3, you know when the enemy will be at the big items and you can deal some damage on him from the distance and challenge for the next item - but if the fight turns out worse than you thought, learn when to back the fuck off. Playing out of control is hard, but consider it survival training. If it's a fast-paced map like aerowalk it's also ok to die sometimes if you manage to kill the opponent when he is control => making him lose all his weapons is worth it and makes challenging for control much easier. Playing in control is just about timing: Don't give anything big away to the opponent. Timing in Xonotic is super easy because everything respawns after 30 seconds, so the cycle won't change if you are always in time.

Hope that helps a little.
LoverTaleb

Learn to airstrafe with left/right for starters, forward turning is for the prey.
Learn circle jumps. Utilize them into dodging and gaining speed faster.
Don't stop jumping at every sharp turn, you can keep the speed up by continuously bunnyhopping and it's easier to go around corners with left/right airstrafe.

You might don't like this but if you wanna be good TURN OFF MUSIC I mean literally you need to hear sounds of people grabbing items it will make you kind of bored but its the only way to play.

Thanks for all the tips! I've already read Halogene's newbie guide and applied some of the settings he suggests and I play without music. Looking forward to seeing some of ya'll online!

Human beings are creatures of habit. Many people will take the same routes over and over without even thinking about it. Use that to your advantage in 2 ways: Firing prediction shots to where your enemy will be going. If they are low they are probably going to run towards the nearest health bubble. If they have no weapon and they will run towards the best/closest weapon. Either beat them to the punch and take what they need or set up a trap either at the place of interest or around the corner. Secondly, realize that they are doing the same thing on their end. Realize what movements you make are predictable and change them accordingly. Later duel becomes more of a mind game at higher level Smile

There are many things to learn when becoming good at duel. The most important thing is control the items on the map. Time them and take them if you can.

In general try and take it slow. There is no need to rush at someone because your frustrated. Duel is more of a defensive man's game. Don't take fights if the odds aren't greatly in your favor. If you're unable to fight someone try and punish them whenever its convenient for you (dealing damage at an important item, shooting mortars and rockets behind a corner where you're safe from retribution) .

Weapon knowledge is very important. You should try and learn every little detail of each weapon you can. Not all the information is readily available in Halogene's guide. Know which weapon is optimal in certain situations, know spawn points, little map tricks (shooting behind teleporter in stormkeep and the wall in the nex room, all of fuses jump tricks) It's a never ending journey of knowledge.
[Image: 38443.png]

I also humbly suggest watching through my duel commentaries. I try to convey tips and tricks all throughout.

Here's the channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/antibodyxon
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I'll recommend also watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mmwI6lhy8
It is about quake but generally works for any game.
[Image: 62200.png]

The map hub3aero

Hey and welcome to this awesome place.
Antibody's duel commentaries as well as Halogene's noob corner is a good place to start. Since I am at it, I would also recommend asking SPLAT1 for advices :-) He can show you good tip&tricks in Xonotic. (He often do this for newcomers)

I hope you have a great stay!

Best regards,
[Image: 65153.png]

Note: it's a "Newbie" Corner. There is a difference between Noob and Newbie :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(02-10-2016, 12:20 PM)Halogene Wrote: Note: it's a "Newbie" Corner. There is a difference between Noob and Newbie :o)

Sorry for that Tongue
EDIT: Newbie-corner ;-)
[Image: 65153.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Im new and you can pm me to 1v1 Infradragon 2 1,633 07-17-2020, 06:45 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Where can I get one these cool xonotic signatures where my stats are displayed? R+e^i 4 4,982 12-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: R+e^i
  StopForumSpam can bite my *** DW_ 7 6,802 06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Last Post: DW_