Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 19 Vote(s) - 4.37 Average
Screenshots of what you're doing.

@maddin: don't forget to make LoD versions of those plants as well.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(05-20-2012, 05:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: I guess I´ll optimise the models (->LoD) of yughues as they are rather high poly versions.
Wink Give me some time, it´s rather busy here at the moment.

right, guess I missed that. godspeed Smile

Imgur Gallery

As I said, unless you want to plaster a huge open terrain with hundreds or thousands of these plants, reducing the polycount will probably not noticeably increase the overall performance on 95% of the PCs.
Today texture/shader fillrate is much more the bottleneck than saving a few polys at the vertex side of things AFAIK.

Last post to be made NOT about the actual screenshots, but Darkplaces can render static geometry pretty well, even with gazillion polys, just saying...
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

mario 64 trees anyone?

what if we wanted to animate the plants? even just a slight waving animation for wind.

Imgur Gallery

There was a proof of concept grassy map, I can't remember now who or when made it. It was a big G, with shader generated grass blades. It looked awesome, but totally fake, because the grass were not moving.
Now, I added some movement in the shader.

120 FPS -> 5FPS

(05-24-2012, 09:26 PM)theShadow Wrote: what if we wanted to animate the plants? even just a slight waving animation for wind.

There are many ways you can go about this... I can think of 3 different (rational) ones.

1 - Give the plant texture a small tcmod turb in the shader key (so that the texture will waver around by a tiny amount). You must have enough transparent border around it in this case, else the texture will poke repeats around the edges as it circles. This should also not reduce performance, but is not very realistic. The mtree**.md3 models are an example of this IIRC.

2 - Give the plant texture a deformVertexes shader key (what water / slime uses for waves). This might be good for plants to simulate wind, by having the plant surface deform slowly. Note however that this reduces performance if done excessively... don't do it if there will be a lot of plants!

3 - Animate the plant model itself. If I remember right, md3 supports non-skeletal animations. You might be able to make your plant an animated md3, and make it loop as a misc_gamemodel. Morphed might know more in this domain.

4 - This is not a very rational way, but still posting just for the sake of it. You might want to make your plant surface out of BSP (or a misc_gamemodel attached with a misc_follow), and use an invisible and non-solid func_rotating or func_bobbing to have the code move the plant around. If you get a good entity setup, you might be able to obtain something pretty. But I really don't recommend trying this one at all.

Made the first LoD model this afternoon...

[Image: scaled.php?server=535&filename=tropicalp...es=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=341&filename=tropicalp...es=landing]

Very nice Maddin, I see no difference at all between them, so I guess that's a good thing Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

Tbh, the second picture is a little unfair because the plant is further away in the second half. But yeah, generally speaking they look pretty similar.

The second picture shows how it actually works in game: At a specific distance the LoD model will be showed instead of the normal model. If you don´t notice a big difference then that´s good. Smile

Nicely done. I don't see a difference between the LOD's either here, and it's pretty good.

Please remember to reupload the LOD versions to OpenGameArt Wink

I think it's safe to say you nailed it on the LOD model. It looks exactly like the high res one.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

that looks good

!! edit to avoid the unforgivable sin of double posting

.jpg   xonxon-shot1.jpg (Size: 56.83 KB / Downloads: 233)

got cubemaped textures working ... muahahah (100% gimp)

Art incoming. Just some miscellaneous(didn't spell that right the first time as Mr. Bougo pointed out) props. from the back: crates, drums, baskets, ladders.

How long is a piece of string?

(06-02-2012, 05:19 AM)anark10n Wrote: Art incoming. Just some miscallaneous(spelt that right first time) props. from the back: crates, drums, baskets, ladders.

Actually it's spelled "miscellaneous"

(06-02-2012, 05:51 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 05:19 AM)anark10n Wrote: Art incoming. Just some miscallaneous(spelt that right first time) props. from the back: crates, drums, baskets, ladders.

Actually it's spelled "miscellaneous"

Corrected. Thanks for that
How long is a piece of string?

Very useful! Thanks for making these Wink

[Image: ztazf0j12vz7g71auxo_thumb.jpg]

(06-02-2012, 06:35 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: [Image: ztazf0j12vz7g71auxo_thumb.jpg]

Great stuff. Just hope performance is also good for a full map like that

(06-02-2012, 06:35 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: [Image: ztazf0j12vz7g71auxo_thumb.jpg]

This must be pretty refreshing for Xonotic, since most of the arenas are indoors, or all flat, looking forward to it Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

Looks awesome, should provide some outdoor mayhem most commonly associated with Tribes.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,084 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Videos of what you're doing. FruitieX 134 153,931 04-01-2017, 04:50 AM
Last Post: SpiKe