Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
insult makes us look bad

To provide a bit of additional context: my friend teaches Game Design in one of the top universities; he was looking for some open source projects for his students to study or contribute to as their projects. I wanted to recommend Xonotic, but he has his concerns: recommending Xonotic (or any FPS actually) to his students would expose him and the university to potential lawsuit (because of the hate talks and insults students may encounter). He decided to look somewhere else. He knows very well that they have no control over the internet and they shouldn't be liable, but he'd rather not take the chance.

Oh well.

So there is literally one player in the entire Xonotic community who sparingly plays that's stopping them from trying/contributing? Come on. You are totally blowing this out of proportion. XSAX may be a troll but he can't be everywhere at once and he normally is only found on Jeff's server. Other than him, I have pretty much never seen anyone be rude or flame in this game.

Lawsuit over insults and "hate talks" on the internet? I think I'm missing something here. Unless they are some little sheltered kids who can't stand to be triggered by some obvious trolling, I think they'll be fine in the rare case he does find his way into their server. Last I checked, Universities are capable of hosting on LAN, thus making any contact with him next to zero. Anyone here would agree the community is extremely friendly, especially compared to other FPS counterparts. You have first hand experience of this BuddyFriendGuy and your friend should get a grip on reality. Not everywhere can be a little safe haven for sheltered millennials.
[Image: 38443.png]

(04-25-2016, 12:21 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: To provide a bit of additional context: my friend teaches Game Design in one of the top universities; he was looking for some open source projects for his students to study or contribute to as their projects. I wanted to recommend Xonotic, but he has his concerns: recommending Xonotic (or any FPS actually) to his students would expose him and the university to potential lawsuit (because of the hate talks and insults students may encounter). He decided to look somewhere else. He knows very well that they have no control over the internet and they shouldn't be liable, but he'd rather not take the chance.

Oh well.

Then he should recommend any game or software where it is possible to communicate with other people.
[Image: 62200.png]

(04-25-2016, 06:08 AM)SPLAT Wrote: Lawsuit over insults and "hate talks" on the internet? I think I'm missing something here. Unless they are some little sheltered kids who can't stand to be triggered by some obvious trolling, I think they'll be fine in the rare case he does find his way into their server. Last I checked, Universities are capable of hosting on LAN, thus making any contact with him next to zero. Anyone here would agree the community is extremely friendly, especially compared to other FPS counterparts. You have first hand experience of this BuddyFriendGuy and your friend should get a grip on reality. Not everywhere can be a little safe haven for sheltered millennials.
(04-25-2016, 07:12 AM)boomboom Wrote: Then he should recommend any game or software where it is possible to communicate with other people.

He does recognize how ridiculous it is to be responsible for stupid talks out on the web. It's their legal department that's not amused by the lawsuit potential (plus he's not a big fan of paperwork, which he would have to do as long as one student files some complaints). LAN works for the design/coding part, but I believe he's also having his students doing some analysis on the real world behavior (the quantifiable kind, I think). I'm also curious what he ends up choosing. Some open source Farmville or Pony Adventure? I'll ask him when I get a chance.

(04-25-2016, 06:08 AM)SPLAT Wrote: So there is literally one player in the entire Xonotic community who sparingly plays that's stopping them from trying/contributing? Come on. You are totally blowing this out of proportion. XSAX may be a troll but he can't be everywhere at once and he normally is only found on Jeff's server. Other than him, I have pretty much never seen anyone be rude or flame in this game.

It's not just one player. I've encountered a handful different players myself. The types of attacks ranged from orientation and religion to country and race. Most of us are mature enough to recognize trolling but I doubt their lawyers would be as amused.

A ridiculous world we live in where one thin-skinned individual sues a university because of a troll on the internet. People have gone mad. Most universities are a joke nowadays. Trade school/skilled labor is where real men work mama.

Anyways, without going too much on a tangent... Farmville/Pony adventure? What a terrible step down in quality. Oh well, that's their prerogative.

XSAS went on the EVO test server yesterday but he was chill. Or maybe he is only a troll in Jeff's server?

I'm amazed by how some of you magnify this thing. I dont know if it is my latin blood or what, but as I've said before, I see zero problem here.

This is only a game.

(04-26-2016, 04:19 PM)SPLAT Wrote: Anyways, without going too much on a tangent... Farmville/Pony adventure? What a terrible step down in quality. Oh well, that's their prerogative.

I made that up. Was just being sarcastic. Smile Was going to say Tic-Tac-Toe. Smile

If they don't get on board ill unleash an army of XSAX's onto their campus and their progressive minds will trigger a massive implosion among the millennial collective. Both options work for me so pick your poison.

You have 48 hours

I hope internet is the only place where you can relieve from the stressful world nowadays, so don't take it too seriously.
I play pc games mainly because of this and I like to troll a bit too :>

(04-27-2016, 03:07 AM)Champion_The Wrote: I hope internet is the only place where you can relieve from the stressful world nowadays, so don't take it too seriously.

no man, playing games make you more stressed in real life. You get very upset and ragy sometimes, it affects you champ.

(04-27-2016, 05:33 AM)dekrY Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 03:07 AM)Champion_The Wrote: I hope internet is the only place where you can relieve from the stressful world nowadays, so don't take it too seriously.

no man, playing games make you more stressed in real life. You get very upset and ragy sometimes, it affects you champ.

that's right man, what was I thinking :> but it's like if you play a game you forget about the real life.

Just ignore them, they're likely to leave after some point. Responding to them just makes things worse from my experience.
The biggest hangouts for them are the European Servers.
Most people insult to troll you into reacting. If you don't react, they'll likely stop, and leave.
[Image: 29025.png]

(06-10-2016, 11:00 AM)OldNut6 Wrote: Just ignore them, they're likely to leave after some point. Responding to them just makes things worse from my experience.
The biggest hangouts for them are the European Servers.

Most likely because NA servers are mostly (sadly) dead.
[Image: 9214.png]

(04-27-2016, 06:13 AM)Champion_The Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 05:33 AM)dekrY Wrote:

that's right man, what was I thinking :> but it's like if you play a game you forget about the real life.
Basically like alcohol. Downside and upside included.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Give these kids a version that has con_chat 0 by default. If they enable it, that's their own doing. Problem solved.

Edit: but then again I am from Holland where it's not even too big of a problem to get your cock out on prime time television. So maybe all this law suit stuff is a bit too far fetched for me to come up with a more reasonable response anyway :p
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

PinkRobot,

A bit late for their purpose, but still a good idea. I didn't think of that at all.

I agree the lawsuit culture is out of control in the US. Some universities have a whole building for their legal department while their faculty struggles with classroom scheduling. (To be fair, though, dealing with external copyright/piracy lawsuits from record/movie companies is also part of their job.)

Ordinary trolling is bad enough, but imitating other people is even worse! I was just on Jeff's Vehicle server, where there were at least two trolls. Their response to me successfully initiating a votekick on one of them was to imitate my name, and since for some reason client numbers can't be shown...

When you join a server just don't say anything at all and just be a silent creep the whole match and don't even say "gg" or "hi" that's how I fixed my issues.

How does one ignore identity thieves? Even if I say nothing or do nothing, someone with low patience might try to ban the troll but end up banning the real me, since for whatever reason client numbers aren't showing in Jeff's Vehicle server.

(06-30-2016, 03:39 PM)Danfun64 Wrote: Ordinary trolling is bad enough, but imitating other people is even worse! I was just on Jeff's Vehicle server, where there were at least two trolls. Their response to me successfully initiating a votekick on one of them was to imitate my name, and since for some reason client numbers can't be shown...

That's been going on for ages. Was really bad when I was running my vehicle server 3+ years ago. People would come in an impersonate others. Eventually they get tired and disappear.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-30-2016, 04:14 PM)Danfun64 Wrote: How does one ignore identity thieves? Even if I say nothing or do nothing, someone with low patience might try to ban the troll but end up banning the real me, since for whatever reason client numbers aren't showing in Jeff's Vehicle server.
Well that happened to me on Jeff's Server it took me a month just to be literally unbanned.

(06-30-2016, 08:58 PM)Beagle Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 04:14 PM)Danfun64 Wrote: How does one ignore identity thieves? Even if I say nothing or do nothing, someone with low patience might try to ban the troll but end up banning the real me, since for whatever reason client numbers aren't showing in Jeff's Vehicle server.
Well that happened to me on Jeff's Server it took me a month just to be literally unbanned.

If there are two users with the same name check the time each one was logged in and ban the newest one.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

As for dealing with impersonation, I have only once had someone impersonating me. I told him that if he really wanted anyone to believe that he was me, he would have to chat a lot in game and always be friendly to other players. Also in that particular case he would have to play better ;o). That impersonation became boring very quickly.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

The impersonator is known as Duelix. He's been banned (albeit temporarily) from Jeff's servers, but a more permanent solution may be in order if he keeps this up.
[Image: 230.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tek Syndicate - took a look on xonotic zeroql 11 10,226 04-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Bad fps in latest git? noobermin 20 19,543 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Bad graphics? Or usable ones? FreakOfNature 20 21,733 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Last Post: RC-1140