Did I overdo the effects...?

No! It looks awesome!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(04-24-2011, 10:05 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: This is the evolution:
[Image: tOGVoag][Image: tOGVoaw]

Did I overdo the effects...?

I guess yes by looking at the FPS.

(04-24-2011, 10:05 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Did I overdo the effects...?

definitely! you use many many framekiller.

- big patch terrain
- reflecting glass (is it on a patch? seems that could be another fps killer)
- water/reflecting water (dunno which is correct ,but with this level of detail it kills fps)
- dense grass (kills also fps, if there is much of it)
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

it looks cool though :p
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I believe big patch terrain is an ok thing (or should be anyways). But too many effects will certainly kill the FPS. I recommend using env-maps for the glass (see how I did them on windows in Red Planet).

(04-24-2011, 05:52 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: I believe big patch terrain is an ok thing (or should be anyways).
it works, but as you can see on your Lord Of The Moths map as long there are only a few effects it works (it still has a huge impact on the fps). The best way is to use SavageX terrain generator or a dotProduct2 terrain
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/terrain1_1.htm description how to do it.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

True, I did a bit of an overkill making the glass actual glass (which means, reflecting grass AND water), but patch terrains isn't something of an issue. And, yes, grass is on a patch. I may try to do this by a terrain generator and then re-do the textures, but then I'd have to find a way of getting the checkpoint models out of the ground (so I don't get the entity-in-brush crap). Anyway, I'll be getting rid of the realtime glass, which seems to be the biggest FPS hog.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

you could make it more like a cloth awning.

Imgur Gallery

[Image: crylink-1.jpg?t=1304445660]

crylink model. I am looking for ideas for it.

Imgur Gallery

EDIT: fixed handle

Imgur Gallery

@theShadow: give the crylink a stock like every other weapon (well, laser needs new model too). I think that's what make it look out of place with other weapons.

What is the one with the fixed handle? I like it, especially the first-person view.

(05-03-2011, 03:09 PM)nowego4 Wrote: @theShadow: give the crylink a stock like every other weapon (well, laser needs new model too). I think that's what make it look out of place with other weapons.

What is the one with the fixed handle? I like it, especially the first-person view.

Not every weapon needs a stock in my opinion. The laser and crylink especially would seem weird with one.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

thats the machine gun Wink

you mean a rear stock? (the crylink has a forestock)

Imgur Gallery

Depends. Would energy weapons have much recoil? Unlikely. If they don't have much recoil theres less need for a stock I should think...
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Yes, I meant rear stock. What your model has is generally called a fore-grip, or just grip. The problem with not having a stock is it looks smaller and less powerful (which is fine for the laser I suppose) when the Crylink is really a decently powerful weapon.

The Crylink is a plasma weapon, it just runs off energy ammo (don't get me started...), also HLAC, Electro and most likely the 'arc cannon' models have stocks.

I support both of your MG models theShadow Smile

Not a weapons freak, but I always thought a stock was put in place so that you can mount a weapon to shoulder for a more accurate shot typically on longer range weapons. I also notice that a lot of shotguns in real life tend to not have them, probably because of the kickback and the fact that they're not precise weapons which are intended for close range.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

[Image: leycza83cajla4f7cry_thumb.jpg] [Image: 1dso8jlp28nn36kdm44_thumb.jpg]

[Image: kampl8j5ucdiopc60pn_thumb.jpg] [Image: v2dd9yikku5amuk4cc75_thumb.jpg]

[Image: d20vdwl5cgskeabb8cjj_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

w00t!! Michael Jackson effect???!!!

Fantastic design.
Fat.bot.Slim

that would be soo cool if the plates would lit up and fade slowly once touched by a player.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I don't know what do you mean under "slowly", but the tiles only lit up when you're standing on them, and only fade away after a second or so you've stepped off.

(05-05-2011, 07:56 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: I don't know what do you mean under "slowly", but the tiles only lit up when you're standing on them, and only fade away after a second or so you've stepped off.

Brilliant concept. That would make one-on-one very interesting, methinks.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

To easy to follow the enemy fc! But it might be usefull in new mode.

Move faster, double track, trick him. More brain work. Wink
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Good to see you actually implement this, C. Brutial. What is it? DM? CTF? Assault?

It'll be a small 1on1 DM map, not CTF. Also, I'm a bit afraid of this map, because the lighting up floors might generate huge traffic and also put a lot of stress on servers, so it might never be used as a real map, only a concept. Soon I'll have a playable alpha, and we'll see.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,079 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Videos of what you're doing. FruitieX 134 153,709 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM
Last Post: SpiKe