Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Automated Xonotic Git build system

DO NOT USE THIS
This autobuild pack is outdated. If you want an easy way to play dev builds, use autobuilds. See this thread. If you want to compile the game, check the wiki for more info.
Old post archived in code block below

Code:
[size=xx-large][color=#FF0000]NOTE[/color]:[/size]
[size=large][i]This pack does [b]NOT[/b] compile a beta version of Xonotic. It builds Xonotic from the [b]development repository[/b] which might be [b]incomplete and/or buggy[/b]. It serves to facilitate testing before releases (beta or not). [b]The builds produced by the pack will not be the same as the official releases[/b] (e.g. uncompressed textures, dev build watermark, etc.)[/i][/size]

[hr]

[b]IMPORTANT[/b]: if you want to contribute to the project, I suggest you follow [url=http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Compiling_in_Windows]this guide (link)[/url] to get and compile the project sources. The tools are the same, but the pack presented in this thread is a portable setup, which is therefore not integrated in the environment and thus less practical to use for development (TortoiseGit won't work with it for example)

I have been working today on adapting divVerent's [url=http://www.alienTRAP.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3887]Nexuiz build system[/url] for Xonotic and Git.

The addition of Git binaries in the system has been a little problematic in terms of size, they come packaged in a 7zip archive... very efficiently compressed. The Git part is around 150 megabytes, the uncompressed totality of the pack is 225 megabytes.
7zip compression allowed me to pack this into a 22 megabyte archive.

The pack is a self-extracting 7z archive, it can be downloaded here:
[url=http://www.mediafire.com/?ptr763gf7vobhcb]xonoticbuildsystem-b02.7z.exe[/url] (Mediafire link)

Documentation is included in the html file in the root directory. There are two .bat files in that directory that you can run: build.bat and shell.bat

shell.bat will open a MSYS shell for those of you who like playing around in unix environments. It is not essential in the build process.

build.bat will download the Xonotic sources and data (approximately 2 gigabytes, however you will need more than the double of this of free space on your harddrive, 4.7 at the time of writing this)
It will then compile Xonotic and make two new .bat files available, starting with run-
One is for glx, the other for sdl, pick the one you prefer, or the one that works the best if you're not sure :P

I think that's all you need to know... Please reply to this thread if you tried this, even if it works, as I didn't try it a lot. It should work on 64bit systems too.

[size=x-large][u][b]Possible errors[/b][/u][/size]

[size=large]The main repo is not...[/size]

[quote]The main repo is not xonotic.git, what have you done?
An error has occured (see above).[/quote]

I have not solved this yet, and have no idea why it happens. If you get this error, please do this to help me diagnose it:
Open shell.bat and type those commands:
[code]
cd /xonotic
git config remote.origin.url
[/ code]
Post the result of the last command in this thread.

I havent tried to much yet, but everything seems to work here Smile (win7 x64)

Thankyou for this script - Now I dont have to switch my OS anymore to try out xonotic Smile

thank you, finally something like the Nexuiz SVN build script by Samual!
this means, it works great, out of the box, no effort.
even didn't break when my connection did! (more or less resumed its job on restart.)

there seem to be no maps or such included, so you may have to transfer some from nexuiz-data to xonotic-data dir; or just download it from the game-server. (i did see 2 of them)

the promode xonotic-game-server was quite faulty for me, map download did function, but all textures were missing. never mind the awkward gamemode.

Thanx again!

The online xonotic servers are often a little late on the developments, they aren't updated constantly... So expect some breakage.

For maps, you can download a few from this forum and put them in my documents\my games\xonotic\data. That will not always work, for the same reason as above... Paths to assetz might have changed, among other things.

There is another solution, but it's not easy to use yet... It involves switching branches in git... If you know how to do that in linux, you can do it in windows too, run shell.bat and cd /xonotic, from that point it's the same process in the two OSes. After switching branches, run build.bat.

noteven, you should not modify the contents of the xonotic directory, build.bat might refuse to complete later on... You can reset it in shell.bat, run the following commands:
Code:
cd /xonotic
./all each git reset --hard

Great idea but I gotta report an issue. I'm running Windows XP (auto-updates on, latest SP) and put the installer into d:\data\builds\xonotic_build_pack.

I started build.bat and it failed twice to grab some tmp_xxxx.pk3 or similar files (a file from the pk3 dir - sorry, don't remember the exact filename, but xxxx were 4 digits), and now all it says after clicking it is:

Code:
Setting up environment...
Short path name: D:\data\builds\XONOTI~1
The main repo is not xonotic.git, what have you done?
An error has occured (see above).

To answer that question: I double-clicked the script.

The same error appears when I try to ./all each git reset --hard btw.

I'll start over and see what happens...
spirit
my FPS maps

Ugh.

Open shell.bat, and run these commands:

EDIT3: first of all, tell me what this tells you:
Code:
cd /xonotic
git config remote.origin.url

EDIT: are you sure it was tmp_ followed by just four digits? I have no idea what that could even be... And what tried to grab the files? And did that happen during the first time you ran the script?
Did it start downloading the sub-repositories? (that would show bold text with lines starting in * )

EDIT2: did you have 5 gigabytes of disk space? You need that.
Did it say why tmp_whatever failed to download?

For the record, here is how to reinitialize the repository without re-downloading the huge sub-repositories.

Code:
cd /
mv xonotic xonotic-old
git clone git://git.xonotic.org/xonotic/xonotic.git
mv -f xonotic-old/* xonotic/
rm -rf xonotic-old
cd xonotic
git reset --hard

Works great! Big Grin Thanks.

(07-05-2010, 02:38 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: are you sure it was tmp_ followed by just four digits? I have no idea what that could even be... And what tried to grab the files? And did that happen during the first time you ran the script?
Did it start downloading the sub-repositories? (that would show bold text with lines starting in * )

EDIT2: did you have 5 gigabytes of disk space? You need that.
Did it say why tmp_whatever failed to download?[/size]

The file name was something_tmp_yyyy.pk3 I think but I'm not 100% sure. I already deleted the whole folder and started the batch file again, looks like it works this time. It already started compiling. Gotta go now but I'll report if anything else goes wrong.

And yes, it started to grab sub-repos I think but I did other things while the script ran and didn't watch very closely (and I also got enough hdd space, ~780 GB on that drive).

Thanks for this easy installer!

EDIT: Compilation went fine, game works.
spirit
my FPS maps

That's very strange :x

I added a small section in the first post to help diagnose the problem if it ever happens again.

just askin': why isn't this Xonotic build compatible to Nexuiz server/ game protokoll?

Particle numbers might be different, the weapon model systems are different, and other things that haven't been implemented yet and might make Xonotic even more incompatible.

Mr. Bougo, maybe this thread should be moved to the development section of the forum?

Then nobody will look at it Tongue

I considered that before, maybe I can put a shortcut in dev, but I think it should stay here...

thanks bougo =D
i have to try this later Smile)

EDIT: worked great Smile ty
info:
This message was written with 100% recycled electrons!!! Angel
No trees were destroyed and no animals were harmed.

thank you, it worked great,

now i dont have to fix my linux computer

Trying it out! Seems to work Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

It worked!!! When it was finished it worked!!! can't believe it Big Grin
thx for doing this!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Hehe, my pleasure Smile

since a while the script does not work anymore.

it ends with this:
Quote:========== darkplaces-sdl.exe (debug) ==========
make darkplaces-sdl.exe \
DP_MAKE_TARGET=mingw DP_SOUND_API=WIN \
CFLAGS="-MMD `[ -n "" ] && echo \ -DSUPPORTCG` -Wall -Wold-sty
le-definition -Wstrict-prototypes -Wsign-compare -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-ggdb -fno-math-errno -ffinite-math-only -fno-rounding-math -fno-signaling-nans
-fno-trapping-math"\
LDFLAGS="-g -ggdb -fno-math-errno -ffinite-math-only -fno-roundi
ng-math -fno-signaling-nans -fno-trapping-math -DSVNREVISION=`test -d .svn && sv
nversion || echo -` -DBUILDTYPE=debug -Wl,--large-address-aware -L/SDL/lib -lmin
gw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindows -lwinmm -lws2_32" LEVEL=2
make[2]: Entering directory `/xonotic/darkplaces'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `C:/Games/XONOTI~1/SDL/include/SDL/SDL.h', n
eeded by `sys_sdl.o'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/xonotic/darkplaces'
make[1]: *** [bin-debug] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/xonotic/darkplaces'
make: *** [sdl-debug] Error 2
An error has occurred (see above).
Press any key to continue . . .

in between are also a few pulling errors like:
Quote:+ git pull
Updating 48c1112..21c3782
error: Your local changes to 'scripts/trak5x.shader' would be overwritten by mer
ge. Aborting.
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Pulling failed. Press ENTER to continue, or Ctrl-C to abort.

Strange.... Can you open shell.bat, and type those commands:

cd /xonotic
./all update

And also, open a windows command prompt (that depends on your windows version, in XP Start>Run>cmd.exe, in Vista/7 just type cmd.exe in the start menu text zone and press enter)
and type this command in the prompt:
dir c:\games\xonoti~1\sdl\include\sdl\sdl.h

Tell me what it says.

I'd also like to know what "Short path name" shell.bat or build.bat gives you when you start it.

(08-03-2010, 03:34 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Strange.... Can you open shell.bat, and type those commands:

cd /xonotic
./all update

done, same effects/errors as above, no build ;(

Quote:And also, open a windows command prompt (that depends on your windows version, in XP Start>Run>cmd.exe, in Vista/7 just type cmd.exe in the start menu text zone and press enter)
and type this command in the prompt:
dir c:\games\xonoti~1\sdl\include\sdl\sdl.h

Tell me what it says.
it says 'directory or filename not found' (or so)

Quote:I'd also like to know what "Short path name" shell.bat or build.bat gives you when you start it.
c:\Games\xonotic

'xonotic' is 8 chars, so no truncation to 6+~1 anyway ;-/

i might repeat, that it did work with the same environment settings [/quote]before.

So you renamed xonotic_build_pack to xonotic? I don't understand why msys behaves this way then... Can you come to IRC? (quakenet, channel #xonotic, webchat link)

worked flawless

i will redownload and reinstall the whole package, although i didnt change anything (except directory name).
maybe something got somehow corrupted.

Can you come on IRC instead? I'd like to troubleshoot that issue for future occurences.

EDIT: told me on IRC he deleted the old one, new one works well... MYSTERY
If this happens to somebody else, don't try anything and come see me on IRC, or PM me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] How to build data AriosJentu 5 3,280 08-14-2019, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  WebAssembly Build Addison 1 2,333 04-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  Xonotic Git Help Molnija 4 5,150 01-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  A Garry's Mod / sandbox system MirceaKitsune 20 37,853 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Last Post: 3agle427
  Spawn system Mirio 57 41,265 05-28-2016, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SOLVED] setting proper git pushurl BuddyFriendGuy 0 2,318 04-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Exclamation git branch archival TimePath 2 5,740 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Cloning git? end user 2 3,433 09-15-2014, 03:35 AM
Last Post: end user
  Segmentation fault @ Xonotic(git) Ari 2 4,476 01-31-2014, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Ari
Lightbulb Easy to configure *map* balance system Samual 8 12,024 11-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo