Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning to spread Xonotic's exitsance around!

I have got to a point where I prefer Xonotic over my life-long friend Quake 3 Arena. And I will cut off my toes if thats what it takes to see this game succeed. Nice game, Nice community. What's there not to love? I feel at home here.

My goal has been to appeal to arena shooter veterans more, because I think they have more potential to contribute both in competition and content creation. They also know what they want and if they find something like that in Xonotic, they can connect easier to like minded players and can better describe what the differences are.

I've for example been frequently posting Xonotic related videos and events at: https://www.reddit.com/r/ArenaFPS/

Frag movies and tournaments helps to raise awareness too. We've been more "on the map" recently ever since Zlive streamed XDWC16.

It's cool that you want to appeal to veterans, but I think it would also be nice to "recruit" new players in the whole arena FPS scene.

Don't Spread Xonotic, we hid Xonotic to the world on purpose because we want to release it on 1.0 (Steam).

I doubt there's gonna be any game changer features at 1.0 anyway that justifies the delay for masses attention. For people who just simply want to play the game, it's already playable enough. Also given Xonotic's open source like nature, I don't think it's gonna be any cleaner server/mod/maps wise either. There's always gonna be that something everyone just wishes was gone.

I think there's another real reason why Xonotic is not on steam yet (or perhaps never will). Iirc it was related to stats or licences somehow.

I don't think the intention is to "hide" the game.
There is no reason why you shouldn't recommend Xonotic to others.

(06-16-2016, 02:42 AM)Beagle Wrote: Don't Spread Xonotic, we hid Xonotic to the world on purpose because we want to release it on 1.0 (Steam).

The "hide until 1.0" strategy seems dumb. The game seems to be stable enough to play on the day-to-day. The core is pretty feature-complete, and if people don't like the game now, they sure as hell aren't going to like it when it hits 1.0. Futhermore, deliberately limiting your userbase is a pretty dangerous thing to do. You risk your commnity becoming too small, to the point that nobody wants to play, amd your game dies. We should get reasonably feature-complete, and mostly bug-free, and then push for as much attention as possible, because as a multiplayer game, we live or die on the size and vitality of our community.

(06-20-2016, 02:28 PM)qwertyuiop924 Wrote: The "hide until 1.0" strategy seems dumb. The game seems to be stable enough to play on the day-to-day. The core is pretty feature-complete, and if people don't like the game now, they sure as hell aren't going to like it when it hits 1.0. Futhermore, deliberately limiting your userbase is a pretty dangerous thing to do. You risk your commnity becoming too small, to the point that nobody wants to play, amd your game dies. We should get reasonably feature-complete, and mostly bug-free, and then push for as much attention as possible, because as a multiplayer game, we live or die on the size and vitality of our community.

I also think it seems pretty dumb, but there's literally nothing stopping you from telling whoever you want about the game. No-one can tell you what to do.
I recommend Xonotic to people all the time.

sev is right. We're not hiding the game, we're just not focusing all our resources on advertising it.
The limited time of the small number of developers still available is best put towards finishing the game. You're more than welcome to spread the word about the game though.
[Image: 230.png]

(06-25-2016, 05:00 AM)Mario Wrote: sev is right. We're not hiding the game, we're just not focusing all our resources on advertising it.
The limited time of the small number of developers still available is best put towards finishing the game. You're more than welcome to spread the word about the game though.

Ah. Fair 'nuff.

(06-20-2016, 02:28 PM)qwertyuiop924 Wrote: The "hide until 1.0" strategy seems dumb. The game seems to be stable enough to play on the day-to-day. The core is pretty feature-complete, and if people don't like the game now, they sure as hell aren't going to like it when it hits 1.0.

If you ask me, Xonotic crashes very often for me, sometimes guaranteed when I fall off a space map or some specific actions in game. Worst case was when the game crashed immediately after map loading. It was related to some combination of graphics settings, my best guess, which I changed from to play the game.

I never was able to file a bug report because...

(07-18-2016, 03:08 PM)Iokast Wrote:
(06-20-2016, 02:28 PM)qwertyuiop924 Wrote: The "hide until 1.0" strategy seems dumb. The game seems to be stable enough to play on the day-to-day. The core is pretty feature-complete, and if people don't like the game now, they sure as hell aren't going to like it when it hits 1.0.

If you ask me, Xonotic crashes very often for me, sometimes guaranteed when I fall off a space map or some specific actions in game. Worst case was when the game crashed immediately after map loading. It was related to some combination of graphics settings, my best guess, which I changed from to play the game.

...and this is why I don't speak for the core team. That could be a machine issue, but it's just as likely a problem with Xonotic itself. Many of us run linux, and are thus not exposed to this sort of thing.

(07-18-2016, 04:02 PM)qwertyuiop924 Wrote:

...and this is why I don't speak for the core team. That could be a machine issue, but it's just as likely a problem with Xonotic itself. Many of us run linux, and are thus not exposed to this sort of thing.

Haven't had Xon crash on Win 7 yet but I don't use it enough mostly GIT on Linux.Af for the map crashing on load when joining a server that's been happening since around 7 or earlier.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I thought you guys were gonna do a QExpo booth? You really should. I think a lot of people in that scene would be interested in Xonotic.

It saddens me that OP has yet to spread Xonotic's exitsance.

Attached Files
.jpg   xonotic-exitsance copy.jpg (Size: 73.17 KB / Downloads: 110)

(07-18-2016, 04:32 PM)end user Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 04:02 PM)qwertyuiop924 Wrote:

Haven't had Xon crash on Win 7 yet but I don't use it enough mostly GIT on Linux.Af for the map crashing on load when joining a server that's been happening since around 7 or earlier.

^ I have experienced this myself with Windows 7 but I have narrowed it down a bit. This seems to occur when you alt-tab to Windows from Xonotic in the very moment you are connecting to a server. And I am not entirely sure what you mean with "map crashing on load" but my Xonotic just shuts down and I am back to my desktop. Funny thing is that Event Viewer says nothing.
[Image: 65153.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any south american players around? darkfire 3 3,168 09-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Muleke_Trairao
  Playing around with particle effects ==Troy== 5 6,666 11-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Last Post: unfa